Thoughts on Dahlia

(25 Posts)
MrsCharlieD Sat 16-Nov-13 18:37:41

Hi ladies

Just came across this name and think it's nice. what do other people think? Dh and i are struggling to find girls names we like. Dh and i are quite alternative (think metal and rock music and tattoos) so we don't want anything common or main stream. I like autumn but Im not in love with it? Any other suggestions?
Thanks ladies

Artandco Sat 16-Nov-13 18:38:30

Love it

SS3J Sat 16-Nov-13 18:41:18

It's quite pretty, but did immediately make me think of Aunt Dahlia from the Jeeves and Wooster stories! Not that that is necessarily a problem!

Astarael Sat 16-Nov-13 18:49:04

I really like this name. There is a Dahlia in Suburgatory (which is a sitcom on e4) pronounced Dar-lee-a. Would you pronounce it like that or Day- lee-a like the flower?

MrsCharlieD Sat 16-Nov-13 18:59:10

Oh i didn't realise it could be pronounced in 2 different ways. I think Dar - le-ah. Thank you for the positive posts. I've never seen jeeves and wooster so that doesn'tbother me z

lolalotta Sat 16-Nov-13 19:02:46

I like it! grin

Artandco Sat 16-Nov-13 19:10:11

Day- lee- a is the way most people I know say it.

Rosencrantz Sat 16-Nov-13 19:17:07

I know a metal, alternative 22 year old Dahlia, so i always think of it as a punk name!

Love it. She pronounced it Dar-Leah.

squoosh Sat 16-Nov-13 19:18:43

I say dah-lee-ah. It reminds me of The Black Dahlia which is a brilliant book by James Ellroy but based on a really gruesome 1940's murder. Not sure if that would put you off.

It is very elegant though, most flower names are a bit twee, this one isn't.

Layl77 Sat 16-Nov-13 19:19:03

I like it. I thought of the MTV show though may be worth having a look at that

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Sat 16-Nov-13 19:20:38

I know of two baby Dahlia's. I like it. Similar to Delilah.

MrsCharlieD Sat 16-Nov-13 19:25:22

Yes i know about the murder connection but it doesn't put me off. i think this one could be a winner! X x

TeaForMe Sat 16-Nov-13 21:57:57

I think you are likely to have a lot of people pronounce it day-lee-a, that's how I would assume it would be said (and I prefer that pronunciation tbh). If that doesn't bother you it is a lovely name.

Ramona and Stella have just popped into my head as names you might like.

sandfrog Sat 16-Nov-13 22:26:09

I like it. Also if you like plant names, Zinnia, Azalea, Aster, Calla, Bryony, Daphne, Linnea, Jasmine, Violet.

DessieLou Sat 16-Nov-13 22:58:33

I must live a sheltered life as I've never heard it pronounced Day-Lia! I would presume that to be an American pronunciation for some reason. Anyway, if we're talking the Dah-Lia pronunciation then I love it. Admittedly my first thought is of the black dahlia but that is probably because don't know of anyone with the name. Sorry, I'm waffling!

HeyJudith Sat 16-Nov-13 23:07:04

I would say Day-li-a not Dar-li-a.

I think this thread is probably representative that the name will be frequently pronounced both ways, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it (I like the name with either pronunciation and also the way it looks).

Anjou Mon 18-Nov-13 05:33:48

Black Dahlia is the first thing I think of too, but it doesn't put me off. I love it and would pronounce it Dah-li-uh, but those in gardening circles always pronounce the flower as Day-li-uh. A lot of people might mispronounce it, but you set them straight once and the jobs done, I guess. grin

Congratulations and good luck.

sandfrog Mon 18-Nov-13 09:04:20

I've only ever heard of Day-lia, not Dahh-lia.

MrsNormanBates Tue 19-Nov-13 09:21:31

I would pronounce it dar-leah-a and think it's a great name choice. Just the right mix of pretty and alt.

Suzietwo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:16:48

i love love love this but my children's surname is black so we couldnt use it!

HyvaPaiva Wed 20-Nov-13 16:57:44

Dahlia is pronounced Dale-yuh as in the Raymond Chandler film noir and flower. Just tell people you want it pronounced differently and they'll get used to it. It's a lovely name!

curiousgeorgie Thu 21-Nov-13 19:47:50

Love it! Pronounced 'dah-lia'

Beautiful!!

AuntieStella Thu 21-Nov-13 19:50:55

I think of the PG Wodehouse character - aunt calling to aunt like mastodons across a swamp!

In at context, it's the traditional English pronunciation Day-liya (flower name).

Mintyy Thu 21-Nov-13 19:51:37

I prefer Zinnia.

(The flower dahlia is pronounced daily uh btw).

curiousgeorgie Thu 21-Nov-13 19:59:04

I know it's supposed to be said like that, but I like it as a name pronounced the wrong way wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now