Is Cameron shortened to Ronnie doable?

(30 Posts)
FigRolls Thu 14-Nov-13 10:30:16

I know some people hate shortened names, but personally I prefer children to have a longer 'grown-up' name with an appropriate shortening for when they're younger. Elena to Ellie, Evelyn to Evie etc. I like both Cameron and Ronnie, but do you think they sound too dissimilar for it be used as a shortened version? I also like Flynn, but cannot think of a longer version. Opinions/preferences welcome please smile

GrandstandingBlueTit Fri 15-Nov-13 18:42:10

And unless the two sibling names in question are, say, Wayne and Montgomery, then the names matching really shouldn't be that big a deal.

They're going to be a sib-set for a much shorter time than they will be adults, living apart.

GrandstandingBlueTit Fri 15-Nov-13 18:37:54

You can shorten and or abbreviate a name however you like; there are no rules.

However, I'm surprised you think Shannon Elizabeth shortened to Beth is a 'stretch to far' and yet think Cameron/Ronnie is OK. There're both as arbitrary as each other...!

Bottom line - do what you want. Beth's Mum probably thinks your shortening is odd, but it doesn't actually matter what other people think, does it? smile

notadoctor Fri 15-Nov-13 16:12:05

I really like both Cameron and Ronnie and he'll have the chance to change his own nickname when he's older. Go for it!

Rosencrantz Fri 15-Nov-13 12:27:51

I think you'd be daft to.

Cameron is a gorgeous name, and Ronnie is dreadful.

Go for Cameron or Ronald, and embrace Cam and Ron.

flipchart Fri 15-Nov-13 11:23:37

But Ronnie as a name isn't shorter than Cameron. It's not like you are going from Theodore to Ted is is?

squoosh Fri 15-Nov-13 11:22:36

Cameron's pretty common is Scotland amongst kids and adults, they're nearly always nicknamed Cammy.

squoosh Fri 15-Nov-13 11:20:41

Flynn is a surname.

SS3J Fri 15-Nov-13 10:58:55

I think it's fine, but if you want another option, what about Ronan?

CarryOnDancing Fri 15-Nov-13 09:48:20

I can't see a single issue with shortening Cameron to Ronnie. I like both names and just as you do, I like a long and short name. There's no bullying potential with either so it's just personal preference.

If I posted DD's name and nn people would think we were potty as they in no way relate. I can't see why anyone would care though. You get to chose the names so there aren't any rules to say how many names you can pick or when to use them.

I don't like Flynn though. It has a completely different feel to me-more blonde hair surfer.

Spaghettinetti Fri 15-Nov-13 08:45:15

I think shortening Cameron to Ronnie is fine. As a teacher, I've met a variety of kids with a variety of weird and wonderful names and nicknames that don't necessarily correspond exactly (Aneirin- Nye, Calliope- Poppy), or where the nickname is formed by the end of the name (Henrietta-Etta) There is a 'Ron' in Cameron, so why not? Go with your gut instinct on this.

FigRolls Fri 15-Nov-13 07:30:47

Nooka - I agree about the end pronunciation. I do quite like Cameron and Cam as shortening but it doesn't really go with my other children's names as Ronnie does.

nooka Fri 15-Nov-13 06:56:09

I know several Camerons all of whom are known as Cam. Not sure that's a particularly great name to be honest. I don't think it goes to Ronnie very naturally because the 'r' is hardly pronounced, and the 'on' is more of an 'un' sound.

I like longer names with option too smile

the Cameron I know gets shortened to Camo. I also think its strange to want a nickname as well as a long name.

Lubiloo Fri 15-Nov-13 06:42:18

Cameron is nice but Cammy or Ronnie are both awful, as is Ronald.

Do you really need to shorten such a lovely name as Cameron,

Bunbaker Fri 15-Nov-13 06:26:14

What is this MN obsession with finding a nickname then trying to find a long name to match? Why not just find a proper name that you like?

mathanxiety Fri 15-Nov-13 04:32:16

I agree that Ronnie is too far distant from Cameron to make it a viable nn. The emphasis in Cameron falls on the first syllable when spoken aloud. Ronald otoh is the obvious choice.

If you think Ronald is a bit olde fashioned, how about Raghnall (Irish, pronounced Ranall), Ranald, Reynold, Randal, Rheinallt (Welsh afaik)

I don't like Flynn. I think it's faddy and it only became popular when people started casting around for an alternative to the very popular Finn. It makes me think of 'skinflint'.

funnyossity Thu 14-Nov-13 17:43:17

I know Camerons known as Cammy, seems the norm among Scottish friends.

How about Roderick known as Roddy?

Bunbaker Thu 14-Nov-13 17:35:34

I would never associate Ronnie with Cameron in a million years. I really like the name Cameron, but don't use Cammy as it will make people think of cami knickers.

tattiehowker Thu 14-Nov-13 17:33:04

Prefer the more usual Cammy as nickname for Cameron - if you want Ronnie why not go for Ronald?

looki Cameron is a classic, popular first name in Scotland - top 10 I think.

looki Thu 14-Nov-13 15:26:40

I do not like the name Ronnie one bit but I do like Cameron. I don't think I've ever come across it as a first name anywhere other than Australia.

I'd choose Flynn over Ronnie any day.

I presume Ronald is out of the frame?

FigRolls Thu 14-Nov-13 10:53:29

Any opinions on Flynn? Is Cameron/Ronnie better?

FigRolls Thu 14-Nov-13 10:53:04

Hmm only one I vaguely like is Rowan but it's too different to Ronnie IMO, and Rowan is common here.

Lancelottie Thu 14-Nov-13 10:41:37

Other long options (and I think all of them were suggested to Geronimo's mummy):
Aaron, pronounced as air-on rather than Arran
Rowan
Auberon/Oberon (don't!)

Meringue33 Thu 14-Nov-13 10:40:15

I know a Veronica nn Ronnie. As she is often to be found driving trucks, it does suit her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now