Athena, Adelaide or Xanthe?

(37 Posts)
Disastronaut Sat 26-Oct-13 19:44:15

These are our final short list for newborn DD1. Do people think Xanthe is a bit pretentious/Islington-y? Is Athena always going to be a poster shop?

She'll have a double-barrelled surname, half of which is 'foreign'.

Honest opinions welcome! Ta.

Fantail Mon 28-Oct-13 08:41:36

Xanthe is very high up on list should any future child be a girl. Love Athena too.

Adelaide is pretty, but as a New Zealander the Australian connection would get me. I like Adele or Adela though.

lljkk Mon 28-Oct-13 09:01:04

Athena is the only one I can stomach.

ReturnPlacenta Mon 28-Oct-13 09:05:11

Xanthe for me. Adelaide feels neither sophisticated, cool or beautiful, it's a bit brassy I think. Maybe Guys & Dolls is to blame for that. grin

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 28-Oct-13 10:44:03

Athena is the only one I like. I don't see Xanthe as being terribly usable and Adelaide doesn't sound particularly nice.

I know an Athena,late 20's.

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 28-Oct-13 10:48:27

Love Adelaide, has always been one of my favourites. Love the shortening Addie. Xanthe is another favourite, very nice. I would have used these two happily but dh didn't want them.

I like Athena, and would think it was nice on another child, but I wouldn't have used it.

Looks like there's quite a spread of opinions on this thread!

TenthMuse Mon 28-Oct-13 11:46:58

Xanthe is beautiful and would be my top choice. Athena's lovely too, but would be seen as very Greek where I live, as there's a large Greek community here and it's used fairly frequently. Adelaide sounds a bit clunky and unwieldy to me (although Addie is cute).

EldritchCleavage Mon 28-Oct-13 11:51:47

Love Xanthe, like Athene, not keen on Adelaide.

Have you thought of Zita, as well?

smithwillsam Tue 29-Oct-13 07:35:01

I am gonna go with Xanthe... However I personally prefer the Greek version, ' Golden Yellow '. But either way, it's still a good name.

JimmyCorpseHell Tue 29-Oct-13 08:43:05

I have helped you out OP and counted up the responses grin. I took everyone's favourite choice even if they liked more than one. Here it is <drum roll>
Xanthe 14
Adelaide 8
Athena 6
So Xanthe wins, woo hoo!

Spaghettinetti Thu 31-Oct-13 12:57:26

Hi there!

I really don't like Adelaide, but Athena and Xanthe are both lovely names.

I particularly like Xanthe and if the foreign bit of your surname's Greek, I think it'll work particularly well.

I quite like Athena as a name, but you're right....in the UK, we tend to think goddess wearing a sheet or poster shop...

Spaghettinetti Thu 31-Oct-13 12:59:24

Oooo just realised you've already decided! Pregnancy brain... D'oh! Good choice and congratulations! X

JacqueslePeacock Thu 31-Oct-13 12:59:31

Xanthe is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now