Is this a bit weird?

(14 Posts)
gemmaj66 Mon 04-Nov-13 19:13:31

Moochie I love Cillian/Killian and we've been considering it too. DH has Irish ancestry. The kill Ian thing never occurred to me until I read your post! DH's brother is called Ian but it definitely wouldn't put me off choosing the name.

CinnabarRed Mon 04-Nov-13 17:40:44

Tiernan is another lovely Irish name. If you decide that Cillian isn't for you.

Moochie01 Mon 04-Nov-13 17:39:11

Thanks Bee, that's really interesting! We've got some German relatives too so this name is sounding more perfect all round!

BEEwitched Sat 02-Nov-13 22:15:34

Killian is lovely, it's quite common in the areas of Germany I'm from because it was christianized by an Irish monk called Cillian.

SlinkyB Sat 02-Nov-13 14:50:08

I'm considering Cillian for ds2, who is due in Jan. I really like it, not thought of it as "kill Ian" before though! Luckily we don't know any Ians.

Tbh, I think you can over-think names. It's sooo hard!

BrainSurgeon Sat 02-Nov-13 14:39:40

Grrrr bloody autocorrect I typed Ians!

BrainSurgeon Sat 02-Nov-13 14:38:53

Hehe yes it's a bit funny. Do the two Ian's have a good sense of humour? grin

OnesieTwosie Sat 02-Nov-13 14:37:30

I wouldn't have thought of that but now you've got me wondering about my friend whose surname is Kilpatrick!

OnePramAndHisSprog Sat 02-Nov-13 11:07:11

Your post did make me laugh though grin

OnePramAndHisSprog Sat 02-Nov-13 11:06:40

I wouldn't have even considered it! Its just Killy-un to me. Great name.

Moochie01 Sat 02-Nov-13 11:02:14

Hmmm, well it's not pronounced Kill Ian, the emphasis is a bit different so I suppose that does change the sound of it slightly. I would say the closest would be Killy-n.

AbiRoad Sat 02-Nov-13 10:58:22

The ian in killian is not pronounced te same as Ian, or is it?

ZingWantsCake Sat 02-Nov-13 10:56:12

before I read through your post I thought "ha ha, Kill Ian!"

so no, I would not choose it, sorry

Moochie01 Sat 02-Nov-13 10:53:27

Still quite a few months to go for us, but we're enjoying thinking about names anyway!

I'm irish and my husband is English, with a very English surname. I'm keen to balance it out with an Irish first name and one of my favourites for a boy is Cillian (pronounced Killian). However, two significant relatives of ours are called Ian.... So I'm trying to figure out if it's too strange to have a name that sounds like Kill Ian??!? Or maybe I'm over thinking it....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now