What do you think of Merlin?

(57 Posts)
Chottie Sun 29-Sep-13 21:04:50

for a boy's first name?

JoJoManon Fri 04-Oct-13 15:41:22

Am not a fan either. Ask yourself if you were a boy would you like to be called Merlin?
I know I'd think of wizards.

TenthMuse Fri 04-Oct-13 14:49:18

Doesn't Bryan Ferry have a Merlin, by the way?

Yes - just googled: sons are Otis - Isaac - Tara - Merlin. Pretty unsual selection there!

Also quite like bish's suggestion of Griffin.

TenthMuse Fri 04-Oct-13 14:45:23

It's one of my 'guilty pleasure' names (love the sound and am a bit of a mythology buff) but I still wouldn't do it. Would only vaguely consider it if I was positive that he would grow up to be a tortured but terribly handsome artist or poet type. I live in a very cosmopolitan area of London, where most names are pretty accepted, but Merlin would still raise a few eyebrows I think.

I like it, don't think its weird or wrong, its a name. It just happens to be a name of a famous legend druid or wizard.

Names are suppose to identify people from each other, if you like it use it. If you introduce your child with confidence, they will not be embarrassed by their name, well that's my opinion.

Leopoldina Fri 04-Oct-13 11:11:16

Love it. I like to take the "what would Bryan Ferry do" approach to naming boys.
Ditto Gawain (the only one of them I know is ultra cool, gorgeous, married to a pretty-much-supermodel).

sparkle12mar08 Fri 04-Oct-13 11:07:08

I know an 8 year old Merlin. His parents are... odd, frankly. Nice enough if you live in Wales or are Welsh, but otherwise, no.

is this for a pet?

GillyBillyWilly Fri 04-Oct-13 08:03:17

I know a merlin... Late twenties... Very cool guy... Very popular... Everybody loves him!

First time I met him I was like "ok but what's your REAL name?!" grin
He laughed and said people always ask him that... Whilst showing me his ID!

WinteronPluto Mon 30-Sep-13 20:55:05

I don't think it's a good idea.

Meringue33 Mon 30-Sep-13 19:07:06

Love it.

I know a Merlijn but he is Dutch.

MsJupiterJones Mon 30-Sep-13 11:40:38

Emrys?

bishboschone Mon 30-Sep-13 11:33:35

How about griffin?

elfycat Mon 30-Sep-13 11:27:01

DH wanted this for DD1. It was probably after the sorcerer but he argued it was a bird and a helicopter but that might not be relevant After all <he argued> there are other bird names Robin, Wren, Jay, Raven.

To be fair the idea of naming my daughter after a bird that would happily rip the throat out of small squeaky things did appeal but...

I pointed out her name might be shortened to Lyn, a name he doesn't like. So we named her after a hobbit/ fictional flower instead.

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 11:23:03

ofc there are Welsh connections - the proper name for Carmarthen is Caerfyrddin e.g. 'Merlin's Castle

waikikamookau Mon 30-Sep-13 11:21:31

the merlin I know has a sister called Gwen,
perhaps there are welsh connections.

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 11:21:16

quite a nice name for a horse, otherwise no, definitely not.

waikikamookau Mon 30-Sep-13 11:20:33

i do know one, but I still don't like it sorry

Tavv Mon 30-Sep-13 11:18:09

Odd and wizardy

daughterofafarmer Mon 30-Sep-13 09:15:39

I know two. Aged late 20's very charming, handsome and popular and the other is 3! I love it and would if DH would let me blush because I have seen the name on an adult it has never stuck me as being odd.

Either way you are never going to forgot this name.

headsspinningforachange Mon 30-Sep-13 00:49:54

Great as long as you intend on sending him to Hogwarts

I love it. I live in Cornwall and have come across a few down here.

toobreathless Mon 30-Sep-13 00:42:30

I like it & am generally pretty conservative in my tastes!

Ablababla Mon 30-Sep-13 00:26:02

I had a great uncle Merlin. Very gay and extremely funny you'd have to be a bit of a character to pull it off.

BackforGood Mon 30-Sep-13 00:20:59

No. Just No

elcranko Mon 30-Sep-13 00:06:42

Wizard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now