Dollydaydream99 Fri 18-Oct-13 10:24:42

Title says it all!!!

JuliaScurr Fri 18-Oct-13 10:32:39
JuliaScurr Fri 18-Oct-13 10:33:33

not a great role model
but a nice name

MrsCinnamon Fri 18-Oct-13 10:33:33

Alfred Hitchcock comes to mind.
love the film, would never use the name, sorry.

BurberryQ Fri 18-Oct-13 10:34:29

good name....like it a lot....

ThursdayLast Fri 18-Oct-13 10:35:50

Love the name and to me it has no connotations at all smile

nosleeptillbedtime Fri 18-Oct-13 10:35:52

I really like it!
Don't know the film/ role model references.

Dollydaydream99 Fri 18-Oct-13 10:37:16

No I didn't know the film until just seen the above link.... Do you think everyone over a certain age would refer to this when name announced?!?!

MyNameIsWinkly Fri 18-Oct-13 10:37:55

I've never known one in real life. Marnie, for me, is the alcoholic sister in This Charming Man by Marian Keyes.

Bowlersarm Fri 18-Oct-13 10:38:09

I absolutely love it.

To me it is simple but unusual, and elegant.

Love love love it.

(Didn't have a dd to use it unfortunately!)

BurberryQ Fri 18-Oct-13 10:38:21

Everyone has different connections to names. It would be completely daft to let other peoples associations put you off a name you love.

Fwiw I think it's a gorgeous name. Very very pretty.

BurberryQ Fri 18-Oct-13 10:39:40

i read the above as a child and loved it....
never heard of the Hitchcock movie and am no spring chicken.

Dollydaydream99 Fri 18-Oct-13 10:42:05

Hmm I'm really gutted now, thought id found a name I loved!!! Would hate my child to go through life with people thinking "why would you name your child after such a dreadful character"?! Am I being over dramatic?!

Bowlersarm Fri 18-Oct-13 10:45:12

it's minor negativity really. it woukdn't have put me off for ds3!

HollyBen Fri 18-Oct-13 10:45:40

I knew a Marnie at uni who was named after a Russian sailor her mum met when she was pg (they were from Shetland). Never come across another since. Lovely name imo

BurberryQ Fri 18-Oct-13 10:46:07

yes you are - that movie came out nearly 50 years ago!! and I suspect the majority of people have not heard of it.
It is a lovely name, wish I had chosen it for DD infact!
If you like it, choose it.

Bowlersarm Fri 18-Oct-13 10:47:48

Incidentally, we were going to a have it short for Marina to give her a birth certificate/pass the MN criteria of a high court judge name. But the intention was to use Marnje all the time.

PeterParkerSays Fri 18-Oct-13 10:51:57

For me it sounds very American. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Viviennemary Fri 18-Oct-13 10:52:48

I don't like it at all. It immediately made me think of that awful Hitchcock film with the girl. Even if it wasn't for the film I just don't think it's a very attractive sounding name.

Vatta Fri 18-Oct-13 10:55:57

I read the book, but haven't heard of the film (I'm 36), I would worry about that association?

I like it - if you want a longer "formal" name, it can be short for Marianne.

Pinupgirl Fri 18-Oct-13 10:55:59

I love the film-watched it the other night in fact-but I don't like the name as I knew a marnie and didn't like her.

Also lily allen and tamzin outhwaite both have dd's called marnie so it may become more popular.

I love the name Marina!

Vatta Fri 18-Oct-13 10:56:38

I meant i WOULDN'T worry about that association!

TheEponymousGrub Fri 18-Oct-13 11:05:24

Love the name! It's got everything: unusual but still indisputably a "real" name; simple clear sound; straightforward spelling. I have heard of the Hitchcock movie, of course, but never seen it: wasn't it Grace Kelly playing a glamorous criminal? Oh... I've just checked IMDB and I see it's darker than that...

But still: I think most people would agree the name is a great one, and would think that's why you'd used it!

Marina's beautiful. Was on my list. DP vetoed because we have a boat in one and he thought it might be a bit odd. So she can have both names and then if too many people are making the Hitchcock connection she can revert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now