Quaint girls name

(47 Posts)
YummyMummybee Fri 04-Oct-13 22:28:33

Hi we thought we had agreed on a girls name after a close family member, however as this family member constantly undermines me, is disrepectful to me & hubby,etc so we have decided to reconsider our first choice. To be honest I wasnt totally mad on it but as it is hubbys relative he would have liked to honour her but her behavious over the past couple of years has made him think twice.

Our dd is Molly & we both love quaint old fashioned names. Possible suggestions are Florence, Tilly, Esme, Alice, Daisy & Poppy etc. Please suggest some more along the same lines.

Plus maybe a little advice on how to u-turn with this family member who assumes the next girl will be named after her. We mentioned in the past we would like to honour her by doing so but her treatment of us in recent years has been terrible so now we are choosing a name we both love.

Belinda

Em2121 Thu 17-Oct-13 09:10:32

Oh I love quaint names.

My eldest is a Charlotte, but always goes by the nn Lottie. A friend has a daughter Hetty. Some names from relatives are Winnie, Jenny, Elsie, Isabella (always called Bella).

mathanxiety Thu 17-Oct-13 03:01:58

Since she favours some of the DCs over others anyway, just be sure to keep well away from her, and remember there is nothing you can do to affect how she treats people one way or another. Do what pleases you and make it clear to her you do not care what she thinks. She will at least respect you slightly for that. Don't ever try to get in the good books of someone like your MIL. They can sense the neediness behind that kind of tack, and they despise you all the more for it; stand up to her and you will at least avoid being despised. I think that's the best you can hope for.

Have you ever read Toxic Parents by Susan Forward?

Thants Sun 13-Oct-13 16:11:18

Frida or Eliza

YummyMummybee Sun 13-Oct-13 16:06:09

Thanks Sleepyfergus, she is a nightmare. It is really myself & DHs fault we are in this pickle as for the last few years we said we would be naming DD1 after my wonderful mom which we did & DD2 after her & then tried to insist that if we had a boy it would be named after FIL, she just pushes & pushes. Good advice sleepyfergus, we are going with a name we love however I really hope she doesn't resent dd2 due to our choice... She favours certain grandchildren & tries to play them off against each other for Grandma's attention e.g giving one granchild something she knit especially for her in front of my dd, or bringing certain ones presents from holidays & not others... She is a delightful woman!!!!!

Sleepyfergus Sun 13-Oct-13 07:11:14

When MiL kicks off, just turn round and say that never in a million years would you name your daughter after her due to her being a thoroughly unpleasant woman. That sadly, you want to name your daughter with a name that makes you feel happy and she, (MiL) clearly doesn't.

You sound like you have the backing of DH so actually, you don't have to justify yourselves to this woman at all. If she wants a relationship with her sons family, then she needs to rethink her behaviour.

Let her create a scene, just don't rise to it.

DropYourSword Sun 13-Oct-13 07:04:25

I love daisy and poppy!

mathanxiety Sun 13-Oct-13 07:00:40

I think I prefer Nora as a first name -- Nora Florence would be my choice. I think it flows better than Florence Nora and also because somewhere in there I hear the word 'snorer'.

I don't like Daisy or Poppy. I think they are very twee.

How about Cissie? Short for Narcissa...
Just kidding.

Jux Sun 13-Oct-13 00:18:55

Florrie as short for Florence is lovely. I love Florence. Cynthia is another favourite of mine. (DD is neither though!)

YummyMummybee Sat 12-Oct-13 23:46:13

Thanks a million for all the suggestions, we have decided to whittle it down to Florence Nora, Daisy Nora or Poppy Nora. Any advice on how to deal with MIL's narcissistic wrath when she hears dd2 is not named after her would be greatly appreciated too!xx

RalphtheTimid Sat 12-Oct-13 22:04:56

Dora

manicinsomniac Sat 12-Oct-13 11:50:52

I like Esme from your list.

How about:
Amy, Annie, Bessie, Beth, Bonnie, Bella, Cassie, Carrie, Callie, Daphne, Dollie, Dottie, Elsie, Edie, Edith, Evie, Faye, Gayle, Grace, Hattie, Hetty, Isla, Iris, Ivy, Ines, Jessie, Jane, Julia, Josie, Lily, Lucy, Lacey, Mary, Maisie, Nancy, Nessie, Penny, Ruby, Rosie, Sylvie, Sally, Tessa, Wendy.

YummyMummybee Sat 12-Oct-13 11:16:27

Rhubarb garden, Flora unfortunately reminds me of the butter which is a pity as I love the namesad I was reading a little Flora Fairy book with dd this morning & thinking what a pity about the butter!!!

Rhubarbgarden Sat 12-Oct-13 10:43:29

I love Nora. How about Flora?

LeoandBoosmum Sat 12-Oct-13 00:53:18

Eliza is an old-fashioned, quaint name...

YummyMummybee Sat 12-Oct-13 00:50:37

Sorry Pistillate not really a fan of Dulbie even though it does fit the brief of quaint name perfectly xxx

YummyMummybee Sat 12-Oct-13 00:49:41

Thanks Iheartkingthistle, yes I think we are too, this woman has been so cruel to me & hubby, tried turning my SIL's against me & vice versa, blatently favours other grandchildren & is very dismissive of anything I have to say, we learned the hard way & now we are distancing ourselves from her narcissistic behaviour. If we named dd2 after her it would be as hubby put "a huge boost & something to gloat to the neighbours about"so we are going to with a name we love & not use hers as a middle name... There will be war though initally with plenty of criticism of what we do pick.....
Florence, Daisy or Poppy are current front runners. I love Florence Nora & think it sounds well with Molly, however I hate Flo or Flosssad Think Daisy Nora sounds very cute as does Poppy Nora. All go well with Molly.

Pistillate Sat 12-Oct-13 00:40:35

I love lime pickle's suggestion, Dulcie.

Nora is an awesome name. I think you're doing the right thing.

YummyMummybee Sat 12-Oct-13 00:28:33

Thanks so much for the replies & advice, said relative is MIL, for years we said we would name our dd's after our respective mothers DD1 named after my mum & dd2 after her but her horrific treatment of both hubby & I, lack of interest in our beautiful little girl & her completely narcissistic behaviour has made us changed our minds. There will be WW3 when she finds out she baby wasn't named after her, we have no desire to further boost her ego....... Thank you for the kind replies as it is a difficult decision for us to make, we do not want dd2 being resented by grandma over our choice but due to her behaviour of late we have distanced ourselves from her so dd2 won't be seeing too much of her anyways unless she starts treating me & hubby with some respect.
Anyways names in the running now Daisy, Poppy or Florence, jury is out about even giving her the second name. I would like to use Nora after a very close family member on my side,hubby doesn't mind either way.

SicknSpan Mon 07-Oct-13 00:05:52

myrtle
louisa
etteline

reelingintheyears Sun 06-Oct-13 16:27:36

I love Clara, DD has bagged it now Ds1 and DiL are expecting a girl, she told them they can't have it. grin
I like Nancy too, it just sounds so cheerful.

Maud is awful and Agnes worse.

KLou1105 Sun 06-Oct-13 16:21:54

Elsie
Nora
Martha
Rosa
Eleanor
Grace
Cora
Evelyn
Nancy
Ruby
polly

HasItStartedYet Sun 06-Oct-13 14:03:36

Clara
Martha

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 05-Oct-13 23:35:27

Dorcas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now