Argh just can't find 'the' name:

(45 Posts)
lchats Tue 05-Nov-13 18:23:42

So if you've seen my previous posts you know that my unusual name for Dd1 plus a picky list of requirements means that I'm struggling to find a name for dd2.

Here's our not so short list rather than whether you like them or not (as I realise I have an acquired taste smile) but if they 'go with' dd1 called Briar?

Nb by 'match' I am looking for a name that is underrated/unique-ish rather than have a nature/floral theme etc...

Elizabeth (Effie)
Ellis
Eris
Felicity
Margot
Helena (Nell/Leni)
Cassidy (Cassidy)
Julia (Jules)
Hester (Hettie)
Xanthe
Lois
Margaret (maggie)
Carrie
Celia
Enid
Halle
Judy
Francesca
Stephanie
Nancy
Eloise
Agatha
Miriam
Miranda
Meredith
Georgina
Leigh
Talitha

Sorry I know it's long but I am lost and confused and 38 weeks!!!

brunette123 Tue 05-Nov-13 18:30:05

hi
Helena and Talitha go well with Briar in my opinion - I think a two syllable name sounds better rather than a one syllable and those are my favourite from the two syllable names. It is hard to answer this question without some preference creeping in. Hope that helps.

TooTryHard Tue 05-Nov-13 18:51:47

Preferences aside, I think Talitha goes well. What about Lena (pn Layna) as short for Helena?

I think most of them are too well known to match Briar but Ellis, Enis, Hester and Talitha tick the same boxes.

I think Jude and not Judy would be better for your criteria too.

Kaygunner Tue 05-Nov-13 18:52:53

Love nancy if I was having a girl this time she would have been either nancy or Thea

lchats Tue 05-Nov-13 19:11:06

Thx....interested to hear preferences but just think with such a long list it's so subjective! smile

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 05-Nov-13 19:14:26

Hester and Lois go best imo.

I see you have Margaret on your list, what about 'just' Meg?

Briar and Meg.

lchats Tue 05-Nov-13 19:17:51

Thx - could be Meg, dh loves maggie tho...

brunette123 Tue 05-Nov-13 19:37:28

sorry meant 3 syllables - am tired - apologies

Rhubarbgarden Tue 05-Nov-13 19:50:32

I love Briar and Margot together. I think they have the same 'feel', and they sound nice together.

eatyourveg Tue 05-Nov-13 20:27:56

rhubarb that makes me think of Richard Briers and Margot Leadbetter - they go together in the good life.

I'd go with Hester from your list and maybe Effie (but not Elizabeth)

Harrin Tue 05-Nov-13 22:35:56

I think Eloise and Lois go well with Briar. I think the names that 'match' the least are Stephanie and Margaret, but Maggie works

halecromp Tue 05-Nov-13 22:58:07

Briar is lovely, the two names that jumped out at me from your list were Cassidy and Meredith

FloatingHandle Tue 05-Nov-13 23:21:14

Margot
Helena
Celia

I like Hester the best.

Yika Wed 06-Nov-13 20:35:54

Briar is very androgynous and I'd go for something in that vein, so Cassidy and Leigh would be good from that perspective, or perhaps Ellis/Enis (though I prefer the first two). Meredith would also make a nice combination.

Littlecherublegs Wed 06-Nov-13 20:37:46

Hester

CarryOnDancing Wed 06-Nov-13 23:24:51

I love Felicity, Lois, Helena and Eloise (all appear on my own list).

However I think Eris or Xanthe go best with Briar. I think Lois would be in third place as best suited.

lchats Thu 07-Nov-13 08:36:53

Thx all really helpful looks like Hester, Helena, Talitha, Eris/Enis/Ellis/Effie, Margot, Cassidy and Lois are coming out top... Mmm interesting!

jobwoes Thu 07-Nov-13 12:08:22

I personally would go for another nature name. I like names like Felicity and Margot but I don't think they go with Briar. So what about:

Willow
Sorrel
Robin
Sage
Wren
Saffron
Primrose

lchats Thu 07-Nov-13 14:01:37

Thx nice names but not sure I want to go with a theme, esp nature as I'm not very 'in touch' with nature, if anything I prefer the androgynous idea proposed before so Robyn works... Prob why I like Elis or Eris....

Hazelbrowneyes Thu 07-Nov-13 14:09:20

Briar and Felicity
Briar and Helena (Nell/Leni)
Briar and Xanthe
Briar and Carrie
Briar and Stephanie
Briar and Nancy
Briar and Eloise
Briar and Meredith
Briar and Georgina
Briar and Leigh
Briar and Talitha

These are my favourite combinations from your list.

MrsT2007 Thu 07-Nov-13 14:36:09

I have a Lois, it's feminine without being girly. I really struggled with girls names!

LaRegina Thu 07-Nov-13 14:40:34

Completely unhelpful I know, but if none of those names are jumping off the list at you, I would say none of them are 'the' name.

lchats Thu 07-Nov-13 16:59:20

No you're prob right Laregina that's my big fear, and I'm due on the 17th confused But nothing else is sitting well either, I'm hoping for a miracle!

jobwoes Thu 07-Nov-13 17:24:32

In that case what about Hadley?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now