far out baby name threads

(24 Posts)
southeastastra Sun 22-Sep-13 23:01:37

i don't get these, if you can come up with names like aurelia and jupiter why on earth would you need help to come up with a siblings names?

MollyBerry Sun 22-Sep-13 23:48:08

Because you used your far out name on your first/second/third DC

MollyBerry Sun 22-Sep-13 23:48:21

or you just want some new inspiration?

MrsShrek3 Sun 22-Sep-13 23:51:53

sigh. I'm with you SEA.
I also have a bee in the bonnet over their insulting of normal less imaginative names. Particularly ones which weren't in the top 200 when one named one's now teen dc but happen to have hit the top 10 in the last two or three years. angry
rant over.

DaleyBump Mon 23-Sep-13 00:02:13

Not really your business though, is it? Doesn't affect you, each to their own.

aufaniae Mon 23-Sep-13 00:03:08

I don't understand the question.
If you substitute popular names, it's the same:

"if you can come up with names like Amelia and Jack why on earth would you need help to come up with a siblings names?"

Why would anyone need help coming up with names? Because they just can't think of the one, I suppose. Irrelevant whether it's popular or "far out", isn't it?

I needed help coming up with a name for DD and DS's name is pretty unusual. (7 with the same name in his birth year). Why does that mean I would be find naming DD easy?

Genuinely confused

charleslingus Mon 23-Sep-13 09:17:21

Another thinly veiled inverted snobbery post on names.
Boring.

Name your children George and Amelia
Let other people use their imagination, end of story.

Vintageclock Mon 23-Sep-13 14:00:58

I don't see any inverted snobbery. What a strange comment.

charleslingus Mon 23-Sep-13 16:03:35

Just because you chose not to see it, it doesn't mean it's not there.

It's not a strange comment at all, unless of course you are ignorant to it I suppose. You see a lot of it on mn especially when it comes to names.

Vintageclock Tue 24-Sep-13 16:23:44

Wow. You're aggressive. Maybe it is you who is seeing something that isn't there not other people who are being 'ignorant'.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Tue 24-Sep-13 16:29:18

Yes, arguably if you like far out names you are more likely to need help thinking of one you like. If you have children called Jack and Amelia already, printing out a list of the top 100 names should find you one you like for DC3, would be one way of looking at it.

Not saying I agree with that, just that it's not necessarily easy depending on your name taste.

squoosh Tue 24-Sep-13 16:45:33

Ooooooh I don't know OP.......for the same reason that people with everyday old Jacks and Olivias ask for help coming up with names? They're looking for input from people with similar tastes.

rachel234 Wed 25-Sep-13 14:06:47

Because you are MORE likely to need helping finding a beautiful underused name than you'd need help picking a common top 100 name.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 27-Sep-13 00:03:34

Not sure about your definition of out there op. Aurelia is unusual but it's not comparable with Jupiter now is it.

Anjou Fri 27-Sep-13 03:25:50

What I don't understand is why people who prefer 'normal' (quoting an above poster) or less imaginative names constantly need to express their distaste for the choices of those with a bit more imagination. Pretty much EVERY thread with more unusual names gets comments such as "it's pretentious", "are you naming a dog or a child?", "you're kidding, right? Etc. it's incredibly rude. And yet you don't see people who are more creative commenting on "what do you think of George?" threads with "Jesus, that's so boring" or "I think oh god not another one". Maybe those that prefer more creative names have enough imagination to see that everyone is different?

If you have enough time on your hands to make disparaging comments about people you consider 'out there', perhaps you should find a hobby to pass the time a little more constructively. And creatively.

charleslingus Fri 27-Sep-13 10:47:48

What anjou said

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 27-Sep-13 13:04:05

I do find it interesting that it's totally fine to tell people calling their daughter Persephone is pretentious/try hard but saying Lily May (for example) is over used/common is not.

tammytoby Fri 27-Sep-13 13:10:33

Agree with Anjou as well.

We should all be encouraging each other to use MORE 'unusual' names - makes life much easier (people can be identified without the need to add initials or other modifiers) and more interesting! I work in a school and it would make it much easier for teachers too!

By the way, I love the name Aurelia and don't consider it too 'far out' at all. I do, however find names like Ellie and Jack a little overused.

charleslingus Fri 27-Sep-13 15:17:32

If I see a thread titled 'Lily-May or Amelia Grace' I just don't bother reading it, let alone comment on it. It's not my naming style, it doesn't interest me and I would rather keep my opinions on those names to myself as I'd feel like a massive bitch if I did disclose them, but each to their own and all that (plus am I really going to change anyone's mind by telling them their choices are boring and over popular, no).

I'm always surprised that it doesn't go both ways.

A word of advice to people who like to ridicule more unusual name choices. It tends to have the opposite effect and make us realise why we would want to keep well away from the top ten/100/100. We don't want approval from people with such narrow minded attitudes.

curlew Fri 27-Sep-13 15:24:31

"Maybe those that prefer more creative names have enough imagination to see that everyone is different?"

But apparently not enough imagination to see what life might be like for the child concerned with one of these oh so imaginative, hipster names........

squoosh Fri 27-Sep-13 15:29:42

I don't think Aurelia is 'far out'. confused

tammytoby Fri 27-Sep-13 16:01:07

"But apparently not enough imagination to see what life might be like for the child concerned with one of these oh so imaginative, hipster names........"

I wonder where you live. What would their life be like? confused

Here, most people are open minded about different names - at our school we have kids from all over the world and there are lots of different names including many that some of you might describe as 'unusual' or 'hipster'. But everyone accepts them and the kids seem very happy too!

Also, having been one of 3 with the same name in my school year and at work being known as 'little X', I'd much rather have a name that identifies me. Isn't that what naming should be all about?

charleslingus Fri 27-Sep-13 16:34:44

Surely it goes the other way as well? What about being 'one of the Joes' or Amy m, b or d. You wouldn't feel very unique would you, I wouldn't want my child to feel like one of many, what would life be like for them.

I feel very lucky to have an unusual name, and my parents brought me up to have enough self esteem and strength to understand if anyone had a problem with my name it said more about them than me. Though I can happily say I didn't ever suffer at the hands of my name, and school was 15 years ago for me.

Now that there is a lot more diversity in names I would see an unusual name as being a non existent problem...

curlew Fri 27-Sep-13 18:12:54

Having an unusual name doesn't make you unique. Being you does that. Are you really saying that everyone not called Sequoia or Halcyon is destined to to a life of boring conformity. Like John Lennon, Brian Cox and Miranda Hart?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now