Winter names for a girl ?

(50 Posts)
skybluedaze Fri 01-Nov-13 23:33:37

Any ideas for a winter inspired name for a girl ? It can't be related to flowers or leaves so Holly and Ivy are sadly not options....

Oi!

Nothin' wrong with Frigga.
<sniff>

wink

OddFrog Sun 03-Nov-13 17:56:50

How about Sylvia? It fits with the 'sylvester' period, I like the connotations of the silvery sound as it makes me think of frost on the trees and of course fits with the 'forest' meaning. Our DD is Sylvia Neve since it snowed while she was being born and we liked Niamh, but preferred a phonetic spelling, so although the pronunciation is different for the snow meaning, we've adjusted it to suit ourselves!

BumpAndGrind Sun 03-Nov-13 17:48:48

My 10 day old DD is Celyn, she was due Dec 23rd but came 9 weeks early!

It is indeed Welsh for Holly.

comewinewithmoi Sun 03-Nov-13 09:09:31

Noelle

myron Sun 03-Nov-13 09:03:30

Carol or variations derived from that

skybluedaze Sun 03-Nov-13 08:55:36

Don't worry Trucks.... Baby Frigga definitely not an option. Thanks for some great ideas - I love Gabriella and am still very keen on Neve ( to rhyme with Eve - even if it's misspelling the Irish name and the wrong pronunciation of the Italian ...)

icelyn
ivy
holly
robyn
blaise
snow
storm
joy
merrily
eve (as in Christmas)
avery (Christmas elf)

I know, I linked to Norse and winter goddess site up thread with Freya/Frigga. It's a shame it now means what it does in UK slang! But noooo....

BeigeBuffet Sun 03-Nov-13 01:07:23

I named Frigga more as a reference point because Freya is a lesser known name of that Goddess. I agree, don't call her Frigga

To frig means to erm, masturbate.
As in the rugby song 'frigging in the rigging'
Please don't. Freya is lovely though.

bunnybing Sun 03-Nov-13 00:57:54

Oh I think Frigga would be a lovely name!

Clearly you can't call the baby Frigga.

BeigeBuffet Sun 03-Nov-13 00:42:26

Oooh thought of some more...

Mary
Joelle
Paloma-means dove
Frankie
Joy
Gabriella
Josephina
Christina
Hannah

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Sun 03-Nov-13 00:13:46

Eira - Snow (welsh)

Eirwen - Snow white

Seren - star

Neve - snow (italian)

steppemum Sun 03-Nov-13 00:05:30

I thought Thalia meant blossom, so not winter?

BeigeBuffet Sun 03-Nov-13 00:02:36

Freya/Frigga is the Norse Yule goddess
Rhiannon/Rhianydd (Ree-ann-ith) goddess of winter solstice
Demeter/Persephone- linked to the changing of the seasons

Yika Sat 02-Nov-13 22:33:15

Sorry, Italian, onlyentropy is right.

Yika Sat 02-Nov-13 22:31:38

I think Neve is actually a variant of Niamh - which doesn't have a winter meaning - apparently 'bright' or 'beautiful' - but the spelling is the same as the Spanish word for snow.
Pretty tenuous connection but I'm trying to think laterally, and I think it's a pretty name. smile

buttercrumble Sat 02-Nov-13 21:04:44

Santa

onlyentropycomeseasy Sat 02-Nov-13 18:40:29

Neve is Italian I think. While Neige would be French.

onlyentropycomeseasy Sat 02-Nov-13 18:37:25

Eirlys is welsh for snowdrop. Endzela is Georgian for same. I'd have used one of these if Jan DS1 was a girl. Lumi is nice too - don't think I'd use it, as I don't like Luna either and they're similar. It is Finnish for snow. Lumikello is snow drop in Finnish I think.

skybluedaze Sat 02-Nov-13 18:23:52

Oooh thank you...I adore Stella but have been put off by friends who instantly say lager. Hester also very appealing and I think Yuki is beautiful but perhaps wouldn't stand up to English playgrounds. Christmas - certainly not now ( see above ) although I laughed a lot... Neve is gorgeous, particularly with our surname.... Does it mean snow or am I getting confused with neige ???!

babybellsmum Sat 02-Nov-13 13:10:05

Hester - Gaelic for star
Clara - from the nutcracker apparently
Robyn - our lg 's name. It really suits her and wouldn't change it but did find as a little baby we'd have to say 'with a y' so people didn't think she was a boy!

CordeliaRose Sat 02-Nov-13 12:57:34

I was going to suggest Stella - but you beat me to it Yika
Also Seren, which is Welsh for star, and Eirlys (snowdrop).

Yika Sat 02-Nov-13 12:35:52

Bianca
Stella
Angela/ica/ina/ique
Ermine
Cora
Neve
Viola (from Twelfth Night)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now