Archie or Ivan?

(21 Posts)
notadoctor Thu 14-Nov-13 19:54:18

Archie or Ivan?

Or if you don't think either, any other suggestions?

Also on the maybe list are Vincent, Reggie, Ronnie and Victor - although they're less high up currently!

sonlypuppyfat Thu 14-Nov-13 19:56:06

John is a nice name I don't think much to any of the ones on your list sorry.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 14-Nov-13 19:57:24

I've just read them out loud and the second lot sound like a bunch of villans.

Ivan at a push.
Archie is cute-ish but not that great imo.
And Vincent, Reggie, Ronnie and Victor are small-fry East End gangsters, no?

mumbaisapphire Thu 14-Nov-13 20:03:39

Collectively they do sound like criminals; Great Train robbers meets East End 1960s gangsters. So assuming you are just going to use one name in isolation, I would pick Archie. In all honesty though I don't love any of them.

CPtart Thu 14-Nov-13 20:15:54

Ivan at a real push.
The others are dreadful, sorry. Especially Archie.

Sammie101 Thu 14-Nov-13 20:18:02

Ivan definitely smile

Spaghettinetti Thu 14-Nov-13 20:29:40

I like Archie and I quite like Ivan, but I do think of 'Ivan the terrible' I'm afraid...and if he's ever naughty at school, I can see him being labelled thus! I really like Victor too, but would give Ronnie and/or Reggie a miss... What about Eric/Erik?

Draculasbride Thu 14-Nov-13 20:36:22

I second the Ivan the terrible theory! That's exactly what I thought.
Archie is cute and I like Reggie too what about Johnny or Isaac?

Madcaplady Thu 14-Nov-13 20:38:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCraicDealer Thu 14-Nov-13 20:40:22

Archie is a bit overused now, so defo Ivan. There was a kid on Child Of our Time called Ivo, which I thought was pretty cool.

NarwhalKnickers Thu 14-Nov-13 20:40:28

Don't like any except Ivan, which I LOVE!

Archie is the new Alfie, cute ish but super popular. Vincent, Reggie, Ronnie and Victor are all horrible. IMO. Sorry!

If you like older names how about Arthur, Richard, John ,David, Marcus?

TooTryHard Thu 14-Nov-13 20:51:17

Ivan is great and yy to Ivo. Always thought it was lovely on COOT.

MrsEllsmore Fri 15-Nov-13 08:15:08

My dad, grandad and great grandad are all Ivan's so that gets my vote. I don't think I've ever heard Ivan the terrible. That said it's not on my short list for a boy as I know dp doesn't like it shock

SmallMechanicalBrain Fri 15-Nov-13 08:19:57

Ivan's a brilliant name (not biased at all).
Nn wise though, Ivo doesn't always trip off the tongue easily, where Ivy does blush

It's fairly unusual, I've never met another Ivan, we've never had anyone say Ivan the terrible, so that's not really an issue.
Everyone says what a fab name it is.

notadoctor Fri 15-Nov-13 08:24:54

Thank-you! My family's from the East end so they don't sound especially like gangster names to me - just older generation. My kids won't be growing up there though so it's good to hear what people might think! I appreciate these might not be everyone's cup of tea - my DD has quite a marmite name!

Ivan the Terrible crossed my mind but I assumed it wouldn't be a reference other kids would know, if it's just for grown ups I'd assumed it would mostly be playful...?

I really like the Ivo as a shortening - I hadn't heard that before.

notadoctor Fri 15-Nov-13 08:30:30

And smallmechanicalbrain - Ivy was top of our girl's list for DC2 (we now know it's a boy) so that would be ace!

I think we're leaning towards Ivan.

CarryOnDancing Fri 15-Nov-13 09:55:01

I LOVE Ivan!!

From your list I also like Vincent and Victor. Those three are on my list. Funnily Ronnie was too but I removed it because of the "ie" ending which is just too popular for me right now. I love it as a nn but probably wouldn't use it as a fn.

I think Archie is just ok but is too nicknamey to me.

Good luck choosing and congrats on a great shortlist. You have excellent taste wink

squoosh Fri 15-Nov-13 11:40:41

Ivan sounds like a man who could get things done.

Archie would be useless in a crisis.

I disagree that Vincent, Reggie, Ronnie and Victor sound like a bunch of criminals. Vinne, Reggie and Ronnie certainly do but Victor would be the quick witted police sergeant who would bring them to justice!

Elsiequadrille Sat 16-Nov-13 01:35:38

Ivan is wonderful. Victor is ok. Not keen on the others, sorry.

snowqu33n Sat 16-Nov-13 02:02:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now