Frances - classic or frumpy?

(78 Posts)
TooTryHard Wed 25-Sep-13 21:40:52

I was thinking classic and beautiful and now I'm wobbling.

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Wed 25-Sep-13 22:58:36

I love it. Definitely classic and beautiful. And plenty of options for more informal nicknames. A winner.

NadiaWadia Wed 25-Sep-13 23:03:28

Sorry I find it dull and a bit unisex - because of the male name Francis which sounds the same. Francesca is lovely though.

sleepingbeautiful Thu 26-Sep-13 00:37:23

I love it and it's DDs middle name. I would totally have used for first name but DH was annoying.

I'm always lol when people prefer Francesca and see that as 'posh' because it's v popular among the chav element where my family live. Once you've heard Francesca ge' 'ere now ya little +@#* yelled across the shop in a thick Scouse accent it will be ruined forever :p

kiwik Thu 26-Sep-13 03:10:05

I love it - and the male version too, as I have a Francis. He sometimes gets called Fran, but never Frank or Frankie.

CruCru Thu 26-Sep-13 07:48:23

I love Frances. Unfortunately it was vetoed by DH.

CruCru Thu 26-Sep-13 07:49:43

However, if you hate Frankie as a nickname, you may wish to pause as she is likely to get that at school.

TheRealHousewifeOfSomewhere Thu 26-Sep-13 07:52:00

beautiful. love it. not frumpy at all.

magicstars Thu 26-Sep-13 08:11:50

Not keen I'm afraid.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 26-Sep-13 08:12:49

Frumpy, but certainly not awful. There are nicer names to use.

MaryPoppinsBag Thu 26-Sep-13 08:16:44

Lovely name my grandmother was called Frances. And we wanted to use it for a girl, but had two boys.

squoosh Thu 26-Sep-13 10:37:09

I love Frances, feminine and elegant but not twee and girlie. It has an air of 1940s glamour about it.

Love Frankie as a nickname too.

squoosh Thu 26-Sep-13 10:39:11

If you're not keen on Frankie as a nickname just remind yourself that it could be worse...................Fanny is short for Frances too, although thankfully out of vogue!

MrsBungle Thu 26-Sep-13 10:39:43

In my opinion, it is quite a frumpy, middle-aged boring name but it's not terrible.

SanityClause Thu 26-Sep-13 10:40:39

I really like it. It is strong and classic.

I love Fran as a nickname. It makes me think of that episode of Black's Books, where the man with the sexy voice keeps saying "Fran? Fran?" over and over again.

<hopes she hasn't put the OP off>

bebopanddoowop Thu 26-Sep-13 11:08:53

It's my middle name. When I was wee I found it a bit confusing because I had a good friend (a boy) called Francis and so often forgot that mine had an E. That might have been partly because I wanted to be a boy though, ha! I wasn't quite sure why my name was a plural to a country either.
But now I am older and less stupid I like it. It is quite old fashioned but I think in a 'classic' way. I am 26 and know a couple of people with it as their middle name and 2 with it as their first - one my age and one in their 80s.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 26-Sep-13 11:14:04

I like Frances. I much prefer Francesca, though ( I know that wasn't your question!!)
I know a Francesca, and she's nn Frankie, but I know a Frances, and she is always Fran, which I prefer to Frances.

TalkativeJim Thu 26-Sep-13 11:15:54

Much prefer Francesca too I'm afraid. Yes Frances is a classic, but I find it absolutely colourless.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 26-Sep-13 11:25:30

Classic, un-frilly but lovely. Also very classless, as in could be any, which I like about it.

Personally don't like Frankie but Fran and Franny are nice and it's a name that doesn't really need shortening anyway.

You may get some gender confusion early on and definitely spelling confusion with the boy version but that's a nice name too and some people just can't spell.

Francesca is a lovely name too but a very different name IMO, I see them as belonging to different groups of names, so not interchangeable at all.

dizzy77 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:27:47

Frances was on my list for the child who turned out to be DS2. As was Constance. I like that sibilant end and love Fran/Connie as nns. Go for it.

Papyrus02 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:31:16

Lovely name. Was on my short list for both DD's - wish I'd used it. Go for it. It's classic - love nn Fran.

treaclesoda Thu 26-Sep-13 11:33:53

Classic, I like it. I don't like Frankie as a nickname though.

Branleuse Thu 26-Sep-13 11:37:09

love it

ToffeeCaramel Thu 26-Sep-13 12:51:57

Love it

night1971 Thu 26-Sep-13 18:59:11

Refreshing and different, pretty too.

GRW Thu 26-Sep-13 20:00:09

Love it and think it's much nicer than Francesca.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now