Thanks.

MadameJosephine Sun 13-Oct-13 10:43:07

Gorgeous! I don't think I've ever met a Marianne in RL

hollyisalovelyname Sun 13-Oct-13 10:54:46

I love Marielle.

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 11:40:25

I would love to meet another one!

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 11:41:44

When I checked the stats, there were only 37 other baby Mariannes the year DD was born. We have met a toddler Marianna though.

moominlike Sun 13-Oct-13 11:47:45

I absolutely love the name Marianna, although I am undoubtedly biased grin

moominlike Sun 13-Oct-13 11:49:09

Oops, smiley fail.

Love it. Marianne dashwood <3
Classic and beautiful but neither overused nor pretentious.

ginzillas Sun 13-Oct-13 13:04:28

Funny, Moominlike....Moomin is actually one of DD's many nicknames!

KeatsiePie Sun 13-Oct-13 19:21:53

One of the songs is called 'Marianne' and when I hear it I always wonder why they are singing 'Mary Anne' and not 'Marianne'. Ha! Nadia that would sound just right to me!

nooka Sun 13-Oct-13 21:55:27

According to beyond the name it's a form of the French name Marie, which to English ears sounds pretty similar to marry (as in getting married). I don't think that the slight variations in how people might pronounce it are a big deal though, not enough to get irritated by anyway (for potential future Mariannes that is).

NadiaWadia Mon 14-Oct-13 02:42:28

KeatsiePie so basically 'in American' Mary Anne and Marianne are the same, just spelt differently?

KeatsiePie Mon 14-Oct-13 05:32:56

Yep Nadia, at least, as far as I've heard. But I have never before even thought of them as variations on the same name! I think that's b/c Mary Ann (with no "e") is usually seen as a classic suburban-American name, very 1950s sitcom television, etc., while Marianne I think would be considered either British or colonial era. (Massive generalizations here obviously.) They would both sound old-fashioned here but in different ways, as separate names.

KeatsiePie Mon 14-Oct-13 05:46:18

Double names are not that popular here (although there may be a new trend in baby-naming that I don't know of) and double names are usually run together out loud, as if they were one name. Like Leann and Leigh Anne sound exactly the same, no pause. Even something uber-Southern like Brenda Lee or Gracie Mae (The Closer, Friday Night Lights) is basically said as if one name, maybe a tiny pause if you are emphasizing the name b/c you are angry or trying to get their attention.

I am now wandering around with the laundry mumbling "Mary Ann, Marianne" to myself. Need to go to bed.

NadiaWadia Mon 14-Oct-13 15:29:19

KeatsiePie you 'never before even thought of them as variations on the same name!'

That's because in your heart you know Marianne is pronounced 'marry-ann', like in Europe! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now