seasonal names at the wrong time of year?

(17 Posts)
MrsCharlieD Sat 02-Nov-13 15:24:24

Hi ladies

Do you think it is strange to call your child a seasonal name if they weren't born at that time of year? I love Autumn but my baby will be born in spring. Weird or not?

killpeppa Sat 02-Nov-13 15:25:01

I know a summer born on Christmas Day

puntasticusername Sat 02-Nov-13 16:01:53

Nah. If you like the name, use it. Would it really bother anyone else that much...?

HyvaPaiva Sat 02-Nov-13 17:08:17

The way I see it, a Holly born on Christmas Day will still be called Holly every single other day of the year for the rest of her life so any 'seasonality' on the actual day it's given really doesn't matter. Use Autumn regardless of birthday, it's lovely!

MrsCharlieD Sat 02-Nov-13 17:47:36

Thanks ladies that assures me a lot. I do have a tendency to over analyse things!

PinkParsnips Sat 02-Nov-13 18:12:12

No it wouldn't even cross my mind to be honest

kelda Sat 02-Nov-13 18:14:02

I remember thinking that it was weird that Nicole Kidman's daughter Sunday was born on a monday. But then Sunday is an unusual name, whatever day of the week you are born on.

Holly is evergreen so I wouldn't associate it with a time of year.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Sun 03-Nov-13 04:53:26

Ice think it matters, names like autumn and summer are well established names in their own right. I also like the name Winter.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Sun 03-Nov-13 04:54:07

That means to say I don't think it matters.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Sun 03-Nov-13 04:54:30

Meant to say! Stupid iPad.

MrsCharlieD Sun 03-Nov-13 09:44:37

Thanks winter, i assumed that's what you meant lol

I liked April, but felt odd using it in October. But I think Autumn is ok any time as is Summer. Also Holly is fine all year.

CountingStars Sun 03-Nov-13 15:42:00

My Autumn was born in April.

Morgause Sun 03-Nov-13 15:45:42

I always assume such names are seasonal and am a bit surprised if they turn out not to be. smile

Most ones I know were born at the "right" time.

Maryz Sun 03-Nov-13 15:49:14

I thought this was about Mumsnet Christmas names and wanted to post "It's only Fucking November" grin

I don't think it really matters, though I knew a May at school who was born on April 30th, and always felt that her parents might have just got the day wrong.

toffeesponge Sun 03-Nov-13 15:49:27

I think it is more ridiculous to name your child because of the season they were born. Ivy at Christmas or Summer in June is daft. My DD has a name related to a certain part of the year but if she has been born then she certainly would not have the name she does.

islasmummy2013 Thu 07-Nov-13 22:22:44

I don't think it matters, we've chosen autumn as well and i'm due 27/01/14 so she'll be a winter baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now