What do you think of Elliot?

(61 Posts)
littlemslazybones Mon 30-Sep-13 18:58:12

I like this name and am considering naming ds3, due Jan, Elliot. When I have mentioned this to some family members they pull a face while saying 'oh really? Er, that's nice'. What are they thinking that they haven't got the balls to say to a hormonal pregnant woman? Am I missing something?

VBisme Mon 30-Sep-13 19:00:19

I like Elliot.

cranberryorange Mon 30-Sep-13 19:03:48

ET, but very nice unless shortened to El like my nephew which makes it naff.

koalacube Mon 30-Sep-13 19:06:33

I like it and it was on my list for DS1 and DS2 but DH wasn't keen. smile

IslaValargeone Mon 30-Sep-13 19:08:13

I think it's nice, a bit kind of cutesy perhaps? but still nice.
Can I throw in Elias as a wild card?

FellatioNelson Mon 30-Sep-13 19:10:10

It's quite nineties but I really like it. I nearly called my 20 year old Elliott. Changed my mind at the very last minute. It's never become over-used.

littlemslazybones Mon 30-Sep-13 19:19:47

Interesting thoughts, thanks. I can imagine the potential ET references might be the issue but that movie must be almost 30 years old now - bloody Spielberg.

I don't mind if it's a bit cutesy - Elias might be a little to wild to pass without grief in this neck of the woods.

The most vocal opponent is ds1 (6) who insists it's a girl's name.

TheApprentice Mon 30-Sep-13 19:22:48

I have an Elliot. He is 5. I still really love his name and am glad that we chose it. I don't think its cutesy at all, although he's not really a cutesy sort of boy so that maybe part of it!

Apparently it is being used as a girl's name sometimes now - someone from one of those American V shows I don't watch was a woman called Elliot. That's a bit of a shame to me, as I see it very much as a boy's name.

elcranko Mon 30-Sep-13 19:22:51

I love Elliot! Although I do actually like it for a girl too, it's definitely a boy's name IMO.

TheApprentice Mon 30-Sep-13 19:23:12

TV shows, not V shows!

TheApprentice Mon 30-Sep-13 19:24:16

Oh yes - another thing. We never mentioned it to anyone before he was born so if people don't like it then at least I don't know they don't like it!

littlemslazybones Mon 30-Sep-13 19:28:51

Smart move TheApprentice. I don't know why I'm canvassing opinions this time around, I didn't feel the need to before. I think I will go with Elliot, I do love it.

toobreathless Mon 30-Sep-13 19:44:24

Love it.

TooTryHard Mon 30-Sep-13 19:47:16

It's not my style but I've always thought it was nice. I don't think it's cutesy either.

Love it. I wanted to use it but already have a Harriet and they sound too alike.

MummyBeerest Mon 30-Sep-13 19:56:16

I love it. Was on my list if DD was a boy.

Lioncubs Mon 30-Sep-13 20:53:09

Love it. Don't get opinions from others if you like or it may make things confusing in the over hormonal state :-)

Lioncubs Mon 30-Sep-13 20:53:54

I mean if you like the name. Stop asking others now and just keep it for the arrival

TeamJavert Mon 30-Sep-13 20:57:15

I think it's horrid. I hate the way it sounds. I detest E.T. Not sure if that's responsible for my dislike of the name.

getmeoutofthismadhouse Mon 30-Sep-13 21:01:37

I love it. I wanted it for my ds' middle name .

littlemslazybones Mon 30-Sep-13 21:07:38

grin Don't suppose there's any chance you are my sister TeamJavert?

Lioncubs you are right. I was just making sure there aren't any axe-murdering Elliot's that has put people off or such like. I do think I'll stick with it.

miffybun73 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:09:01

I'm afraid that it is my least favourite name ever, it makes me shudder.

Not really sure why exactly, but I hate ET and there was an awful boy at school who teased/bullied me called Elliott. (I know one other who is now 3 and is lovely, but that hasn't converted me)

Come to think of it those two reasons probably explain it.

miffybun73 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:11:03

My post wasn't in response to yours OP. If you love the name then go for it. Naming a baby is a very personal thing and for any given name loads of people will love it and loads will hate it smile

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Mon 30-Sep-13 21:14:40

I also love it and think it's not an easy name to pigeonhole. The woman in the medical series called Elliot has sparked this notion that it's a girl's name; however, I've met various Elliots IRL but they've all been boys. I think the use of it for girls is much more an American thing.

Oh, and who doesn't like ET? You monsters! grin

littlemslazybones Mon 30-Sep-13 21:15:36

That's ok miffybun. I don't need it to be a universally loved name I just didn't want to burden this child with a universally disliked name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now