Aidan/Aiden and Sebastian...

(14 Posts)
ClovisWrites Fri 22-Nov-13 16:48:23

Okay, two questions: what is the 'right' way to spell 'Aidan' / 'Aiden'? Is one way Irish and the other Scottish or something like that? I've tried researching but can't find a satisfactory answer, and also do you think it's one of those names that sounds like you're trying to sound Irish (which we're not)?

Also, Sebastian seems a lot more popular that when we were young. I always think of it as a 'posh' name though, do you think it sounds posh? (We're no more posh than we are Irish!)

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 22-Nov-13 16:51:50

I think Aidan looks better, but have no scientific basis!

Sebastian isn't as posh as it used to be but is still on the posh side of normal IMHO. I like it buy DH vetoed angry

SparklyFucker Fri 22-Nov-13 18:33:07

I prefer Aiden, no idea whether that's 'correct' or not. Sebastian is a bit more populr now than thirty years ago perhaps, yes, I love it but dh would hear of it because of the 'bastian is a bastard' possibilities.

meditrina Fri 22-Nov-13 18:35:03

I would spell it Aidan, like the saint, and I think it's a fantastic name.

Jamdoughnutfiend Fri 22-Nov-13 18:36:15

My brother is called Aidan - we have an Irish background -HTH

JapaneseMargaret Fri 22-Nov-13 19:35:09

DH is Irish, and is Aiden. Though it is spelt Aidan on his original, hand-written birth certificate, as that's how the registrar spelt it, and apparently no-one noticed...! grin

I prefer Aiden, as Aidan is too similar to Adrian, which is a name I don't love.

I really just think it comes down to personal preference.

Sebastian - not too posh, but then, I'm not English, so perhaps not best placed to comment.

dimdommilpot Fri 22-Nov-13 19:44:15

My brother is also Aidan. We are not irish. I love his name!
I also love sebastian, it is on my boys name list. I dont think its 'posh'.

ClovisWrites Fri 22-Nov-13 23:19:39

Thanks for your help all! I think I like Aidan, whether my DW and I will ever like the same name on the same day is another matter!

HoneyandRum Sun 24-Nov-13 06:33:37

I LOVE Sebastian. I actually was highly critical of my brother and SIL wanting this name for their ds [embarrassed] and they went with Samuel, but I was 21 and it was the 90s.

Now I know lots of extremely lovely Sebastians (children and adults) from a range of countries including Germany, Spain and the USA. So I don't think of it as a too-long name any longer - just a classic one.

ThisIsYourSong Sun 24-Nov-13 06:42:21

I've got an Aidan and I believe that is the traditional spelling. You (and he later on) will be forever spelling his name though. I like Sebastian too but really don't like Seb.

froubylou Sun 24-Nov-13 06:48:56

I'm 36 weeks pg with a baby Sebastian so obviously biased.

We are far from posh and I loved it but was a bit unsure what people would think of it but we have had very positive feedback. Apart from my 17 year old niece who was horrified lol.

No idea on the spelling of aiden but be prepared to spell it lots lol.

ClovisWrites Sun 24-Nov-13 08:49:45

Yes that's true, a lifetime of spelling your name out! Worth thinking of!

ClovisWrites Sun 24-Nov-13 08:53:58

Our other son's called Benjamin / Ben btw, and the odd thing is that loads of people have independently said Sam would 'match' Ben.

DefiniteMaybe Sun 24-Nov-13 08:58:45

I've got an Aidan I never even realised there was 2 spellings but everyone spells it wrong. It's ok now though he can spell his own name and corrects people himself.
It means fiery one and my Aidan certainly lives up to that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now