Would you put Imogen in the same category as Abigail?

(13 Posts)
looki Fri 27-Sep-13 00:12:33

What names would you put Imogen in the same category as please?
Its becoming more and popular popular and so I'm wondering what it is currently being compared to/in the same category as...I was thinking perhaps Abigail, Poppy, Eliza etc where once I'd have thought it belonged in the same category as Elizabeth? I'm not sure this post will make sense to anyone?
If you have a daughter named Imogen, could you say what her siblings/potential siblings are called?

TheCountessOlenska Fri 27-Sep-13 07:17:47

I've got an Imogen - it was a name I'd loved for years along with Natasha and Amber, I always thought it sounded glamorous (maybe Jilly Cooper influenced blush )

My Imogen has a friend called Imogen but it doesn't seem to bother them grin They came up with their own nicknames!

I haven't come across any others.

I can't say her siblings name as it would out me but I admit we went a bit more unusual second time around!

niffernaffer Fri 27-Sep-13 08:29:50

I know what you are talking about! Yes I would far more readily put in the category of Abigail and Poppy than with Elizabeth/ Eliza - the latter strike me as more 'timeless' names of the type found in Austen and Dickens. I would classify Lucy, Jane, Eleanor, Charlotte etc in the same way as the latter.
I think Imogen also goes with Grace, Olivia and Amelia - any of the 'modern classics'.

Littlecherublegs Fri 27-Sep-13 12:08:07

I think names in a similar category to Imogen are:

Scarlett
Freya
Erin
Naomi
Heidi
Ella
Zoe
Keira
Brooke
Elise

I think Abigail more along the lines of Charlotte, Eleanor, Hannah, Emily.

Imogen seems 'harder' in some sense, and less common (though agree it is becoming more popular). Whereas Abigail is softer, more feminine and traditional maybe.

ouryve Fri 27-Sep-13 12:16:55

DS2 would have been Imogen, if it wasn't for the willy. His name wasn't that popular when he was born, either. I owuldn't lump it in with Poppy. IMO, Imogen is a strong name, while Poppy is a bit twee.

Listmaker Fri 27-Sep-13 12:20:49

Two of my friends have an Imogen and an Abigail so I would say very much in the same category!

manicinsomniac Fri 27-Sep-13 12:23:11

I only know one Imogen and her sisters are Natasha and Madeleine. All three beautiful names I think.

I do think of Imogen as being in the same category as Abigail. Along with:
Annabelle, Amelia, Amy, Anna, Alice, Alexandra, Bryony, Bethany, Charlotte, Catherine, Caitlyn, Chloe, Daisy, Emma, Emily, Eleanor, Florence, Felicity, Francesca, Grace, Hannah, Harriet, Isabel, Jessica, Jennifer, Joanna, Julia, Juliet, Katie, Lucy, Louisa, Melissa, Madeleine, Miranda, Matilda, Megan, Nicole, Natalie, Natasha, Naomi, Olivia, Philippa, Rebecca, Rachel, Rosie, Rhiannon, Sarah, Samantha, Sophie, Victoria, Zoe.

Names that have been consistently recognised/popular-ish for a long time.

looki Fri 27-Sep-13 14:22:00

Wow thanks for that long list. I'm worried that Rhiannon Bethany Daisy are similar style names though.

Naming a baby is v hard isn't it!

MatildaWhispers Fri 27-Sep-13 19:04:33

I considered both Imogen and Abigail, and my dds names appear in that list above. I agree they seem like 'modern classic' names to me, though actually many of them are very 'old' names.

I would not put Poppy in that category though, not sure why.

WinteronPluto Fri 27-Sep-13 21:34:40

I don't understand this at all!

EdithWeston Fri 27-Sep-13 21:46:02

Abigail is Biblical, so I'd put it with eg Ruth, Naomi, Esther, Jemima

Imogen is Shakesperian, so would go with eg Celia, Rosalind, Desdemona, Juliet, Portia, Jessica, Mopsa

fuckwittery Sat 28-Sep-13 08:14:24

Yes, I have one of these, and the other name has been consistently high on our list for another girl!

MrsMongoose Sun 29-Sep-13 00:50:35

Imogen and Abigail were my dad's choices for my sister and I. Mum vetoed both - but yes, very much in the same category.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now