Having wobbles about name

(38 Posts)
BeanoNoir Fri 22-Nov-13 15:41:02

Ds is 3.5 months. We always knew we weren't certain on name but went ahead knowing we could change within a year. I love dd's name and always have and just haven't felt the same about ds's. Now if I say his name out loud it feels weird iyswim.Is this normal or a sign I should change it?

When people ask dd's name they often comment on how nice it is but people don't seem to do this with ds, which makes me paranoid it's not a good choice. But maybe this is a difference in how people respond to boys and girls names?

When I think about the name I do like it but just not sure. I wanted something a bit unusual but not too out there and something that would fit any walk of life/profession etc. I'm not sure now if this name does this.

The name is Leon. We also liked Ronnie, Dexter and Archie.

Has anyone else had doubts about a name? Is this normal or should I listen to niggles before it's too late? Dh says he also has the odd wobble/niggle about whether the name is right or not. I was just so sure with dd and this feels different.

MrsPatMustard Sat 04-Jan-14 12:48:00

Aaah, have just read all the posts properly and realised that you've already made your decision. Glad you're feeling happy with your choice.

MrsPatMustard Sat 04-Jan-14 12:45:57

Leo is a lovely name - couldn't you just keep Leon on the birth certificate and call him Leo informally?

freerangeeggs Fri 03-Jan-14 00:52:43

Leon is gorgeous! It's such a cool name

ToffeeJungle Thu 02-Jan-14 17:06:13

I LOVE the name Leon! Excellent choice! smile

BeanoNoir Thu 02-Jan-14 13:18:42

Thanks, it is a good name isn't it? grin

I know it shouldn't matter to me whether other people like it or not, but the fact that other people like it does make me happy.

scarletforya Thu 02-Jan-14 09:49:00

I love the name Leon.

I don't really like Ronnie. Dexter is very 'of the moment' so could date quickly. Archie is like Alfie, cute but over used.

TortillasAndChocolate Thu 02-Jan-14 09:32:42

That's brilliant. The name Leon is gorgeous and will definitely be going on my shortlist when I have another baby.

Glad you're happy with it now.

TheFunStopsHere Thu 02-Jan-14 09:24:55

Oh that's wonderful! Leon is such a gorgeous name. So pleased to hear you've adjusted to it.

Coconutty Thu 02-Jan-14 09:24:35

That's great, I think it's cool.

Glad you're happy now and thanks for updating.

okthen Thu 02-Jan-14 09:20:19

Aw lovely! I adore the name Leon btw, it would be up there on my short list if dd's name didn't also begin with L smile

BeanoNoir Thu 02-Jan-14 09:17:15

Just to update, Leon is nearly 5 months now and can't imagine him suiting another name. smile

Retroformica Sun 24-Nov-13 00:07:34

Really don't like dexter. Archie is ok I suppose. Ronnie is very very cute but Leon takes the biscuit! It was on our boy baby list - about 3rd down. Very gentle, cultured, warm but masculine name.

However I gave had wobbles too and what I would say is listen to your heart but wait before you act and change names. Without telling anyone practice new names on your baby for a few weeks each time. See how different names sit.

Coconutty Sat 23-Nov-13 20:36:58

Only you know if you are really happy with it, but it is very easy to change it should you choose to.

Do you ever call him Leo? I don't know any baby Leon's but do know 3 adult ones.

I would leave it for now and see how you feel in a month or so.

SS3J Sat 23-Nov-13 20:29:18

Yes Leon is a great name, you shouldn't worry about that! Maybe reconsider in a few months when you will probably be a bit less tired and overwhelmed. You have up to a year to change the name with the registrar rather than deedpoll. The wobbles might be from the emotional turmoil of a new baby! I hope you feel more comfortable with the name soon.

BeanoNoir Sat 23-Nov-13 18:44:08

Thank you for all your replies. Chatted with dh and went over the reasons why we chose the name, very similar to what's written on this thread. I think I was imagining a boy and a man with this name, not a baby. Also, despite wobbles, am pleased it's considered slightly more unconventional than the other boys names I listed. I look at him now, and even though I may not be 100% certain, it kind of is his name already, so I think I'll grow to absolutely love the name because it's his iyswim.

I think if I could think of a different name I preferred, or really regretted not giving him, it would be different, but I can't. I think maybe this time no name was going to be 100% perfect for us, but we went with the one that was the closest to it.

I'm hoping I don't keep having the wobbles, but I'll keep looking at this thread because the comments on it are really lovely smile

MamaLazarou Sat 23-Nov-13 18:36:58

Leon's much nicer than those other names. He'll grow into it.

squoosh Sat 23-Nov-13 16:02:16

Love the name Leon and thinks it's miles better than the other names on your list. It isn't a babyish though so maybe that's why you're having difficulty reconciling the name with the ball of chubby cuteness that is your son. But he won't be a baby for long and will grow beautifully into his name.

Having said that he's still so young, so if you both decide you've made a mistake it's better to change it sooner rather than later. Lots of people do this, don't worry what people might say.

LCHammer Sat 23-Nov-13 12:01:02

It's a good name. Don't doubt yourself over it. You can call him Lenny as a baby but no doubt he'll have the coolest name in his group of friends when he's a teenager.

Anjou Sat 23-Nov-13 11:48:15

I understand how you feel. Leon might be liked by some people and disliked by others, but the important thing is whether it feels like your sons name or not.

I was 100% about DS1's name but not as certain with our choice for DS2. For the first 4 months I was really unsure so (when it was just me & DS2) I would sometimes try the other names that we'd considered out loud. It helped me realise the name we gave him WAS the right choice.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 22-Nov-13 20:09:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

orangepink Fri 22-Nov-13 19:48:35

I LOVE the name Leon! It was our first choice for a DS3 had we had one! A classic, strong name IMO.

Quodlibet Fri 22-Nov-13 19:22:31

Leon is a brilliant name. I think it suits a baby through to adulthood. It would be very high on my short list but doesn't work with our surname am a bit jealous you can use it

TooTryHard Fri 22-Nov-13 19:17:26

I think Leon is a marmite name.

One dd has a name everyone loves and the other has a marmite name. I wobbled about that one quite a lot until she was a year or so but I'm so glad it's her name now. I love it! I don't care what others think now.

I think reactions are also different to boys' names which aren't obvious choices too. People are much more likely to use names outside the top ten for girls than they are boys. So people expect a boys name to be more conservative.

Congratulations by the way - I like it! It's very international too which I think is a good thing these days.

Spaghettinetti Fri 22-Nov-13 18:32:29

I love the name Leon and certainly wouldn't change it to any of the others you've mentioned. I can see Leon as being a name that would suit any professional...I don't think I'd want to see a solicitor called Dexter, but Leon, yes!

ClovisWrites Fri 22-Nov-13 16:58:16

P. S. I've known one Leon in my life and he was an Olympic athlete! And a nice bloke!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now