Indian name for English girl?

(33 Posts)
Eddiethehorse Fri 04-Oct-13 17:04:55

We are English but we love an Indian name...Aarti...I know a couple and I've liked them a lot! Weird to give an Indian name to an English baby girl? Thoughts on Aarti as a name irrespective of origin?

Blu Fri 04-Oct-13 20:52:54

thesaurusgirl - i know smile all my ILs are Indian diaspora and many not first language English speakers. i know the t/d sound of which you speak, which English speakers can very well master - and frankly if second and third generation Indians in the UK choose to pronounce theri name 'Arti', why shouldn't EddieTheHorse?

My DPs name is pronounced differently depending on which country he is in - and his mother says it totally differntly to the way he says it. Neither seem to think the other is wrong.

thesaurusgirl Fri 04-Oct-13 21:03:19

How did you learn the d/t sound Blu? Have tried to get my tongue round it for years and failed.

People can pronounce their own names however they like, but it's a shame that we butcher really beautiful, meaningful names with our pronunciation. I have a friend whose name is Gitanjali. Of course people pronounce the first syllable "Git" and the last two to sound like Angela. She made life easier for everyone by calling herself Anji but her name is stunning when "correctly" pronounced.

MERLYPUSS Fri 04-Oct-13 21:57:34

I learnt the d/t sound by marrying a Sri Lankan.
The j in Ceylonese (?) is often pronounced 'sh' as is the case in DH's name.
(BTW his English pronunciation is better than mine, you'd never guess he was Asian on the phone, on loads of stuff but he still occasionally slips up on p/f)

Eddiethehorse Sat 05-Oct-13 05:09:26

Thanks everyone. We live in the Middle East, lots of Indians here and the ladies I know do pronounce the 't' but the 'I' is pronounced with more of an inflection. DD1 has a Greek name. I love Artemis but it's the name of the restaurant we had our wedding reception in in Cyprus!
I love everyone's opinions and overall not bad in favour!! I don't even know the sex yet...probably will be a boy this time and then we are really stuck!

linn111111 Wed 09-Oct-13 20:35:14

Shreya

katemarch Fri 11-Oct-13 17:12:49

Both of my children have latin names and me and my husband are entirely English. Some people thought we were a bit odd but they were the names we loved! I don't think it matters.

RunRabbit Sun 13-Oct-13 18:25:56

Why would you want to give your child a name you clearly can't even correctly pronounce?

Case and point:

NadiaWadia
Hmm ... do you pronounce it the same as Artie (boys' name short for Arthur?)
Eddiethehorse Fri 04-Oct-13 19:01:24
Yes!

No, actually, it isn't.

justanuthermanicmumsday "Many Asians keep English names."

Probably because they speak English and know how to pronounce such names.
If the OP spoke Hindi and knew how to pronounce the name, it might make the name selection slightly less odd.

If I saw an English person being called/it being pronounced 'Artie'. I'd be more likely to think the person had a love of Art and what a bizarre thing to call a child rather than it having any known relation to the Indian name.

Bonniemum24 Sun 13-Oct-13 20:43:27

My dd is half Asian, half white and is called Hanna
We also know a Soraya

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now