Samuel...is it too "safe"?

(38 Posts)
Wannabuyawatch Mon 23-Sep-13 17:27:04

I love the name Samuel but is it a bit of a safe option? His surname is Spinola so I thought the name Samuel Spinola was quite a cool combo...thoughts?

EugenesAxe Sat 28-Sep-13 23:04:50

I have a Sam(uel) and also dislike Sammy... but I'm so shit with casualness when it comes to names that I fall back on it lots. He gets called Sam, Sammy, Samuel, Sam Sam, and Samwise.

I think it might be a regional thing though, as it's mainly DH that puts it in my head and he is James but is always called Jamie by his DPs.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 28-Sep-13 22:40:47

Great surname!

Samuel is a nice name but very over-used around here (in a school of 170 there are about 10 Sams and we know others from out of school too). I think I would go for something a little less common and not necessarily an 'S' name either.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Sat 28-Sep-13 22:35:17

Sam/ Samuel is lovely IMHO.

ZenNudist Sat 28-Sep-13 22:33:44

I love Samuel. My friend insists on using the long version of her sons name which I think is nice. If you dont mind there being waaaay too many sams out there use it.

BikeRunSki Sat 28-Sep-13 22:31:01

"Solid" is what my step father says about Samuel as my DS's name too breathless.

BikeRunSki Sat 28-Sep-13 22:29:09

My Samuel is usually known as Sam or Sammy and has a very unremarkable English occupation surname - similar to Baker. He is just 5, started Reception last month and we have never met another one his age.

Not "safe", nice name, well known for a reason!

lestagal78 Sat 28-Sep-13 22:23:38

A lovely name. And goes great with your surname.

Like most names it is popular but not overly so. Mine is the only one in his year 2 class and I don't know any more than any other boys name.

miffybun73 Fri 27-Sep-13 18:05:29

Love it.

Samuel Spinola sounds very cool to me smile

tammytoby Fri 27-Sep-13 12:54:59

If Sam is too boring/overused, how about these S names
Sidney
Stanley
Stephen
Spencer

toobreathless Fri 27-Sep-13 11:06:39

Good, solid name. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just find it a bit boring.

Sounds great with your surname.

austenozzy Fri 27-Sep-13 11:01:10

Sam Spinola sounds great. I'd be waiting for him to make me an offer I couldn't refuse! :-)

DropYourSword Fri 27-Sep-13 02:47:29

He sounds like a cool PI ! I really like it, especially connected with your surname. I don't think it's playing it safe. I don't like the current trend for really out there names and think something like Ulysses Spinola or Jupiter Spinola would sound insane IMHO!!

argylesocks Fri 27-Sep-13 02:38:02

An S name sounds nice but I just know so many baby Samuels it's getting a little overdone to me. I only know two baby boys born last year that weren't a Samuel! So that's four baby Sams and another due this month. It's a nice name but getting too popular for me.

clary Fri 27-Sep-13 01:24:58

Your surname is great!

I think with an unusual surname it's not a bad idea to choose a fairly familiar name that is easy to spell. Abernathy Spinola (for example) is probably too much to swallow.

Sam is very popular tho - I teach secondary and there is one or two in most of my classes. It's right up there with Josh and Joe. Popular names because they are nice tho smile

Retroformica Thu 26-Sep-13 22:33:16

I love that name and Sam . If he has a brother call him Joseph - perfect match

tammytoby Thu 26-Sep-13 13:03:26

Sam is fine but yes, it is very widely used and he may well need a modifier to differentiate him from other Sams. Two Sams in our Cub group even share the same surname initial - can get a little confusing at times.

MrsBungle Thu 26-Sep-13 11:37:10

I think it is very safe but it is a nice name .

Wannabuyawatch Thu 26-Sep-13 11:32:36

Thank you for all the replies! I am pretty convinced but maybe another cool S name instead??

duchessandscruffy Wed 25-Sep-13 22:19:30

Btw Sam spinola is a great name! But I think you have potential for loads of great names with that surname. One of my friends has the surname Lopez and I think whatever first name she had it would just sound cool!

duchessandscruffy Wed 25-Sep-13 22:14:53

I really like Samuel but it is just so common - as a teacher i have taught millions of then! it is very safe (but lovely if that doesn't bother you!)

MrsDibble Wed 25-Sep-13 10:52:29

Why safe? I think it's nice. Hadn't thought it was that popular but may vary depending on where you live.

My husband doesn't like Sam (because of Sams he has known) but I think it is a solid, trustworthy sort of name.

BettyBi0 Wed 25-Sep-13 09:19:21

Love Sam Spinola! Really memorable and I wouldn't worry too much about having a "safe" first name with such a gorgeous unusual surname.

WaspInTheHouse Tue 24-Sep-13 10:02:45

I have one, there's absolutely loads of them about, but don't care because it's lovely. Also, with that surname, it does sound fab.

My other child has a very very very unusual name. But if you love a name you love it whether it's incredibly popular or not.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 24-Sep-13 08:42:16

Sam Spinola sounds quite dangerous actually, but in a good way! grin

rachel234 Tue 24-Sep-13 08:35:38

In ds's class of 13 there are 2 Sams and we know loads outside school.

So yes, perfectly nice name but perhaps a little too common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now