Old fashioned German boys' names?

(88 Posts)
CantThinkOfANC Mon 25-Nov-13 22:34:57

DP and I have decided TTC in a few months and are having a good-natured bicker about what to call our DC. He is German, I am English and we live in the UK. For the time being (at least ten years) we will stay here.

His favourite name, Finn, was taken by his best friends back home six years ago. He would like very old, Germanic names that no one has heard of and I am stumped. Either they are ridiculous (Adalhard anyone?) or 'too modern', e.g. Max (although I know it's an old name but it's popular now).

He doesn't want: modern, popular, anything that his uncles/close male relatives were called.

I like (and he has vetoed): Karl, Max, Edward, Edmund, Oskar, Georg.

I am beginning to wonder if anything fits the bill? It's all highly theoretical, but good fun smile

Girl's name is sorted as my favourite for many, many years is Dorothea and I won't be budged/he's given in.

I've seen some excellent suggestions on here before - any ideas please? My prime motivation is that I suspect he is actually serious and I'd like to find some names that won't lead to our child(ren) getting bullied the second they go to school! I also have a name no one can spell and it's dead annoying. Don't want to lumber my kids with the same.

Frikadellen Wed 27-Nov-13 22:26:46

Hannes
Hans Christian
Friedrich
Ludweig
Albrecht
Heinrich
Emil

Or have a look here

family tree of german royals ALL dead :)

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 02-Dec-13 20:58:56

My grandfather was Johann Jogar but I like the names of Werner or Lucas.

badtime Mon 02-Dec-13 21:51:03

My favourites are (the very old) Albrecht and Waldemar.

(I know Waldemar is more common in Poland these days, but it is originally German)

pressingbuttons Tue 04-Feb-14 18:24:49

Christoph, Markus, Wolfgang, Kai ......?

tammytoby Tue 04-Feb-14 22:23:45

"Christoph, Markus, Kai ......?"

I wouldn't call those old fashioned. They are very much the age 30-40 generation.

Old fashioned German names are Otto, Wolfram, Heinrich, Walter, Dietmar, Franz, Friedrich etc.

Yay4may Tue 04-Feb-14 22:54:19

Someone way back in the thread had Henning. Love this!!

MaKettle Tue 04-Feb-14 23:07:42

Conrad?

OpalQuartz Wed 05-Feb-14 00:27:54

A family member has a baby Hans. smile (They live in the US though)

HanSolo Wed 05-Feb-14 00:44:21

Leopold
Sigmund/Sigismund
Heinrich

HoneyandRum Wed 05-Feb-14 20:40:32

My DD had a Henning in her class (we are in Germany) who was a great kid - she had quite a crush on him and I don't blame her.

German boys we know:
Albert
Johan
Johannes
Tiberio
Paul-Phillip
Maximillian (Maxi)
Lukas
Jonas
Sven

Inaminutenow Wed 05-Feb-14 20:48:42

Willi
Walter
Dietmar
Bernd
Richard
Frank
Hans
Hans-Peter
Georg
Ingo
Thilo
Ludger
Franz
Robert
Günther
Wolfram
Helmut
Hilmar
Heinz

HanSolo Wed 05-Feb-14 21:16:23

Ooh- I thought of Lohengrin earlier! Son of Parzifal... very old name.
I cannot stop hearing Wagner playing in my head now <sigh>

zenoushka Thu 06-Feb-14 00:49:41

Till

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now