Athena, Adelaide or Xanthe?

(37 Posts)
Disastronaut Sat 26-Oct-13 19:44:15

These are our final short list for newborn DD1. Do people think Xanthe is a bit pretentious/Islington-y? Is Athena always going to be a poster shop?

She'll have a double-barrelled surname, half of which is 'foreign'.

Honest opinions welcome! Ta.

JacqueslePeacock Thu 31-Oct-13 12:59:31

Xanthe is lovely.

Spaghettinetti Thu 31-Oct-13 12:59:24

Oooo just realised you've already decided! Pregnancy brain... D'oh! Good choice and congratulations! X

Spaghettinetti Thu 31-Oct-13 12:57:26

Hi there!

I really don't like Adelaide, but Athena and Xanthe are both lovely names.

I particularly like Xanthe and if the foreign bit of your surname's Greek, I think it'll work particularly well.

I quite like Athena as a name, but you're right....in the UK, we tend to think goddess wearing a sheet or poster shop...

JimmyCorpseHell Tue 29-Oct-13 08:43:05

I have helped you out OP and counted up the responses grin. I took everyone's favourite choice even if they liked more than one. Here it is <drum roll>
Xanthe 14
Adelaide 8
Athena 6
So Xanthe wins, woo hoo!

smithwillsam Tue 29-Oct-13 07:35:01

I am gonna go with Xanthe... However I personally prefer the Greek version, ' Golden Yellow '. But either way, it's still a good name.

EldritchCleavage Mon 28-Oct-13 11:51:47

Love Xanthe, like Athene, not keen on Adelaide.

Have you thought of Zita, as well?

TenthMuse Mon 28-Oct-13 11:46:58

Xanthe is beautiful and would be my top choice. Athena's lovely too, but would be seen as very Greek where I live, as there's a large Greek community here and it's used fairly frequently. Adelaide sounds a bit clunky and unwieldy to me (although Addie is cute).

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 28-Oct-13 10:48:27

Love Adelaide, has always been one of my favourites. Love the shortening Addie. Xanthe is another favourite, very nice. I would have used these two happily but dh didn't want them.

I like Athena, and would think it was nice on another child, but I wouldn't have used it.

Looks like there's quite a spread of opinions on this thread!

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 28-Oct-13 10:44:03

Athena is the only one I like. I don't see Xanthe as being terribly usable and Adelaide doesn't sound particularly nice.

I know an Athena,late 20's.

ReturnPlacenta Mon 28-Oct-13 09:05:11

Xanthe for me. Adelaide feels neither sophisticated, cool or beautiful, it's a bit brassy I think. Maybe Guys & Dolls is to blame for that. grin

lljkk Mon 28-Oct-13 09:01:04

Athena is the only one I can stomach.

Fantail Mon 28-Oct-13 08:41:36

Xanthe is very high up on list should any future child be a girl. Love Athena too.

Adelaide is pretty, but as a New Zealander the Australian connection would get me. I like Adele or Adela though.

curiousgeorgie Sun 27-Oct-13 23:40:21

I love Athena, it was on my short list for DD2..

Would have used Athie as a nickname smile

Can never have it though even if I have a DD3 one day as it rhymes with the name we did choose!

Allalonenow Sun 27-Oct-13 13:02:54

I like Adelaide best from your list, I feel people will think of the royal connection rather than the Australian city.

aoife24 Sun 27-Oct-13 12:54:31

I think I prefer Xanthe. As others have said, the name Adelaide pre-dates the city. The city was named in honour of Princess Adelaide, Queen Consort of William IV.

LondonNightmareInGhostlyBoots Sun 27-Oct-13 12:45:28

Xanthe, its awesome! Way high up my list. I really like Athena too - I perfer Athene bit I'm very unkeen on -a names in general. Never heard of a card shop - would people really think of a card shop before the greek warrior goddess of wisdom?hmm

Adelaide is fine, nothing wrong with it, but the other two are much better imo.

CordeliaRose Sun 27-Oct-13 12:04:18

I love the name Xanthe - to me is beautiful, unusual but not 'way out'!

saintmerryweather Sun 27-Oct-13 08:53:13

why does it matter if people think of australia when they hear the name? adelaide is beautiful

night1971 Sun 27-Oct-13 08:50:39

I know of a few Athenas and it is one of my favourite names!

Also know an Adelaide known as Addie. Never once thought about Australia!

Xanthe is very pretty too.

MiniTheMinx Sat 26-Oct-13 22:04:10

I used to know an Adelaide, I do actually like it and it can be shortened to Ada (ayda) which is quite nice. But how many people will just instantly think Australia?

Joycey29 Sat 26-Oct-13 21:28:44

Love them all! Adelaide is family name - shortened to A-dee!
Off the three I d go Xanthe! But as an Anthea I have been Anthe all my life so love the similarity!

Frontdoorstep Sat 26-Oct-13 20:56:48

Even though Adelaide is an ok name, I think most people will instantly think she was called after the Australian city.

They'll all ok as names I guess but not my cup of tea.

hoppinghare Sat 26-Oct-13 20:51:52

Adelaide is really nice. I. don't like the other two.

Please use Xanthe! It was going to be DS's middle name, I love it.
The Adelaide I know of is always Addy, which I don't like.

Coupon Sat 26-Oct-13 20:48:17

Adelaide = Australia
Athena = greetings cards

Xanthe is a lovely name, pretty and unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now