Marianne

(64 Posts)
daisydoo85 Fri 11-Oct-13 19:09:57

Thoughts on this name?
Also like Florence.
Thanks.

NadiaWadia Mon 14-Oct-13 15:29:19

KeatsiePie you 'never before even thought of them as variations on the same name!'

That's because in your heart you know Marianne is pronounced 'marry-ann', like in Europe! wink

KeatsiePie Mon 14-Oct-13 05:46:18

Double names are not that popular here (although there may be a new trend in baby-naming that I don't know of) and double names are usually run together out loud, as if they were one name. Like Leann and Leigh Anne sound exactly the same, no pause. Even something uber-Southern like Brenda Lee or Gracie Mae (The Closer, Friday Night Lights) is basically said as if one name, maybe a tiny pause if you are emphasizing the name b/c you are angry or trying to get their attention.

I am now wandering around with the laundry mumbling "Mary Ann, Marianne" to myself. Need to go to bed.

KeatsiePie Mon 14-Oct-13 05:32:56

Yep Nadia, at least, as far as I've heard. But I have never before even thought of them as variations on the same name! I think that's b/c Mary Ann (with no "e") is usually seen as a classic suburban-American name, very 1950s sitcom television, etc., while Marianne I think would be considered either British or colonial era. (Massive generalizations here obviously.) They would both sound old-fashioned here but in different ways, as separate names.

NadiaWadia Mon 14-Oct-13 02:42:28

KeatsiePie so basically 'in American' Mary Anne and Marianne are the same, just spelt differently?

nooka Sun 13-Oct-13 21:55:27

According to beyond the name it's a form of the French name Marie, which to English ears sounds pretty similar to marry (as in getting married). I don't think that the slight variations in how people might pronounce it are a big deal though, not enough to get irritated by anyway (for potential future Mariannes that is).

KeatsiePie Sun 13-Oct-13 19:21:53

One of the songs is called 'Marianne' and when I hear it I always wonder why they are singing 'Mary Anne' and not 'Marianne'. Ha! Nadia that would sound just right to me!

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 13:04:28

Funny, Moominlike....Moomin is actually one of DD's many nicknames!

Love it. Marianne dashwood <3
Classic and beautiful but neither overused nor pretentious.

moominlike Sun 13-Oct-13 11:49:09

Oops, smiley fail.

moominlike Sun 13-Oct-13 11:47:45

I absolutely love the name Marianna, although I am undoubtedly biased grin

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 11:41:44

When I checked the stats, there were only 37 other baby Mariannes the year DD was born. We have met a toddler Marianna though.

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 11:40:25

I would love to meet another one!

hollyisalovelyname Sun 13-Oct-13 10:54:46

I love Marielle.

MadameJosephine Sun 13-Oct-13 10:43:07

Gorgeous! I don't think I've ever met a Marianne in RL

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 10:38:41

I have a little Marianne and she's GORGEOUS!!

NadiaWadia Sun 13-Oct-13 03:30:07

KeatsiePie - It's funny you should mention that because I have a CD of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. One of the songs is called 'Marianne' and when I hear it I always wonder why they are singing 'Mary Anne' and not 'Marianne'.

Marianne is a French name originally (I think) and I'm sure the 'marry-anne' pronunciation is closer to how they'd say it in French. Or would you say you were going to church to get mary -ed?

KeatsiePie Sat 12-Oct-13 23:45:55

lottie I'm trying to remember now! I say Maid Mareyunn in my head when I think of Robin Hood. Hmm. I remember the one with Christian Slater vaguely but did they really not say Mareyunn?

lottiegarbanzo Sat 12-Oct-13 22:27:50

KeatsiePie, have you never seen a film of Robin Hood? shock Maid Mah-ri-un. Mair-ee is a totally different sound, 'air' rather than the 'ah' of Marian or Marianne. Anyway...

lottiegarbanzo Sat 12-Oct-13 22:17:19

Like it a lot.

Lots of references. The French revolutionary symbol, with statue in every village still (many modelled on Brigitte Bardot) is one. Another glam sixties reference being Marianne Faithful (who is really clever and interesting). She's probably to most prominent living Marianne I can think of.

So much nicer than Marion (a la Robin Hood, or just rather suburbanly dull) and Mary-Ann (us that really used much?)

KeatsiePie Sat 12-Oct-13 21:47:07

Oh that's funny! It sounds like it is partly maybe an issue of how long one stops between Mary/Mari and Ann/Anne.

Never thought of Marian as a Mah sound.

Alexandrite Sat 12-Oct-13 21:39:19

For me Marian = Mah rian

Alexandrite Sat 12-Oct-13 21:37:47

Yes it's probably an accent thing. With my accent (South London) the difference is Mary Anne = Mairee Anne
Marianne = Marryanne.

But they may both be pronouced the same with an American accent.

In fact I have a vague memory of my mum telling me as a child that Americans pronounce Marianne as Mary Anne!

KeatsiePie Sat 12-Oct-13 20:59:03

Whereas Marian has the accent over the Mare part and the an part is almost like an un sound.

KeatsiePie Sat 12-Oct-13 20:58:13

I can't hear the difference between Mary Ann and Marianne but maybe b/c I am hearing them in an American accent. But I do like Marianne a lot.

Alexandrite Sat 12-Oct-13 20:04:50

Really like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now