Arthwr

(101 Posts)
MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 08:45:42

DH (not British) says Arthur is too English. He likes Welsh names (I am Welsh) and has googled and says Arthwr is a Welsh spelling. It's not one I have ever heard and I think it's pretty obscure...it's a crazy idea right? A small part of me does wonder if it works though, and with Arthur shooting up the popularity charts maybe it would be an idea... After all no one thinks the welsh spellings of Alys and Huw are silly do they?

Please help my pregnancy befuddled brain on this one. Only 4 weeks to go! We have other ideas but none of the welsh ones are really standing out as much as DS1's did, and there aren't any from DH's country that he loves, in fact he hasn't suggested any at all!

mistlethrush Mon 07-Oct-13 12:16:43

I know a couple of Welsh Geraints which I think is a lovely name.

harryhausen Mon 07-Oct-13 13:35:42

Hywel?

harryhausen Mon 07-Oct-13 13:38:36

OP, I only know one Arthur. He's 4. My Dcs are 8 and 6 and there are none I know of in the school. There are a few Rhys's. I'm not living in Wales.

grin At the memory of 'Idris' the dragon from Ivor the Engine.

Cezella Mon 07-Oct-13 13:56:25

I'm Welsh first language and can confirm Arthwr is made up- it wouldn't even make the sound Arthur- all the Welsh Arthurs I know are just Arthur but it's often pronounced "ir" rather than "ur" if you know what I mean.

How about Iago? That's my favourite Welsh boys name!

Or...

Ifan /Evan
Rhys
Owain
Elgan

MiniMonty Mon 07-Oct-13 14:04:32

I have to put a vote in for Morgan. About as Welsh as it gets, impossible to mispronounce, an easy name to "live with" as a kid.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 14:26:03

Geraint, Morgan, Owen all great but relatives. Iago is cool but would have thought Shakespeare rather than Welsh?

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 14:28:20

And I haven't seen Orthello but isn't Iago the baddie?

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 14:30:31

Idris - taken
Elgan -marbles
Rhys - know millions

I am seriously coming down in favour of Emrys...

BestIsWest Mon 07-Oct-13 15:46:45

Have to disagree about An-eye-rin being the wrong pron - depends where in Wales you come from.

What about Iestyn?

BurberryQ Mon 07-Oct-13 15:55:14

ooh Iestyn what a great name!
yes Iago was a big big baddie, no good at all.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 07-Oct-13 19:13:57

Faulous

They'd only say it incorrectly until they were corrected, same as any other unfamiliar name.

Best An-eye-rin is wrong though, the letters in the name don't make an eye sound in Welsh. This may not be an issue in the more Anglicised areas but it doesn't make it right either.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 07-Oct-13 19:15:32

Such a shame about Othello really. Iago is a great name but as he was the baddest of the bad in that play it really isn't ok.

My dp lectured me about this for ages once. Agreed Jago could be a compromise of sorts. As in, he still hates it but it's at least not Iago.

thegreylady Mon 07-Oct-13 19:47:23

Idris is perfect smile

BestIsWest Mon 07-Oct-13 20:14:33

Ali - I understand what you are saying as we are near Swansea so yes it is more anglicised perhaps but both my parents, grandparents etc are native Welsh speakers and would use the 'eye' pronunciation, not just in Aneirin or Aneurin. Doesn't mean it's wrong sorry.

Iamsanta Mon 07-Oct-13 20:15:37

Neifion,
Taran,
Sandde,
Dewi,

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 20:26:43

Idris is great. And recently used by one of my oldest friends.

I love everything about Aneurin/Aneirin APART from the fact that I have grown up hearing it and am still a bit fuzzy about its pronunciation! When my Dad (welsh 1st language) says it it sounds like it almost has 4 syllables:"a nigh re an" with a slightly rolled r. I'm not sure I'd be able to do a good job of explaining it to people not from UK!

Now I'm thinking of trying to persuade DH that Taliesin is the way forward...he is less anti that than most others surprisingly.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 20:31:06

Ooo v interesting Iamsanta...I just googled Taran. Welsh and Indian... Def interested. I had never heard of it. Do you know any?

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 07-Oct-13 20:33:24

Best

I think accent affects it. For such a small country Wales has a wide variety of local accents!

I live in Cardiff but my Taid is a native Welsh speaker...from North Wales, remarkably different to South Walian!

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 20:37:35

Any other welsh people ever heard of Taran or Neifion? I like them but totally new to me.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Mon 07-Oct-13 20:44:15

Iamsanta is it ta-ran (a as in apple) or taa-ran (a as in car)?

Iamsanta Mon 07-Oct-13 20:52:45

Neifion is welsh for Neptune, know one little Neifion.

I know two Tarans, lovely name.

What about Celt?
Gwion,
Robart
Llwyd

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 07-Oct-13 21:19:42

I know one Taran - lovely name.

What about Elian or Cian?

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 08-Oct-13 10:19:47

I think I might start a new thread some time about Neifion and Taran. Thanks!

spiderlight Tue 08-Oct-13 12:14:39

I've never come across Taran before but I LOVE it! (Is 6 too old to change DS's name...?)

Iamsanta Tue 08-Oct-13 16:43:47

Well if you go with Taran or Neifion I think I deserve to be godmother. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now