Jasper, Casper, Hector or Fraser?

(45 Posts)
BananaHammocks Wed 06-Nov-13 06:09:34

Struggling to find the perfect name!

Like a lot of people on Mumsnet I want a proper names that's outside the top 100 but often there is a reason for them not being popular or they are shooting up the chart!

Darkgreener has a lot to answer for, it's made me soooo much more fussy!

madwomanintheatt1c Wed 06-Nov-13 06:19:52

The problem is, we all do. And sometimes, you pick a good name outside the top 100, then everyone catches the zeitgeist, and before you know it, your kid is a year older than the other fifteen x's in the school.

We all think we are jolly original. grin Truth is, those original names catch on fast. Ain't no joy in being a trendsetter.

I know a Jasper, two Caspers, two Hectors. (I considered Hector 12 years ago for ds1). I know one Fraser.

It's like Russian Roulette - can you pick a name you like that is sufficiently unappealing for no one else to bother? Or will you pick the one that everyone goes 'my god, that's it! I love it!' And it sweeps the country in a rash of Jacks?

Be careful what you wish for grin

BananaHammocks Wed 06-Nov-13 06:43:37

But the reeeeally unappealing names tend to have really good reason for being unappealing!

Maybe I should go with Amos or Jethro, I think they are both amazing names but they are both at the 1000 mark, though Amos is creeping up a little bit.

I'm just used to having an unusual name myself that has yet to get popular and I like the fact that it's always been MY name. Not sure how I'd feel if I picked a name and it was top 20 in 5 years!

I'm never going to make a decision sad

isitsnowingyet Wed 06-Nov-13 06:47:17

I like Hector and Fraser. Probably because I know a Hector who is really lovely and a lad Fraser who is also very nice.

We picked the names of our last two children after they were born, as it seemed easier to name them once they were there

Ecuador Wed 06-Nov-13 06:52:44

Jasper, Casper and Hector are dogs names.

Fraser is a surname.

I don't know anyone with any of the names if that helps though.

earlgray Wed 06-Nov-13 07:01:14

All nice. Prefer Hector because I know one, a baby of a friend and Jasper is my dh nickname for a wasp, Casper is a ghost and Fraser is a naff American sit com character!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 06-Nov-13 07:27:50

Fraser isn't just a surname, it is quite common up here as a first name (Scotland) - along with Campbell, Cameron, Finlay etc.

Personally, of the four you mention I like Hector best. To me, Casper is the friendly ghost. Jasper is a bit public schoolboy for my taste.

MiaowTheCat Wed 06-Nov-13 07:28:19

Fraser WILL get Frasier constantly and Frazer a lot. And will probably go through a teenage phase of insisting on being called Fraz to his mates which will make you cringe every single time.

As you may guess - we've one in the family.

pygmy Wed 06-Nov-13 07:56:47

I've got a 3 week old baby Hector (Hector Felix). I think it is becoming more popular. I also love Caspar. Jasper is the most popular of your choices I think.

I think they're all fab.

Though agree that Fraser is quite normal in Scotland.

I had a big crush on another 8 year old growing up in Scotland called Struan. Have never met anyone since called that.

Jethro is a bit beardy. Amos a bit of an old gardener.

Blaise?

RufusandJasper Wed 06-Nov-13 08:07:58

Like Casper and Jasper
Hector too harsh sounding for me.
Fraser not to my taste

If you like Scottish names by the way, Alastair/Alasdair is lovely.

tygertygerburningbright Wed 06-Nov-13 09:04:22

I love threads where ds' s name comes up... dog's name! Shocking!

Lubiloo Wed 06-Nov-13 10:23:59

I really like Fraser. Classic, strong and underused.

Really dislike Hector (to hector means to bully, to torment and a hector is a bully!) and don't like the nickname Heck.

How about Dominic, Quentin or Anreurin? I also like Amos very much.

13loki Wed 06-Nov-13 10:25:30

I like Jasper and Casper, but prefer Jesper and Kaspar/Kasper.

Ecuador Wed 06-Nov-13 10:46:25

I love dogs though tyger so see it as a good thing grin!

Dominic is lovely.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Wed 06-Nov-13 10:51:56

My ds is called Casper, as is a dog down the road. Thankfully, it's easy to tell them apart, since one is a boy, and one is a dog.

halecromp Wed 06-Nov-13 12:42:30

Fraser for sure, was on our shortlist. Quite like Jasper, don't like Casper or Hector

MorphandChas Wed 06-Nov-13 12:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaRegina Wed 06-Nov-13 12:52:23

Jasper - public school boy.
Casper - friendly ghost.
Hector - dog or cat name.
Fraser - nice solid boy's name - biased as I know a 'nice' Fraser!

SatisfiedOtter Wed 06-Nov-13 12:54:19

Hmmm Fraser is quite nice!

Yardarm Wed 06-Nov-13 12:54:51

Love Fraser. Probably not the others.

Pachacuti Wed 06-Nov-13 13:07:21

I know one Jasper, two Hectors and a Fraser. No Amoses or Jethros so far.

TBH if you love Amos or Jethro I would go with one of those.

KateCroydon Wed 06-Nov-13 13:20:33

Love Fraser and Amos. Hector is significantly worse than Nigel.

Londongirl84 Wed 06-Nov-13 13:31:50

I loooooove Hector!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now