Jack Jones

(50 Posts)
kaatieexox Sat 02-Nov-13 09:47:23

We are expecting our first baby boy in next few months. We are keen on Jack Alexander Jones but a lot of ppl have said its "mean" because of the cockney slang jack jones. Do you agree? I personally don't and think it is a good name but it's on my mind now!!

Jed
Jonah
Jackson
Jem
Jenson
Jerome
Jett
Joseph/Joe
Jorge

BestIsWest Sat 02-Nov-13 23:33:55

I agree Telsa. One of my heroes. A fine name for a fine man.

squoosh Sun 03-Nov-13 04:44:03

It's a bit too Joe Bloggs for me.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Sun 03-Nov-13 04:49:29

I personally like it

Chottie Sun 03-Nov-13 04:58:06

Sorry but a big no.

I know of someone who called their son Lee Cooper and to me this is similar.

getagoldtoof Sun 03-Nov-13 05:09:55

I wouldn't if you live anywhere near London. Jack Jones = on my own and always will for a Londoner, unfortunately as the name is lovely.

I quite like it actually, but I did think of the underpants range too!
How about Zac Jones?

I also know a George Jones who is fab

kaatieexox Sun 03-Nov-13 14:13:03

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm very keen on Marcus smile

TruJay Sun 03-Nov-13 17:11:26

I like Jack Jones, think it's cool! Also JJ as a nickname, I might be biased though my son's nickname is JayJay! Jack is a very popular name but to be fair I only know of 1 and he's 5. My son started pre-school this sep and there isn't one Jack in his class and they were none in any of his baby/toddler groups over the past few years

kaatieexox Sun 03-Nov-13 21:34:50

Thanks TruJay. We like JJ too and same I only know of one baby jack and he is 4.

clary Sun 03-Nov-13 22:50:13

DS1 knows a Jack Jones.

It makes me smile (because I know the phrase "on your Jack Jones = on yr own) but not DS or any of his mates so I am sure it's fine if you like it.

I know a Sam Smith (as in the beer!) but again, no peers raise an eyebrow.

Jack v v popular tho. I teach 3 (secondary) which is pretty low actually - I teach a lot more Jakes/Jacobs and Joshes (six of each).

kaatieexox Sun 03-Nov-13 22:56:29

Luckily no one has completely put me off which is good, was just playing on my mind more than anything! Now I'm just worried he won't look like a Jack when he's born, did that happen to anyone?

ZombieMonkeyButler Sun 03-Nov-13 22:59:38

My grandfather was called Jack Jones - I like it smile.

My DS1 is also called Jack (but not Jones).

Jack Jones is lovely. Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of Pat Malones in the world and that's also slang for being on your own. smile

Jake? Zack? Jacques?

kaatieexox Sun 03-Nov-13 23:03:11

I never knew that Pat Malones was! Thanks for that smile

Now I'm just worried he won't look like a Jack when he's born, did that happen to anyone?

Yup, we had a name more or less picked out for a boy and when he was born - it just looked wrong so we had to start all over again.

Astarael Mon 04-Nov-13 07:06:55

It's the dad's army reference for me too pelvic (and I'm not old) grin

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 04-Nov-13 07:11:14

Alexander Jack Jones sounds fab.

Why not just swap your names around?

kaatieexox Mon 04-Nov-13 08:50:13

I already have an Alexander in the family, but it does sound good. smile I'm keen on Ethan too but don't know if it goes with Jack.

delilah89 Mon 04-Nov-13 10:43:16

I think it's really lovely -- and sounds like an interesting grown up name too.

delilah89 Mon 04-Nov-13 10:44:24

p.s. Don't think Alexander Jack Jones sounds half as good, sorry! Jack Jones is a brilliant, brilliant name. And you can call him JJ!

nagynolonger Mon 04-Nov-13 10:56:41

Grandparents generation will think of Jack Jones the union leader. The cockney slang wouldn't spring to my mind even when other posters point it out.

I know a little Jack with the surname Daniels. I do think that's a bit odd. I wouldn't be put off by other's comments. If you like Jack Jones go for it.

Spottybra Mon 04-Nov-13 10:58:05

My teenager shops there. Please don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now