Ernest?

(29 Posts)
KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 18:26:56

As a sibling for Iris. We have several girls' names we're choosing between, but less inspired for boys' names.

Ernest is a family name ... but he'll get called Ernie, won't he? Don't like Ernie.

Anyone got any clever similar ideas?

sonlypuppyfat Sat 21-Sep-13 18:33:45

My BIL is Ernest he gets called Ernie and big Ern. Oh he gets called worse too under my breath.

gallicgirl Sat 21-Sep-13 18:36:03

You can't. Seriously.

How about. ...

Edward
Leonard
Sidney
Archie
Harvey
Alexander
Toby

Confuseddd Sat 21-Sep-13 18:39:35

Wilfred - Wilf
Albert - Albie
Theodore - Theo
Hector
Erno
Harold - Harry

dyslexicdespot Sat 21-Sep-13 18:40:54

I really like it and I love 'The importance of being Earnest'. We meet a little Ernest in the park the other day, he was lovely.

KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 18:42:37

Is it really that bad, gallic? Thought it was okay. But don't like Ernie or big Ern so we may be in need of a rethink.

Sidney and Alexander I like but both have been used in the family. Harvey makes me think of giant invisible rabbits. Edward is a possibility...

IslaValargeone Sat 21-Sep-13 18:44:19

Slightly biased as I know 2 Ernies who happen to be totally gorgeous, so it gets my vote.

KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 18:44:52

Ooh, I like Wilfred as well (and Alfred, but DH has vetoed that).

KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 18:53:49

Oh, and should possibly add that I'm not that keen on names that will be shortened - I never, ever use my full name and I'd prefer a stand-alone name with no nn. Just to be difficult.

niffernaffer Sat 21-Sep-13 19:43:38

Ernest is lovely. It goes beautifully with Iris too.
Could always shorten to Nestor/ Ness or just stick with full name and not take any notice of anyone who calls him Ernie (although I quite like Ernie too).

exoticfruits Sat 21-Sep-13 19:53:17

Dire - and you have no control over nicknames, that is up to him.
Edward, Edmund or Edwin are better.

KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 20:19:18

Not thought of Edwin, thank you. Will run that past DH (when DD finally goes to sleep...)

DoItTooJulia Sat 21-Sep-13 20:24:41

Love, love love Ernest.

I know an Edmund. He gets called Ned.

everlong Sat 21-Sep-13 20:29:28

Never.

releasethehounds Sat 21-Sep-13 20:32:24

My late Dad was Ernest. And yes, apart from his father he was always called Ernie. Think I prefer Ernie actually. It's an older name which hasn't really come back into fashion in the UK but I believe it's quite popular for kids in USA.

Lexiesinclair Sat 21-Sep-13 20:33:10

I think Ernest is lovely, as is Wilfred.

And Iris is beautiful. smile

Oubliette0292 Sat 21-Sep-13 20:37:36

I love Ernest (and my DS is called Wilfred, so obviously love that too). How about Hugh, Alec or Laurence?

KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 20:40:51

This name seems to be dividing opinion a bit grin but thank youniffer and release for liking Ernie - maybe I can get used to it or learn to live with him being called it. I'd never thought of Ernie being a nice name.

Ernest was my grandad who died about 5 years ago - he was a stroppy wonderful man who would stand up for his principles no matter what. I miss the arguments discussions we used to have. He also used to bemoan the fact that a lot of the older names were coming back into fashion, but no little boys were being called Ernest. I miss him.

In that case, definitely go for it. It's a great reason to pick a name. And just let it go when his mates call him Ernie (which I also like, by the way).

rockybalboa Sat 21-Sep-13 21:11:15

I love Ernie/Ernest. How about Edgar?

Smartiepants79 Sat 21-Sep-13 21:15:15

The Importance of being?.???
Wouldn't choose it myself.
Very old fashioned.
Baby Ernest?
But the family connection is good.
If you like it choose it but he will be Ernie to most people I suspect.

releasethehounds Sat 21-Sep-13 21:35:48

Katamari - I miss my Dad Ernie too! He was also one to express his opinions forcefully, but also a good laugh.

Grannylipstick Sat 21-Sep-13 21:46:44

I love it. Ernest or ernie. Both fab.

exoticfruits Sat 21-Sep-13 22:15:41

You could put it as a second name.

KatamariDamacy Sat 21-Sep-13 23:06:30

Love Edgar but it doesn't work with surname.

I agree exotic, we'll use Ernest as a middle name if we don't choose it as a first name (and assuming we have a boy!) but still rather like it.

And release, glad to hear about another forthright Ernest/Ernie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now