Nn for Tristan

(14 Posts)
TheLeftovermonster Sat 21-Sep-13 22:09:38

Sorry, meant just Trix.
Or Stan.

TheLeftovermonster Sat 21-Sep-13 22:08:08

Trixi

CatAmongThePigeons Sat 21-Sep-13 20:52:27

We usually call our Tristan Tris, or Trissy if we want to embarass him a little!

mejon Sat 21-Sep-13 20:49:30

DB is Trystan and was known either by his full name or as Tryst in the family. Despite being Welsh-speakers, the 'trist' connotation never occurred to me (I prn. 'trist' as treest so I guess that's why) and I did German not French in school so wouldn't get the French-connection either grin. SIL calls him Trys and the son of friends of theirs called him Stan when he was little and I think that's stuck.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 21-Sep-13 16:11:31

Thanks banana - I think we are leaning towards the Trystan spelling anyway as I'm Welsh. So maybe we'll manage to avoid the Trist thing. Perhaps.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 21-Sep-13 16:10:31

I like TisTis, TinTin and Tosh. All lovely smile do you think we could get away with T or Tre?

It's only while he's a tiny cute thing that it matters really - school kids will call him what they like and 'Tristan' on its own is just fine for an older boy

bananamummy Sat 21-Sep-13 15:11:15

I think Tris/Trist is the most likely nickname at school (and sadly, I too think of sad). I think you may have to accept that Trist is part of the name. Perhaps spell it Trystan?

The only Tristan I knew,was known as Tris,mainly.

Minty82 Sat 21-Sep-13 14:20:17

I know a little Tristan known as Tintin, but I think that's a family thing rather than something he'd be introduced as or anyone else would call him.

bootsycollins Sat 21-Sep-13 14:09:08

T
T. rex
Stan
Tris

SPBisResisting Sat 21-Sep-13 14:04:06

My friend's brother gets called Tris
DS is Tristan (not named after friend's brother) and I expect he'll get the same, although at the moment he is just Tristan. When he was just learning to speak he called himself "Tis-tis" before he could say his name, and I loved it - still call him it sometimes grin

Wafflenose Sat 21-Sep-13 14:02:26

The one I used to know went by Tris. Or Tosh!

lljkk Sat 21-Sep-13 13:48:59

Tricky/Trickster.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 21-Sep-13 13:48:01

I know these type of threads always result in people saying "you can't predict nn's they just happen" or "why have a nn"

However...would like helpful thoughts please.

We've already chosen Tristan / Trystan (not 100% on sp yet) and are happy with it. However, our other DS has a 2 syllable name & virtually always goes by a nn so I would really feel much happier if we had one for DS2 as well.

Def don't want to shorten to Trist (due to 'sad' connotations). The only things I can think of are Trissy / Twizzy which is a bit naff of Tre which I'm not sure we'd get away with.

Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now