Arthwr

(101 Posts)
MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 08:45:42

DH (not British) says Arthur is too English. He likes Welsh names (I am Welsh) and has googled and says Arthwr is a Welsh spelling. It's not one I have ever heard and I think it's pretty obscure...it's a crazy idea right? A small part of me does wonder if it works though, and with Arthur shooting up the popularity charts maybe it would be an idea... After all no one thinks the welsh spellings of Alys and Huw are silly do they?

Please help my pregnancy befuddled brain on this one. Only 4 weeks to go! We have other ideas but none of the welsh ones are really standing out as much as DS1's did, and there aren't any from DH's country that he loves, in fact he hasn't suggested any at all!

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 08-Oct-13 17:31:16

grin

Iamsanta Tue 08-Oct-13 19:44:58

Also..

Caio
Gelert

Another here who is Welsh and can confirm Arthwr is bollox... the real Welsh version it's spelled Arthur, pronounced Arth-ir.

moondog Tue 08-Oct-13 20:44:46

<guffaw> at Athwr
Idris also used by a lot of Arabs which is funny.
Geraint too like 'grunt'

Iamsanta Tue 08-Oct-13 20:47:00

Guto
Emyr
Cellan

Monkeymonstermum Wed 09-Oct-13 07:42:11

I love Rhys - not sure if too mainstream for you but I think it's welsh but not confusing if you live outside Wales.
Agree with others not Arthwr - looks like typo.
Huw is great too.
Aled?

Monkeymonstermum Wed 09-Oct-13 07:52:18

PS: if you are Welsh then Carwyn definitely (would put that in bold if I knew how to!) has history - Carwyn James was the famous rugby coach of the '71 British Lions that are the only side to beat the All Blacks in a series!!! Being connected to rugby in Wales makes it practically legendary!

maishoffwcingras Wed 09-Oct-13 08:13:44

Iamsanta Cellan are you kidding me?!!! It means bollock! grin

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Wed 09-Oct-13 12:16:29

Ooo that would make my Dad happy Monkey!
Lol maishoffwcingras

Any welsh people have opinions on Neifion? Too weird?

maishoffwcingras Wed 09-Oct-13 13:05:06

mythumbs for me Neifion is like Eifion with an extra N added to the front. Never heard it to be honest. Eifion however is nice IMO

Iamsanta Wed 09-Oct-13 20:25:29

Maisheffwcingras first of all I think u have the best name! Gwych. grin

Are you sure it means that? Are you North or south? I know a little Cellan and there a place down South called Cellan.

Down here we use Carreg/cerrig for bollocks! well that's the word we use in front of the bulls before we castrate

If Neifion is too out there what about Teifion? Used a lot down this end.

maishoffwcingras Thu 10-Oct-13 07:56:40

ha ha thanks Iam it's not often that people get it grin

I am north. Hmm maybe I'm wrong then. I know officially it's caill/ceilliau but I'm sure I've heard people use cellan (that doesn't mean it's correct though!). Cerrig grin - do you use a different word for stone then or same one?

ImpOfDarkness Sat 12-Oct-13 07:31:21

Yes I was going to say Idris is coincidentally a boy's name in Arabic too.

Iamsanta Sun 13-Oct-13 10:33:44

maisho we also use pwrs...as in purse! We also use cerrig/Carreg for stones blush

Why do us welsh have double meanings for all these words! lol

Please keep us updated OP but don't use Cellan. wink

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sun 13-Oct-13 12:21:18

Thanks! grin I won't.

At the moment it looks like it might be either Emrys or Taliesin. But all the others are still on my list so who knows! 37 weeks today.

Iamsanta Mon 14-Oct-13 19:16:17

Only 3 weeks to go, keep us updated with the name.

I think Gwilym and Emrys go perfect together.

MoominMammasHandbag Mon 14-Oct-13 19:48:05

Ianto is a nickname for Ifan, and Guto is a nickname for Gruffydd.
Carreg means stones/ pebbles doesn't it?

MoominMammasHandbag Mon 14-Oct-13 19:50:28

Surely no one Welsh would call their child Gelert? It would be like calling them Rover or something!

LadyRochford Tue 15-Oct-13 15:35:06

That story always used to make me cry...actually prob still would!

Meurig
Eurig
Gwyn

Arthwr Thu 10-Apr-14 16:17:37

Artorix (bear+king) > Arthur
Artoviros (bear+man) > Arthwr

Arthwr Thu 10-Apr-14 16:29:02

Berth
Berthwyn
Cadarn
Cadog
Delwyn
Madog
Nerth

thegreylady Fri 11-Apr-14 22:38:02

I thought Idris was the Welsh for Arthur isn't Cader Idris a reference to King Arthur?

selsigfach Sat 12-Apr-14 22:25:55

Cader means chair.
Ioan?
Osian?
I love Idris but my husband won't let me use it because "the mechanic will think we've named our baby after him". Nutter!

selsigfach Sat 12-Apr-14 22:28:39

Cader should be Cadair!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now