Jack Jones

(50 Posts)
kaatieexox Sat 02-Nov-13 09:47:23

We are expecting our first baby boy in next few months. We are keen on Jack Alexander Jones but a lot of ppl have said its "mean" because of the cockney slang jack jones. Do you agree? I personally don't and think it is a good name but it's on my mind now!!

SantiagoToots Sat 02-Nov-13 10:06:24

It's a clothing brand - like Mark Spencer! wink

Dollydaydream99 Sat 02-Nov-13 10:07:13

It makes me think of the shop rather than the
Cockney rhyming slang! smile

kaatieexox Sat 02-Nov-13 10:57:45

Oh yes it is! Oh mannnn! Is it to much?

My DS has a friend named Jack Jones, and he is always called his full name to differentiate him from the other 3 or 4 Jacks in their friendship group. Not saying this will be an issue for you, but consider him hearing it as a full name lots of times a day - if HE has an issue with the rhyming slang or clothing brand it will be come wearing.

Tikkamasala Sat 02-Nov-13 13:37:49

I think of the clothes, I have no idea about the rhyming slang, what does it mean, bones?!

sonlypuppyfat Sat 02-Nov-13 13:39:14

Its slang for being on your own isn't it. Being on your Jack Jones

I like it, sounds like a marvel super hero to me. I don't think that many people use Cockney rhyming slang anymore. I know some but didn't think of it straight away.

I wouldn't worry about the clothing line either, it probably would have faded out by the time he is old enough to care. It's a good name, you like it. Use it.

MrsDavidBowie Sat 02-Nov-13 13:46:29

There was a crooner called Jack jones.

ds went to school with a jack jones.

As my ds is also jack they were known as Jack D and Jack Jones. they are 13 now and that Jack Jones is the only other jack I have ever met under the age of 50.

ExcuseTypos Sat 02-Nov-13 13:55:32

My dd once had a party and there were 6 Jacks there.

She is 19 so it may not be as popular now, but there are a lot of Jacks around here.

kaatieexox Sat 02-Nov-13 14:41:04

Thanks guys... It was playing on my mind a lot and I didn't even think of the clothing line. We are struggling to come up with anything else as we want a strong name and we cannot agree on anything else!

Spaghettinetti Sat 02-Nov-13 16:47:22

I think it's a cool name. It reminds me of a rock star or super hero...

HyvaPaiva Sat 02-Nov-13 17:02:48

To me, it's the singer, the brand, the slang. Jake?

telsa Sat 02-Nov-13 18:50:51

Trades union leader is my association. Fine name.

comeandgo Sat 02-Nov-13 19:39:17

I read on an MN thread that if you call your child Jack, you might as well just call them Boy as its so popular.

I agree.

And with a surname like Jones, which is also very popular, I think you need a first name which stands out a bit, not blends into the wallpaper.

Khara Sat 02-Nov-13 20:26:08

Jack Jones is my mum's favourite singer.

What about:

Keir Jones
Gregor Jones
Nathan Jones
Mark Jones
Marcus Jones
Evan Jones
Patrick Jones
Duncan Jones

Lubiloo Sat 02-Nov-13 22:31:19

Wasn't Jack THE most popular boys name for a number of years..? And with Jones being a VERY popular surname, his name won't really identify him that well. I would choose a less overused first name, personally.

I like Marcus or Nathan Jones or how about
Reuben Jones
Quentin Jones
Dominic Jones
Robin Jones
Milo Jones

kaatieexox Sat 02-Nov-13 22:51:27

We want to try and stick with the letter j but I do like roman names aswell (as we conceived in Rome) but OH isn't keen! I do like Jacob but again, we can't agree!

Thecircle Sat 02-Nov-13 22:56:46

Jude?

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sat 02-Nov-13 22:57:36

My first thought was Jack Jones the butcher from Dad's Army - don't panic, don't panic!

It's possible I may be quite old, though.

Jago ?

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Sat 02-Nov-13 22:58:44

Luke Jones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now