is claudia getting very popular then?

(29 Posts)
Monkeyandanimal Thu 10-Oct-13 17:18:14

just that. is it? know anyone with a baby claudia?

CruCru Mon 14-Oct-13 11:20:40

After all, some people think Amelia means limbless.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 14-Oct-13 11:26:40

And remember, popular names are popular for a reason : because they are beautiful!!!

poppydaisy Mon 14-Oct-13 14:21:23

Some names have more obvious meanings than other (and many don't have any real meanings). Claudia happens to be derived directly from the Latin adjective claudus meaning disabled/lame so I'm afraid that is what I see/hear when I see the name. Of course I will not let that affect my view of what is probably a lovely person smile, but I do think that there are others like me (or perhaps I've studied too much latin?).
Given how many beautiful girls' names are out there, I'd personally choose one without such an obvious unfortunate meaning.

HasItStartedYet Mon 14-Oct-13 15:21:30

poppydaisy, do you stalk the baby names boards looking for the opportunity to say unpleasant things about the name Claudia? I've read your posts many times and you always phrase your comment in the same way which makes you recognisable. It's all a bit hand-wringy.

Claudia and the Claudii family existed before the emperor - his lameness inspired the verb claudus not the other way around. Or do you actually believe they called him "lame" and lo and behold he was! What luck. hmm

Claudus might mean lame to you, in Latin, but the girls name Claudia does not mean that. We don't speak Latin. Names mean all sorts when translated into other languages.

Perhaps next time you see a thread with Claudia in it you could just walk on by - no-one cares that you studied a dead language. You sound ridiculous.

Do you get the same bee in your bonnet about other names? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now