Opinions needed please

(21 Posts)
missmuffin Sat 26-Oct-13 23:53:56

Hi - I'm a long time lurker and would really appreciate your thoughts on a name for my soon to be born daughter. I have a little girl called Honor and I'm thinking about Anya for her sibling.

Do you think the two names are too similar? Any other suggestions would be gladly welcome. Thanks

ThisIsMummyPig Sat 26-Oct-13 23:58:58

I think they are both lovely names, but it is a bit of a tongue twister when you put them together. As far as I can tell, that's only a problem for your family. ( I know a Jessica and Joshua, which the granddad hates, but it really isn't a problem the rest of the time)

Have you thought about Isla (not much better) or Mia?

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 27-Oct-13 00:38:17

Individually lovely, but as the previous poster said, bit of a tongue twister together.

missmuffin Sun 27-Oct-13 01:26:39

Thanks - you both echo my husband's view. I also have Frida, Thea and Blythe on my list, which do you think sounds best with Honor?

Isla is the name of a dear friend's dog and has been vetoed because of this.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 27-Oct-13 01:14:30

I personally don't like Blythe, but it does go well.

squoosh Sun 27-Oct-13 02:44:44

Honor is gorgeous.

Anya makes me think 'Russian spy' (is that racist?)

Thea though is just gorgeous. Honor and Thea sound like a smart pair of sisters.

Caip Sun 27-Oct-13 06:31:21

I only think they sound slightly awkward together because saying 'and Anya' is a mouthful, regardless of the other name. Other than saying them together, I think they go well.
Thea is nice too

CarryOnDancing Sun 27-Oct-13 08:59:17

Of your other choices I'd definitely go for Frida, although I don't think that spelling looks right.
I much prefer the sound to Anya though.

feelingvunerable Sun 27-Oct-13 10:01:25

I like Anya and don't see a problem with it.

Clargo55 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:19:14

I think Blythe goes perfectly with Honor.

funnyflowersky Sun 27-Oct-13 13:48:00

I love Anya. It's Father Christmas' wife's name in 'Santa Claus The Movie' smile

cheekbyjowl Sun 27-Oct-13 14:04:55

agree with caip , anya and honor is easier to say than the other way round

I think thea and blythe however are very pretty and go with honor as both suggest virtues

fussychica Sun 27-Oct-13 18:57:23

All lovely - whatever goes best with your surname.

happy2help Sun 27-Oct-13 19:25:22

Enid? I love it but there are obviously Enid Blyton associations (she was a bit mad and by all accounts wasn't especially nice if you believe the film about her life), but still a lovely name IMHO.

missmuffin Tue 21-Jan-14 08:25:15

Reviving this thread - now with only 2 weeks to go but still undecided.

The 2 main contenders are now Anya and Margot but still open to suggestions.

Middle name will be Evelyn which is a family name.

Thanks very much.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 21-Jan-14 08:36:18

Honor and Margot are fantastic separately and together.

Juno77 Tue 21-Jan-14 08:45:01

I don't like Anya because I always think it's an anglicised spelling which irritates me. Like Neve.

Though I disagree with the 'and Anya' comments - I have two friends called Aine and they both have partners and we say 'X and Aine' and it's fine.

curlew Tue 21-Jan-14 08:46:17

Margot!

Confitdecanard Tue 21-Jan-14 08:47:25

I love Margot. Anya is nice too but I definitely prefer Margot.

jumperooo Tue 21-Jan-14 08:54:50

I know an adult Honor, her sister is called Grace

Honor and Blythe of your list.

Also, Martha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now