Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would this put you off using a name?

(29 Posts)
thecakeisalie Wed 20-Nov-13 21:45:47

We were considering the unisex name Morgan for our DC3 probably more for a boy than a girl. It occurred to me tonight however that it may be a problem as our DS2 is called Dexter. So we'd have Dexter and Morgan, which considering the US t.v show about a series killer called Dexter Morgan I'm now thinking there's no way we can use the name!

I'm only 21wks gone so plenty of time to think of something else we like and it might not be an issue as we could be having a girl anyway. So am I right in thinking it would be a really bad idea to still consider this name?

Yes,it would put me off.

CountingStars Wed 20-Nov-13 21:58:04

I think it'd be cool to be honest, but that's just me, since i like the show.

HyvaPaiva Wed 20-Nov-13 22:00:38

Sorry, as much as I loved the show, it would really put me off.

bundaberg Wed 20-Nov-13 22:02:08

it wouldn't put me off because I've never seen it....
not everyone will have!

It wouldn't put me off, but I didn't get in to the show. Hasn't it finished now anyway ?
If you like the name for for it, the show will be long forgotten in a few years time anyway.

Bowlersarm Wed 20-Nov-13 22:07:57

Never seen it so no association here.

IAlwaysThought Wed 20-Nov-13 22:10:30

It wouldn't bother me at all. Great names btw

Figgygal Wed 20-Nov-13 22:11:00

I wouldn't as having watched the show and knowing the name I'd think it a bit twatty

thecakeisalie Wed 20-Nov-13 22:12:33

That's the problem we have watched the first 4 seasons so there is a connection there for me. I'm just wondering if it'd get weird reactions from other people?

Also just spotted my typo in original post obviously I meant serial killer not series killer.

So far mixed opinions... It's a pity its the only boys name I've actually liked this time. Having had 2 boys already were running out of ideas!

TickyTockTock Wed 20-Nov-13 22:15:21

Loved the show but it would be too strange.

Idespair Wed 20-Nov-13 22:18:31

Yes that would put me off.

Dexter is a cool name. But kind of funny with Morgan.

thecakeisalie Wed 20-Nov-13 22:19:39

Thanks IAlwaysThought - always nice to get a name compliment smile . Its so difficult trying to pick names as I said especially as this could potentially be our 3rd boy. We tend to like names that aren't unusual but not really popular either.

That's my worry Figgygal people would just think were weirdos (which to be fair we are) and we'd forever be justifying it!

Florrieboo Thu 21-Nov-13 02:18:42

I think if you had asked the question differently you would have gotten a more real response iykwim? If you asked what do you think of Morgan as a brother for Dexter and not mentioned the show you could have seen how many would make the association.

Love the name Dexter btw, but, not the name Morgan. What about Archer? That's good with Dexter.

thecakeisalie Thu 21-Nov-13 08:26:49

Archer is a good name except we already had a cat by that name as we like the animated show Archer.

Yeah maybe I would have gotten genuine responses but I kind of wanted to know what the opinion was knowing the association. I've liked the name for about a week and it only occurred to me last night about the show, now knowing the association I think I've completely put myself off using the name.

Floggingmolly Thu 21-Nov-13 08:31:25

Yes, I'd have got the association whether you'd mentioned it or not, and it would put me off.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 21-Nov-13 08:33:08

I haven't even heard of the show, but in your situation I wouldn't use it as you will always be wondering what people are thinking smile

curiousgeorgie Thu 21-Nov-13 19:46:06

I love the show but that would put me right off.

curiousgeorgie Thu 21-Nov-13 19:46:54

I know someone who has a Charlie & then a Lola though... And she did it on purpose!

lljkk Thu 21-Nov-13 19:58:20

It wouldn't put me off.

Frikadellen Thu 21-Nov-13 20:00:09

Yes it would put me off.

My all time favourite girls name is Monica but DH's is Phoebe and we named DD1 Phoebe so I couldn't get Monica.

puntasticusername Thu 21-Nov-13 20:00:29

I know people who proudly, early on in pregnancy, picked the names George and Lucas for their twins.

About a week before the due date, the penny dropped and panic ensued! grin

HandragsNGladbags Thu 21-Nov-13 20:02:16

I wouldn't have Catherine for DD2 in case we had a DS1 as we def wanted William!

I wouldn't do it

Minty82 Thu 21-Nov-13 20:11:55

Ha puntastic thank goodness they realised! Shame really, George and Lucas are great twin names. A friend of mine was all set to call her DS2 Barney and only put two and two together once she was actually in labour that her DS1 is Fred...
OP I've never seen the show so no connotations for me, and I actually think Dexter and Morgan work really well together. But I doubt I could do it in your shoes, having made the link!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Thu 21-Nov-13 20:59:46

I've never heard of the show.
You like unusual names, so I wouldn't worry about what people think. You and the children are going to be constantly asked if that's the first name or surname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now