Variations on James ?

(19 Posts)
CheshireDing Wed 23-Oct-13 19:37:33

DC2 is due in 6 weeks, we have a girls name sorted but if it is a boy we are a bit stuck. A large part of the problem is that FIL said to DH "if it's a boy would you consider using my middle name of James ?".

DH now wants to use this to honour his Dad, I am utterly pissed off as I think FIL had a bloody cheek and James would NEVER had been on the list. It's not a horrid name, it just never would have been on the list in the same way lots of other names wanted. Plus I don't really like repeating names from within the Family I want the baby to have its own name.

If it turns out to be a boy we are so far agreed his first name will be Monty/Montague/Montgomery, DH has suggested as a compromise to the "James" thing we could use Jameson as a middle name.

Possibly I could cope with this but does it all sound a bit much but with one of those first names? Also it does keep making me think of whisky!

PFB is Poppy Arabella so trying to somehow match something a bit to that.

God I hope it's a girl grin

ArabellaBeaumaris Wed 23-Oct-13 19:39:38

Personally I like giving middle names for family so would go with James.

Montgomery James sounds excellent!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 23-Oct-13 20:42:49

Jago is the Cornish form of James and Iago the Welsh form.

Mean James, as suggested by FiL, but aren't really James which might appeal to you?

Habbibu Wed 23-Oct-13 20:50:31

Seamus?

galwaygirl Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:49

Or Hamish.
Jacob is also the same name. I think James goes well with your first name and Jameson will always be a whiskey.

Mim78 Fri 25-Oct-13 09:29:33

I was going to say Jacob, as just looked up the fact it is the same name as thinking of using it myself.

How about Jacques (French for James) or at a push Jack (I know it is used as a nn for John or name in itself, but surely it "should" be nn for James??)

Phoebe47 Mon 28-Oct-13 16:31:07

Just say no to using father-in-laws middle name. Have you named your little girl after a family member? I have not used any family names when naming my three children as the only grandparent who had a name we liked was my Dad and it seemed a bit unfair to name one child after him and not honour the other grandad at all (by the way my DH's father's names are hideous).

Another one who thinks Montgomery James sounds awesome.

CheshireDing Mon 28-Oct-13 20:12:23

Thanks for everyones comments. I tried Seamus and Jacob and DH pulled his face.

Today I told him he could have James but everything you said Phoebe (and that he already knows) about why I don't want to use it but if it keeps him happy.

Here's hoping it's a girl grin

Littlecherublegs Tue 29-Oct-13 14:04:54

Montgomery James is nice.
Montgomery Jameson is a bit of a mouthful.
Jamie is the other only alternative I can think of but if I was you Id go with James as mn.

CarryOnDancing Tue 29-Oct-13 22:59:32

I love the idea of using a family name but if you aren't keen then I think the sentiment is lost by trying to adapt James to something else (like Jameson) anyway. So I'd go for James or just one of your own choices.

I know you see it as an imposition but I guess it must make you think of your own mortality when your children have their own children.

I really like Montgomery James!!

ZenNudist Wed 30-Oct-13 22:18:40

Montgomery james is a good name. Nn monty and an option on a really standard / dull second name if he hates his first name.

Spaghettinetti Thu 31-Oct-13 12:39:15

Spanish Jaime is quite nice. The Greek version is Dimitri, which I'm guessing might sound a bit weird after Monty...

Agree Montgomery James is a nice name.

TillyTotter1 Thu 31-Oct-13 12:45:15

Seamus is the Irish for James but I don't think it matches Monty very well :/

Retroformica Fri 01-Nov-13 06:22:20

Jago

halfwildlingwoman Fri 01-Nov-13 15:30:10

In Ann of Ingleside her child James is called Jem, which I think is a lovely shortening, because it sounds like Gem. Montgomery Jem?
Jaime makes me think of the incestuous Lannister.

littlemissnormal Fri 01-Nov-13 15:33:54

I've got a Seamus which I wasn't sure about at first, but now he's so obviously a Seamus he couldn't be anything else!
I like Jamie too.

BigPawsBrown Fri 01-Nov-13 15:37:05

Jim?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now