One week till the registry office appointment: our girl's name shortlist

(62 Posts)

Baby girl is two weeks old, and we have booked our slot at the registry office a week tomorrow... Need a name!

The brief is 1. to go with DS (George) but not in too matchy a way. 2. To be "euro-royal" or otherwise vaguely aristocratic. 3. Not too popular but not unspellable/have to be explained all the time. 4. Surnames for last two initials are C P, the P is one-syllable so given name has to be 2 or more beats. 5. Nothing ending in -ia, -ie, -y, much prefer strong consonant endings.

We started with a long list of more like 20 and are now down to these, just looking for last votes really, or if there are unfortunate nicknames.

Beatrix
Edith
Helena
Marguerite
Matilda
Rosalind

I like them all except Edith, Helena is my favourite from your list.

hawkmcqueen Sun 22-Sep-13 10:47:39

In order of preference:
George and Helena
George and Rosalind
George and Beatrix

George and Edith sounds like 70s sitcom
George and Margeurite I don't think goes
George and Matilda, I am just not keen

Did you discount Charlotte and Madeleine? They are the only euro princesses I have at the tip of my tounge!

sooperdooper Sun 22-Sep-13 10:48:57

I love Beatrix, that's my favourite from your list smile

AndThatsWhatIThinkOfYou Sun 22-Sep-13 10:49:43

beatrix

weaselinthenight Sun 22-Sep-13 10:51:09

Love your euro-royal criterion.

I like Rosalind best from your list. The others look good with George, but personally I don't like them as much as individual names. Rosalind is lovely - classic but unusual. Several possible shortenings (Ros, Rosie, Rosa, Lin, Linda, Lindy) but I do like the full name best.

tethersend Sun 22-Sep-13 11:05:50

I like Edith best.

MadameJosephine Sun 22-Sep-13 11:10:30

Rosalind is my favourite. I like Helena but think it would be forever misheard/pronounced as Eleanor. Not keen in any of the others

MortifiedAdams Sun 22-Sep-13 11:12:55

Matilda, Tilda as a nn

Kaekae Sun 22-Sep-13 11:18:22

Beatrix or Matilda, really dislike Edith.

HeavenstoMurgatroyd Sun 22-Sep-13 11:18:26

Have you considered:
Alice
Charlotte
Eleanor
Alexandra
Frances
Louise

fruitpastille Sun 22-Sep-13 11:24:42

I love Matilda (biased) and think it goes well with George (nice subtle roald dahl connection too?). Am pg and considering Alexandra myself which fits your criteria.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 22-Sep-13 11:24:43

Love Beatrix and Matilda

mummratheevertired Sun 22-Sep-13 11:45:39

I just had a baby on Friday and have decided on Beatrix! So that one of course. Loads of nicknames too, Bee, bea, Bixie, Betty, Beaty, trixy! She is Bee for now as my 2 year old can say that! Congratulations !

CarriMarie Sun 22-Sep-13 11:48:06

Matilda is my favourite, goes best with George. Also like Helena and Beatrix and Eleanor would match your criteria.

My favourite from your list is Matilda. Great list though, have you tried them all out on her for a day / half a day to see if one just 'fits'

Ruprekt Sun 22-Sep-13 11:58:03

George and Matilda

Littlecherublegs Sun 22-Sep-13 11:59:53

I like Matilda best.
Beatrix is ok though prefer Beatrice.
Not overly keen on the others.

squoosh Sun 22-Sep-13 12:10:43

grin grin at '2. To be "euro-royal" or otherwise vaguely aristocratic.'

hettienne Sun 22-Sep-13 12:13:29

Beatrix, Edith and Matilda are my favourites from your list. I would say Matilda is becoming quite popular though if you want to avoid that.

Tea1Sugar Sun 22-Sep-13 12:17:19

Matilda definitely nn Tilly

charleslingus Sun 22-Sep-13 13:16:22

Marguerite if you want the name to be a bit more unusual and surprising

Beatrix is lovely, bear in mind there are lots of little Beatrices popping up, but great nonetheless and the euro version is nice so is the Spanish Beatriz

Same with Matilda, great name, getting v popular. What about Mathilde to get in the eurocrat feel.

Also Margot is a fabulous name with a similar feel?

lottiegarbanzo Sun 22-Sep-13 13:47:11

There are a lot of Matildas around.

I'd go for rosalind or maybe Beatrix.

Thanks for all these lovely comments!

Some that we have discounted are because of being too popular (Alice, Charlotte, Eleanor, Alexandra, Frances, Louise) and also one if those is my name... To be honest even Matilda is quite popular for me. We have a close friend Eleanor but I would use Helena even though it has the same root but goes via the Greek (I think) rather than the French. We'd probably use Margot as a nn for Marguerite, or Peggy or Daisy of course!

I knew 'euro-royal/aristo' would get a smile on MN!! The original #2 rule was English Queens because both me and my mum are those (A and E) but Caroline, Catherine and Charlotte don't go with the C middle name, I just don't like Victoria, like Anne and Jane but they are too short... So then you go back to the Wessex and Norman queens which is how Edith and Matilda are on the shortlist. Then I went for princesses which brings in Someone on my antenatal fb group has pointed out that Beatrix Edith is very 'House of Eliot'...!

Glad there seem to be no howlers in the esteemed MN opinion... Yes we are trying them out for a day each, we're on Edith today... Just wondering if Edie will get mistaken for Evie when hollered across the playground.

Forgot to finish the sentence about princesses. Beatrix, Marguerite and Helena (also previously on the list but now binned were Claudine, Augusta, and lots of other similarly obscure Danes, Greeks and Romanovs!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now