Sidney ('Sid') for a boy

(37 Posts)
AllTheNamesIWantHaveGone Thu 14-Nov-13 13:04:26

Hello

DP and I are struggling to find the 'right' name for our baby boy due next year.

Current forerunner is Sidney ('Sid'). But for reasons I can't quite put my finger on I have reservations about it. As silly as it sounds I think it's because I have never known a Sidney and so can't imagine what sort of person a Sidney would be .....

Anyhow, suppose the reason I'm posting this is just to see what the general view on the name is.

Thanks !

Tipseyturvey Thu 14-Nov-13 13:15:12

I don't not like it, and I suppose it's in the realms of the Archies and Alberts that are coming back into popularity but I can't get the thought of a 1930s flatcap out of my head for some reason. I think because it's fairly unique he'd make it his own more so than a 'Jack' or 'Michael'.

Spaghettinetti Thu 14-Nov-13 14:30:20

I love the name Sid! I was actually thinking about alternatives to Sidney myself the other day. I've only ever known two people called Sid, one was a Steven and the other a Siddarth, but I wouldn't want to use either of those names (as Steven's a bit boring and I'm not Asian, so can't get away with Siddarth). I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use Sidney, if you like it. It's still on my list :-)

Twoandtwohalves Thu 14-Nov-13 14:35:33

I like it. It's a family name but was never on the lists for our 2 DSs since it's still in "use". I'd like to think one of them might pick it up. I do think its in the same Grandad Chic range as Albert, Frederick, Harry - outside of my family members I think WWI Tommy.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 14-Nov-13 15:53:56

I think Jamie Theakston has one.

theignored Thu 14-Nov-13 15:56:42

my grandad was a Sidney known as Sid. He was a fabulous man! My niece was born on the same day he died and got named after him.

Parisbanana Thu 14-Nov-13 16:07:28

Love it! I know a Sid who is now 10, really gorgeous in all ways and a bit of a cool dude smile
Go for it

sandfrog Thu 14-Nov-13 18:29:05

I like it.

krisskross Thu 14-Nov-13 18:47:06

i totally love it. It is DS (aged 6) middle name and i love that its quite rare and cool. And like parisbananas friend, my DS is quite cool ! grin

Mouthfulofquiz Thu 14-Nov-13 19:21:56

I think it's really sweet!

Xfirefly Thu 14-Nov-13 21:21:33

Sid is my dogs name so I definitely love it grin

roseinwinter Thu 14-Nov-13 21:22:54

Love it because of Sidney Carton in ATale Of Two Cities- a true hero!

MrsEllsmore Fri 15-Nov-13 08:20:41

My grandad was a Sidney and if dc turns out to be a boy we are going to use it as a middle name after him, g'dad was a true gent with a smile for everyone, would be delighted if dc took after him.

AllTheNamesIWantHaveGone Fri 15-Nov-13 09:52:17

Ahhh ... thanks girls. Feeling a bit better that reactions to it are good. Think we should just go for it !!

(and if it's good enough for Jaimi Theakston ...... !!)

x

LemonEmmaP Fri 15-Nov-13 09:56:32

Just to add that if you do have a Sid, make sure you get the book 'Some Dogs Do' - it's one of my DS's favourites, and a lovely story. I also think Sid is a fab name!

killpeppa Fri 15-Nov-13 09:58:02

i LOVE it!grin grin

onlysettleforbutterflies Fri 15-Nov-13 09:59:15

Love it. Its my dad's name and he is pretty cool grin.

spicynaknik Fri 15-Nov-13 10:07:17

Um...I'd have reservations too. I'm really surprised at all the positive comments. I've met a little Sid and it just seemed like an old man's name, it didn't suit him at all. Personally I don't think it's in the same old man chic category as Archie, Fred etc. I think it's the male equivalent of Doreen. Sorry.

killpeppa Fri 15-Nov-13 10:09:19

I love 'old' names. not just the 'on trend one'.

harold
Reginald
walter,
are all personal favouritessmile

Cannotbelieveit Fri 15-Nov-13 10:27:06

I love Sid/Sidney grin

squoosh Fri 15-Nov-13 11:47:16

Sid is lovely, Sidney is ok but I think I'd be embarrassed shouting it out in a crowded park, but that's just me. I think it will always remind me of this chap.

SS3J Fri 15-Nov-13 12:24:44

I don't personally like it, but that doesn't matter! I don't think it's any weirder than Stanley, which is in the top 100 now. The main reservation I would have is that I get the impression that it is coming back as a girl's name. You might want to research that a bit that's all. But basically, if you love it, go for it!

AllTheNamesIWantHaveGone Fri 15-Nov-13 15:18:43

Thanks again all !

I must admit that I have only recently found out that Sidney is also used as a girls name (although I think the feminine form tends to be spelt 'Sydney'). Seems to be a bit more popular in the States than over here so won't dwell on it too much .....

Yes, I very much remember that Tetley Tea man too !

Thanks for the book recommendation !

ThursdayLast Fri 15-Nov-13 16:08:00

As far as I was aware the female version is spelt Cydney??? I'm not sure, I think I'm dredging that up from a Nick Hornby book???
Pronunciation is the same though.
I'll shut up now smile

notadoctor Fri 15-Nov-13 16:08:32

I love Sidney - but I do very much like that kind of name (Walter, Reg, Ronnie etc). I worked in a nursery with a Sid who was a lovely, lively little thing with a very cheeky grin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now