How would you pronounce this name - ANEA?

(30 Posts)
Tiredoutmum Mon 11-Nov-13 11:34:36

Just testing the water here...

My son has come up with a name for our daughter (due in December) which is Anea. We really like the sound of the name (as he is intending it) but can't work out how to spell it.

Anea is the best option but I am interested in how people would pronounce it if they saw it?

Please can you let me know if you would pronounce it An-EAR or An-EYA (as in the sound of Freya or the word Hay).

We are looking for the latter so if anyone has any other fail safe suggestions of how to write that I'd be very grateful. I love the sound but don't want to saddle the poor child with a name she is forever getting mispronounced and mis spelt.

x

Frontdoorstep Mon 11-Nov-13 17:49:14

I would pronounce it A nee a.

I dont think there is anything wrong with your son having made up a name, why not, he's part of the family and this gives the name a bit of meaning as to why you chose it.

Confitdecanard Mon 11-Nov-13 18:36:53

I would say a-nay-ah. I think it sounds lovely.

PiratePanda Mon 11-Nov-13 18:44:18

Why don't you consider Anya or Anais instead? An-EE-a (how I'd pronounce it) is a little too like urea for my liking quite apart from being obviously made up

aoife24 Mon 11-Nov-13 20:06:33

If you like the sound of it why not go for Aeneas? It is at least a recognised, if I suspect, rarely used, name.

aoife24 Mon 11-Nov-13 20:08:28

Oops, you're looking for a girls name, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now