Opinions of Séamus?

(107 Posts)
ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 14:25:47

We've just found out that DC2 is, in fact, DS2, and I'm a bit thrown because I'm dreadful about picking out boys' names...

DH is Irish, I am English/Scottish (my Mum is from the Western Isles), and we had always said we'd give our children Irish or Gaelic names. The problem is, the only one we seem to be able to compromise on for a boy is Séamus, and I'm getting distinct "I don't like it" vibes from my mother.

I just wondered what other people think of the name?

We live in the UK, not Ireland, but we do have a very Irish surname. Other family connections are that there are lots of Jameses and Séamuses (sp?) on DH's side, and FIL was friends with Séamus Heaney, so I suppose it would be a nice tribute. DS1 is Eoin Pádraig, and DS2's middle name will be Peter after my dad. My mum says, "why don't you just use James instead?" but I think that's a bit odd considering DS1 has a very Irish name: we'd like the two to be similarly Celtic, if that makes sense.

Opinions, comments and virtual slaps all gladly received!

MinesAPintOfBlood Mon 28-Oct-13 15:37:33

Your mum has had her turn choosing baby names, now its your turn.

I did come on to say "Only if you're Irish" but you are, so that's fine. And you are aware there was a Harry Potter character "Seamus" which is where my mind immediately goes with word association, but that's not a problem really.

April13 Mon 28-Oct-13 15:49:48

I love it smile I am trying to stick to Scottish names too, but I would comprimise on anything Gaelic too. My name is Gaelic so I am biased. I am struggling for a boys name though.....

blondiep14 Mon 28-Oct-13 15:54:30

Absolutely love it.
Wanted it for all 3 DC!

squoosh Mon 28-Oct-13 16:01:34

LOVE Séamus! Séamí is a lovely nickname for a child and Shay/Sé works brilliantly for a man.

Your Mum has named her own kids, I wouldn't let her opinions bother you too much.

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 16:02:26

April, I had so many alternative girls' names if DH took against Eilidh. Boys' names are trickier for me!

MinesAPint, I don't remember Seamus in HP: he's not a ratbag, is he?

FarelyKnuts Mon 28-Oct-13 16:04:37

Lone voice of dissent here (Irish person living in Ireland). To me its a real old mans name and not one I'd hear used for anyone under 60yo these days unless passed down as son of fathers name.
There are so many fabulous Irish boys names but Séamus is not one of them imo.

Weegiemum Mon 28-Oct-13 16:07:29

April, I can offer my son and his friends names : Logan, Lewis (Leodhas), Harris, Lorn, Kyle, Aidan (or Aodhan), Ruariadh, Brodie, Brendan, Col, Pol (Paul), Alasdair, Duncan.

Gaelic etc names are great.

And, Chris, Eilidh is an awesome name. My best friend at school was Eilidh, my dd1's bf is also Eilidh. Dd1's best friend loves that Helensburgh (near us) is called Baile nan Eilidh in Geelic!

Bakingtins Mon 28-Oct-13 16:36:06

Seamus in HP is a minor gryffindor character and a goodie, no negative connotations there. He saves Harry's life in "The Deathly Hallows" by conjuring a patronus charm.

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 17:20:17

Phew, Bakingtins, I'm glad he's not a horrid character!

Weegiemum, I love Ruaraidh for a boy, but DH refuses to consider it, the rotten so-and-so...

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 17:20:52

Fair

Fairly

Fairly

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 17:20:53

Fairly

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 17:20:53

Fairly

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 17:20:54

FairlyKnut

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 17:23:13

Gah! Sorry, FairlyKnuts, I think my phone went insane for a moment there! I was trying to say, no worries about the dissent: I'm trying to get a sense of both sides of the coin.

FarelyKnuts Mon 28-Oct-13 18:12:57

Ha. Your phone having a fit was like being called in by your Ma when you were wee grin

KateCroydon Mon 28-Oct-13 19:18:20

Beautiful name. Plus it means private eye in Yiddish.

LadyRochford Mon 28-Oct-13 19:24:36

Love it. Wish I could use it but I think you need an Irish connection. Love Angus and Alistair too but am not Scottish so same problem.

ChrisTheSheep Mon 28-Oct-13 19:42:07

A potential career choice for a grown-up DS2, Kate? wink

TheFuckersonInquiry Mon 28-Oct-13 19:50:29

Brill name grin

ChrisTheSheep Tue 29-Oct-13 14:37:28

Thanks, all! It's definitely on the list: now, we just need to try to compromise on one or two more options, in case the little chap doesn't "look like" one name or another, if you see what I mean!

JoJoManon Tue 29-Oct-13 14:49:00

I am with FarelyKnuts on this. I am really not a fan personally.
As an Irish person (though living in UK), I concur that it is an old mans name in Ireland; never met anyone under 30 called Seamus. But if you like it, go for it, it's no ones business but yours.
That said, if you do want a current Irish name, that Irish people call their children, it's worth looking at the top 100 names in Ireland for the last few years. You don't get that many Irish names on it but Conor features regularly, as does Sean, Fionn (Finn), and Oisin.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2012/#.Um_Kgfm-1cY

squoosh Tue 29-Oct-13 14:52:57

I know one tiny Séamus in Dublin and one Sé. I think it's having a revival. Personally Séamus seems much fresher to me than boring old Oisín.

KateCroydon Tue 29-Oct-13 17:11:15

ChristheSheep, quite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now