Patrick or Gabriel?

(31 Posts)
JohnSnowsTie Fri 22-Nov-13 11:13:24

Final choices for DC due v soon - preferences please? Thanos!

mimbleandlittlemy Mon 25-Nov-13 17:04:14

I'd love anyone to stand up to my 5' 9" (at the age of 11), rugby playing Gabriel and call him wet to his face... grin

marjolaine Sun 24-Nov-13 17:30:51

Oh, Gabriel, I love that name! Considered it for DS2 but some random relative named their son it just before he was born and it would have been weird. Plus I've only ever known two Patricks and both were awful (sorry nice Patricks!).

Love that curlew smile

My grandas were Paddy (Patrick) and Frank.

I'm (just) pregnant with DC2 and if we have a boy he'll probably either be Patrick or Frank.

DD is named after my great aunt (effectively my granny) who died just before I got pregnant.

Apparently baby naming makes me uncharacteristically family oriented grin

HoneyandRum Sun 24-Nov-13 10:30:29

They are both beautiful names with long histories. The Irish kept Gabriel alive in the English speaking world in previous decades because it is well used by Catholics due to the Archangel Gabriel announcing the incarnation to Mary.

curlew Sun 24-Nov-13 08:05:31

My Patrick is always Patrick, or an unrelated baby nickname, at home. Don't into why- it just never got shortened. He goes by a load of shortenings in other contexts from PJ to Pat to Paddy to Pa'h (we live in the Thames Estuary area!).

Never regretted it. Lovely name. And I love the fact that to his Irish great aunts and uncles he is still "little Pat"- because "big Pat" is still his much loved grandda- even though he's been dead for 9 years!

mummy1973 Sat 23-Nov-13 21:00:06

Patrick gets my vote.

HoneyandRum Sat 23-Nov-13 20:54:27

We have a Gabriel and love it. He is Gabe, was Gabey when he was younger but at 7 Gabey is starting to fade. I agree that's its international as he was born in the US and now we live in Germany and it works in both nations.

He is very tall and his dad is well over 6 foot so far he is not wet, far from it.

I also LOVE Gabriel Oak from "Far from the Madding Crowd".

My DH picked our son's name.

kawaii Fri 22-Nov-13 18:01:57

Love them both.

I'd go with Gabriel, just edges it as it's very international.

gwencooper81 Fri 22-Nov-13 17:58:32

Gabriel with 'Gabe ' as a nn . Patrick as a middle name.

ALittleBitOfMagic Fri 22-Nov-13 17:47:41

Gabriel

Velvetbee Fri 22-Nov-13 17:46:39

I have a Gabriel. Patrick was also on our list until we put it with our surname - Hunt.
Both great names though.

phantomhairpuller Fri 22-Nov-13 17:42:53

My cousin is Patrick. His nn was always patch- suited him when he was small. Not so much now he's a strapping great 20yr old!

His brothers middle name is Gabriel grin

CaroBeaner Fri 22-Nov-13 17:42:13

Gabriel is a great name - none that I know are called Angel any more than the Patricks I know are called 'Saint'.

Brandnewmamma Fri 22-Nov-13 17:41:28

Patrick.. I love it grin

I know a Gabriel.. His nickname is Pronounced gay - be

MummyBeerest Fri 22-Nov-13 17:39:50

Omg both are amazing names!

Depends-what letter does your surname start with AND have you picked a middle name?

This would help me choose.

squoosh Fri 22-Nov-13 17:39:23

Paddy is the only acceptable diminutive of Patrick in my opinion.

everlong Fri 22-Nov-13 17:36:56

I have a Gabriel Patrick smile

sandfrog Fri 22-Nov-13 15:18:33

Gabriel

poppydaisy Fri 22-Nov-13 15:15:20

I like Patrick but not the nickname Pat or Patty or Patch - is there anything else? Ricky?

Gabriel is nice.

Stat Fri 22-Nov-13 15:13:37

I like both. Patrick is a good strong name, whereas Gabriel is a bit more gentle.

I wouldn't worry about Gabriel being popular compared to Patrick. I think it is one of those names that seems more popular on MN than in the real world. Just had a look, there were about 850 Gabriels and 500 Patricks born last year in England & Wales (to compare, Harry was the most popular and over 7000 born last year).

aoife24 Fri 22-Nov-13 14:22:47

I'm for Gabriel too. Beautiful name.

squoosh Fri 22-Nov-13 13:36:54

Love them both.

Gabriels are always pretty hot in my experience.

Patrick!

Gabriel is a thoroughly wet name.

flakjacket Fri 22-Nov-13 13:26:29

Patrick. Agree that there are lots of little Gabriels at the mo.

DiamondsAndRust Fri 22-Nov-13 13:23:15

I'd go with Gabriel, with Patrick as MN. Both are nice, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now