Is Birdy usable?

(31 Posts)
DitsyDonkey Wed 23-Oct-13 20:53:23

Just to note THIS NAME HAS HUGE SENTIMENTAL MEANING for me so please don't rip it apart as the person I would be using it after was just buried yesterday sad

I think it is beautiful and I do know of a little Birdy and it seems to work but I don't want to give a name either that would be super difficult to live with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

QueFonda Wed 23-Oct-13 20:56:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZZZenagain Wed 23-Oct-13 20:57:42

The Birdy you mentioned, was that her full name or a nickname?

MortifiedAdams Wed 23-Oct-13 20:59:43

Wren or Robyn and use Birdy as a nn?

Bridie?

DitsyDonkey Wed 23-Oct-13 21:00:31

The little Birdy it is her full name but my gran aunt was Bridget but never ever went by it, I know people will suggest putting it on the BC but I don't want to use Bridget.

I know it won't be most people's cuppa.

Strumpetron Wed 23-Oct-13 21:01:25

Really sorry but no not at all

DitsyDonkey Wed 23-Oct-13 21:01:45

I may use it as a middle name either.

LifeOfPee Wed 23-Oct-13 21:02:08

As a NN it would be OK but I wouldn't use it as a full name.

orangepudding Wed 23-Oct-13 21:02:57

I met a toddler called Birdy/Birdie, her mum was embarrassed that she had picked that name for her as her proper name.

QueFonda Wed 23-Oct-13 21:03:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DitsyDonkey Wed 23-Oct-13 21:05:34

Maybe Florence Birdy or Juno Birdy or Iris Birdy.....oh I don't know I think it may be best in middle spot!

I love it smile

Busy Phillips has a Birdie (prefer it spelled that way) and she is awesome.

Let's not talk about her DD2 who is called Cricket shock confused

Sorry for your loss OP. I would agree with PP though. Wasn't there a First Lady called Ladybird Johnson (after JFK)?

BikeRunSki Wed 23-Oct-13 21:06:48

A very sweet nn, and love it as nn fro Robyn or Wren, but it doesn't feel like a legitimate name.

Don Draper in Mad Men calls his wife Birdie - she's Elizabeth and goes by Betty - an idea?

It's an adorable name but I do think she needs a full name too. Love the idea of Robyn, although you could really use any name and just call her Birdy. I always liked Kestrel as another bird name, although realise it's a bit Out There..

Sorry for your loss, and congrats on the wee one.

Camsie30 Wed 23-Oct-13 21:08:50

If you love it and it means something to you then go for it. I wouldn't take any notice of what anyone else thinks!! The name I want to give my child is one that I don't think anyone else will like, but who gives a shit?!!!

MortifiedAdams Wed 23-Oct-13 21:18:16

Ooh I love the name Bridgit!

BuntyPenfold Wed 23-Oct-13 23:09:09

Birdy could be a cute nn for Robin/Robyn, or Linnet.

How about Beatrice; with a B at the start, it might seem a more natural short version?

mathanxiety Thu 24-Oct-13 06:36:47

I love it. I have a Brigid (Irish) in my family who has always been Birdie.

I love Biddy too. I wanted to call DD3 Brigid and call her Biddy as a nn. It would have suited her down to the ground in a funky, retro kind of way.

I would use it as a first name if it means a lot to you.

WetGrass Thu 24-Oct-13 06:41:39

It's an adorable nickname - but I really think you should have a more formal birth cert name. Bridget is fine.

Sunnysummer Thu 24-Oct-13 06:43:31

I think it's an adorable nickname, and could be a lovely name for some older girls and women but really hard or others (not just talking about the annoying 'high court judge' thing, but also a tall or big girl could become Big Bird, for example).

Could it be a nickname for a lovely bird name like Linnet, Wren or Robin, or for a B name like Bridget or Belinda? Or a middle name that you use as a nn?

Isabeller Thu 24-Oct-13 06:45:36

Made me think of Birdee Pruitt (in a nice way).

It sounds good to me.

squoosh Thu 24-Oct-13 10:14:37

It's a bit Alabama. I'd perhaps use it as a nickname, definitely not as the full name though.

Anjou Thu 24-Oct-13 11:27:10

I agree with the others, OP, that its a lovely name but perhaps best kept as a nn/mn. I love the idea of using a birds name but using Birdie as the nn. Wren has already been mentioned and is beautiful. A bit out there but how about Skylark. Could then be Sky/Skye later in life if she chooses. Or Alouette, French for lark?

kissmyheathenass Thu 24-Oct-13 11:29:11

I wouldn't use it.

I do know a Wren though and I think that's lovely if you want an avian-ish name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now