Thoughts on names please...

(13 Posts)
weelinda86 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:36:48

Really struggling with names at the moment but quite like the following...thoughts/opinions please:

Cillian or Aaron for a boy

Aeryn (bit wary re difficulties with spelling/pronunciation) for a girl

Any alternatives/suggestions welcome but nothing too popular or cutesy please

BettyBi0 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:41:09

How would you pronounce Aeryn? I would guess like Erin? Or is it more like air-in?

weelinda86 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:48:54

Thanks for your comments. That was my concern with Aeryn, I think it is supposed to be pronounced like Erin (apparently it's an old spelling or means Ireland) but I liked it as air-in as you said! And don't want her to have to correct people all the time or spell it lol.

Oh well, maybe back to the drawing board...

Frontdoorstep Sat 19-Oct-13 13:52:50

How do you pronounce Cillian?

HavantGuard Sat 19-Oct-13 13:57:21

Cillian. Not because Cillian Murphy is utterly perfect. Oh no blush

weelinda86 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:58:42

I believe it's pronounced as if with a 'K' as in 'kill-e-in' or like Gillian if that makes sense! Its a popular Irish name as in the actor Cillian Murphy if you know him. My partner has a Irish heritage and surname so thot it would be nice but some ate difficult to spell/pronounce which bothers me. Argh! Lol

weelinda86 Sat 19-Oct-13 14:00:27

HavantGuard: said mr murphy was my inspiration for the name lol! But is it wrong to name your child after a celeb crush?! :O

HavantGuard Sat 19-Oct-13 14:01:49

It's also a lovely name grin

Apileofballyhoo Sat 19-Oct-13 14:03:17

I would pronounce Erin as air-in. Am I wrong?

Apileofballyhoo Sat 19-Oct-13 14:05:33

Cillian is lovely btw. I also like Aaron - which I have also heard pronounced Air-in as well as Ah-ron.

weelinda86 Sat 19-Oct-13 14:50:14

I pronounced Aeryn as air-in too, it's a bit different to just Erin and my partner has a young cousin named Erin.

Thank you, I think Cillian is our favourite and it has a bit of history to it and isn't too common.

I like Aaron for a boy but if we later had a girl we couldnt go with Aeryn as it's too similar! So we'd need to come up with another name.

Frontdoorstep Sat 19-Oct-13 18:30:30

I'm Scottish, ive never heard of Cillian Murphy, I've never heard the name Cillian anywhere before ever. I made the assumption that it might be pronounced a bit like Gillian and for that reason thought it was a girls name.

CordeliaRose Sat 19-Oct-13 19:10:03

I'm Scottish - I have seen Cillian Murphy in a few films grin
I know an Erin, pronounced Eh (as in Elle) rin
Aeryn sounds lovely.
Can I ask how you would pronounce Aaron? I've heard both Ah-ron and Air-on grin Our neighbour's DS is Arran, as in the Scottish island.

You asked for other suggestions:
Aideen
Arden
Darcey
Eden
Greer
Moya
Sorcha
thanks
Ardan
Calum
Colm
Ellis
Fergus
Liam
Lorcan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now