Samuel or Arthur?

(28 Posts)
SadPander Sun 13-Oct-13 18:43:58

DH and I are at deadlock here - Samuel or Arthur? My issue with Samuel is that I tend to think of Sam as a girls name, and also I'd like Stanley as a middle name (for sentimental reasons). Samuel Stanley?? Hmm not sure that goes.

DH says that Arthur sounds too posh and pretentious and also has potential for nicknames including the word farty!

I don't think he's going to come around to Arthur, so think I need to try and let Samuel grow on me, but would appreciate oppinions either way!

SadPander Fri 18-Oct-13 13:52:18

I know, that is exactly how I feel. I like Samuel, but feel a little sad at using it in comparison to Arthur. I like Theodore too but getting DH to agree to anything is a nightmare!

marthabear Fri 18-Oct-13 01:46:28

Adore Arthur too. Samuel seems a little...boring..in comparison, in my opinion.

Mutteroo Fri 18-Oct-13 01:34:26

Adore the name Arthur, don't really like Samuel but that's because I know so many of them & not one of them is very nice. (All teens struggling with hormones & angst).
DH vetoed Stanley. Really wanted this as DS's middle name & don't consider it posh.

Other choices:
Freddie (Frederick, Alfred)
Daniel (Why I like Daniel but not Samuel is beyond me?)
Albert (Al, Albie, Berty)
Joseph
Joshua
Theodore

All the above would sound great with the middle name of Stanley!

SadPander Thu 17-Oct-13 20:46:14

Totally agree Mim I think it was a fairly working class and popular name in the era when it was most common, and I don't think its unusual now. For some reason he thinkis its pretentious though! I think Artie could be quite cute too, but yes this is where the farty thing is coming from unfortunately!

Mim78 Wed 16-Oct-13 20:45:08

I like Arthur. Don't think it is posh or not posh - for a while it probably seemed old fashioned and maybe at that time only posh people used it but traditionally I bet it was a classless name.

You could use art or artie as a nickname which I think is nice ( although I suppose that is where fartie comes in)

SadPander Tue 15-Oct-13 16:46:17

Thanks for all your comments, it's growing on me!

SatinSandals Mon 14-Oct-13 21:35:17

Samuel

Tikkamasala Mon 14-Oct-13 21:32:26

I prefer Samuel but like both. Samuel Arthur sounds good together!

sonlypuppyfat Mon 14-Oct-13 20:29:51

I went to school with an Arthur, I'm from the days of Craigs and Gary's, his life was made a misery every day. Not by me though!

Bowlersarm Mon 14-Oct-13 20:29:46

Arthur is also one of Prince Williams middle names - is he posh enough for you sonlypuppyfat?

yeghoulsandlittledevils Mon 14-Oct-13 20:27:56

I love both, knows boys with both names...Well, I know lots of boys called Sam/Sammy/Samuel and one Arthur.

Stanley Arthur Michael. SAM for short!

Hadmeathello Mon 14-Oct-13 20:27:50

Samuel.

Coupon Mon 14-Oct-13 20:27:16

And Arthur is one of Prince Charles' middle names.

Coupon Mon 14-Oct-13 20:26:49

King Arthur might have disagreed with you sonlypuppyfat

sonlypuppyfat Mon 14-Oct-13 20:25:22

How on this earth does Arthur sound posh!! Flat cap and whippets.

CPtart Mon 14-Oct-13 20:22:51

Samuel Arthur sounds nice.
Much prefer Samuel, but I know a few and they do get called Sam.

elcranko Mon 14-Oct-13 20:07:48

Love both Samuel and Arthur! Slightly prefer Samuel though. I think Samuel Stanley sounds great!

Coupon Mon 14-Oct-13 20:05:00

Albert (Bertie)
Alfred (Alfie, Freddie)
William
Ethan
Frederick
Edward
James
Harrison
Leo
Jacob
Maxwell
Theodore

BecauseYoureGorgeous Mon 14-Oct-13 19:45:34

Arthur. It's not too posh IMO.

SadPander Sun 13-Oct-13 19:39:26

Thanks all. I think we've exhausted all options so one of us will have to compromise - but I am happy for suggestions if anyone has any. We both liked George, but went off it after Prince George was born.

I'm also happy to be talked around to loving Samuel as I do like it, just don't love it yet!

mamalovebird Sun 13-Oct-13 19:26:15

Samuel. I have one, never thought of it as more feminine.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 13-Oct-13 19:09:28

Samuel.

I like Samuel Stanley.

Bowlersarm Sun 13-Oct-13 19:08:26

Samuel.

obviouslyneedsupernanny Sun 13-Oct-13 19:04:34

I prefer Samuel

Coupon Sun 13-Oct-13 19:03:37

Samuel Stanley doesn't really go very well IMHO, but if your DH doesn't like Arthur that's not ideal either. It would be much better if you could find a name you both liked. Would you like us to suggest ideas or is it definitely going to be either Samuel or Arthur?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now