What do you think of Merlin?

(57 Posts)
Chottie Sun 29-Sep-13 21:04:50

for a boy's first name?

is this for a pet?

sparkle12mar08 Fri 04-Oct-13 11:07:08

I know an 8 year old Merlin. His parents are... odd, frankly. Nice enough if you live in Wales or are Welsh, but otherwise, no.

Leopoldina Fri 04-Oct-13 11:11:16

Love it. I like to take the "what would Bryan Ferry do" approach to naming boys.
Ditto Gawain (the only one of them I know is ultra cool, gorgeous, married to a pretty-much-supermodel).

I like it, don't think its weird or wrong, its a name. It just happens to be a name of a famous legend druid or wizard.

Names are suppose to identify people from each other, if you like it use it. If you introduce your child with confidence, they will not be embarrassed by their name, well that's my opinion.

TenthMuse Fri 04-Oct-13 14:45:23

It's one of my 'guilty pleasure' names (love the sound and am a bit of a mythology buff) but I still wouldn't do it. Would only vaguely consider it if I was positive that he would grow up to be a tortured but terribly handsome artist or poet type. I live in a very cosmopolitan area of London, where most names are pretty accepted, but Merlin would still raise a few eyebrows I think.

TenthMuse Fri 04-Oct-13 14:49:18

Doesn't Bryan Ferry have a Merlin, by the way?

Yes - just googled: sons are Otis - Isaac - Tara - Merlin. Pretty unsual selection there!

Also quite like bish's suggestion of Griffin.

JoJoManon Fri 04-Oct-13 15:41:22

Am not a fan either. Ask yourself if you were a boy would you like to be called Merlin?
I know I'd think of wizards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now