Help needed

(14 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Sun 22-Sep-13 08:52:30

in naming a puppy.

My parents have just got a 5 month old puppy and she's in need of a name by tomorrow as she's got to go to puppy classes and can't be nameless.

She's a wire-haired fox terrier and completely gorgeous. A few things have made the short-list (Doris, Peggy, Madge) but nothing's completely jumped out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 22-Sep-13 09:14:05

I like old lady names for terriers. Can I add to your list: Dot, Beryl, Libby, Tess, Elsie.

invicta Sun 22-Sep-13 09:17:49

Kim

Pippa

Gracie

Lucy

Flossie

Flora

Suki

Lottie

Ruby

Missy

rachyconks Sun 22-Sep-13 09:20:05

Betty

withaspongeandarustyspanner Sun 22-Sep-13 09:32:32

All brilliant - thank you. I shall present them with the list later.

Keep them coming.

I just thought of another - not an old lady name, but quite appropriate for an inquisitive little pup - what do you think to Scout?

BlackholesAndRevelations Sun 22-Sep-13 09:50:27

I know a dog named scout and it's perfect!

withaspongeandarustyspanner Sun 22-Sep-13 11:16:51

Can you believe parents don't want to use Scout?! Oh well, that means I can add it to my future dogs names list. grin

invicta Sun 22-Sep-13 14:04:32

Let us know what is chosen, please.

elcranko Mon 23-Sep-13 08:07:25

Ethel, Betty, Marnie, Rosie, Maud smile

Let us know what the winner is, I'd love to know!

RosesInTheRain Mon 23-Sep-13 10:06:31

Bridget, Morag

our terrier is Mabel...

UriGeller Mon 23-Sep-13 10:11:00

I had a dog called Prue when I was a kid. Short for Prudence, after the song Dear Prudence (Siouxsie and the Banshees version) I desperately wanted to be a punk because my elder brothers girlfriend was one blush

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 25-Sep-13 12:49:18

Despite my best efforts with Scout (and she is SUCH a scout) they (or rather my Dad, because he got fed up with the indecision) chose Peggy.

My Mum was swayed by all your suggestions and it just added to the indecision in the end grin. But we certainly tried out Bridget, Morag, Flossie, Betty, Dot and Mabel.

(They took over a week to come up with my name too).

And Peggy is the cutest little pup, very pesky though - she's been living in a barn with lots of other dogs and pups and keeps getting on the sofa. I think they have their work cut out.

Thank you for all your help flowers

Bowlersarm Wed 25-Sep-13 12:51:05

Pesky Peggy - perfect.

(I was coming on to suggest my current favourite name for a puppy - Dora)

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 25-Sep-13 13:20:28

Oh, Dora is adorable!

Well, in a few years, when she's old enough, they hope to breed from her - so I'll hopefully have one of the pups. And I'll be back on here trying to find a name as I'll've forgotten all about Scout, Dora, Mabel, Betty etc smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now