Only like popular girl names - help!!

(38 Posts)
IBelieveInPink Sat 21-Sep-13 10:30:50

We are having a nightmare finding a name for our baby girl.
In the short list so far has been
Isobel
Imogen
Mya
Claudia
Natasha

All of which seem to be making a sudden jump in popularity! I know Isobel and Mya have been popular for a while - but now Imogen and claudia seem to be up there too?
DH doesn't care how popular a name is, but I dont want her to go to school and be one of 4 Isobel's!

Problem is, those are literally the only few names we agree on.

Any suggestions for similar names which haven't hit popularity yet?

Alternatively - does it really matter if 4 kids in class are all called the same?

LittleBearPad Sat 21-Sep-13 10:33:14

No it doesn't matter. Popular names are popular for a reason - they're nice names!

I like Claudia and Imogen of your choices but they are all great might steer clear of Mia/Mya

buzzgirly Sat 21-Sep-13 10:51:32

I agree with LittleBear - they're popular names because they are lovely!

If it helps my 5 yo dd name has been in the top ten for the last few years, but I am yet to meet another one!

cherrytomato40 Sat 21-Sep-13 10:54:00

I don't think Claudia or Natasha are particularly popular- at least I have 2 DDs and work in a primary school and I have never come across one! Both lovely names.

I would avoid Isobel and Mya though if you are worried about popularity.

AboutTimeForAChange Sat 21-Sep-13 10:54:32

Mya is a beautiful name.

Iwaswatchingthat Sat 21-Sep-13 10:56:33

I would agree popular for a reason. My dds have very popular names according to the top ten lists, but my younger dd is the only one with her name in the whole school, and my older dd is the only one in her key stage.

Sparrowfarts Sat 21-Sep-13 11:01:04

Remember too that adults don't go around in age groups - it's only for a few years that she might be with some other girls of the same name, so give her a lovely name for life.

elcranko Sat 21-Sep-13 11:26:32

I love Imogen and Natasha from your list.

The top names are popular for a reason, it's because they're lovely!

dontblameme Sat 21-Sep-13 11:47:55

Being one of 4 (3 in my case) girls in one class with the same name is really annoying! She will be "tall Isobel" or "blonde Mya" etc!

I agree that Imogen and Natasha are the prettiest, and not overly popular either.

Coconutty Sat 21-Sep-13 11:50:00

I don't think Natasha is overused at the moment but would absolutely avoid Isobel/Isabel.

What about Ishbel?

Bowlersarm Sat 21-Sep-13 11:54:07

I would have said that Natasha is quite rare.

MrsBungle Sat 21-Sep-13 11:58:29

My cousin is called Natasha, she's 35. I've never actually met another one - no babies I know have been called this in the last 5 years.

NadiaWadia Sat 21-Sep-13 12:33:50

I thought the usual spelling was Maya? Do you pronounce Mya 'my-a?'

Apart from that all the names you like are lovely, as is Maya, but not Mya, seems like something is missing.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anaotchan Sat 21-Sep-13 13:03:39

ugh, I have the same problem!!

when I found out I was pregnant, I started thinking about names on my own - and once I'd decided that "Olivia", "Amelia" and "Sophie" were lovely, I went to look online, and discovered that's what everyone calls their daughters these days!

I was actually pretty shocked to find out how deeply our subconscious in influenced by the generic "taste" around us. I mean, I'm not even British, and I managed to unwittingly pick 3 names all in the top ten shock

Tikkamasala Sat 21-Sep-13 13:04:54

I don't think Natasha is popular. I met one through work the other day actually and thought oh what a lovely name that you hardly ever hear! Definitely big thumbs up for Natasha from me. Imogen would be my next pick. I don't think any would be one of 4 in the class except maybe Isobel.

anaotchan Sat 21-Sep-13 13:07:35

Sorry, just realized I'm not being helpful at all here, so here's my attempt at advice:

I don't think it matters as much these days if your DC's name is high in the charts, because people are a lot more varied in their choice. 30 years ago there may have been 5 "number 1 name" in each class, but today there may only be 1, because people know what is trendy and purposefully try to give their kids more original names. Here's hoping, anyway...

Oh and Imogen sounds like a really posh/pretentious name to me. Love Claudia, though!!

cece Sat 21-Sep-13 13:14:15

I'm not keen on Natasha as I really dislike the nn of Tash. I always feel it is unfortunate if there is a facial hair issue.

I work in school and have 3 DC. I would avoid Mia or variations of as it is popular. The other names on your list aren't especially popular imo.

Chottie Sat 21-Sep-13 13:24:50

I would steer clear of Isobel / Isabelle as it is very popular around here (SE London) but I don't know of any Claudias or Imogens and both are beautiful names.

It is difficult with names. I chose two names I liked and my DC are now in their 30s and their names are really, really popular now, so you just can't win smile

Mutteroo Sat 21-Sep-13 13:25:16

If you like the name then choose it. My DC are known by their nn which are both extremely popular & I LOVE their names & wouldn't want them to be known as anything else! My DC are unique in who they are, its never bothered them if there's three others sharing their name & they've never been known as 'short Bob' or 'skinny Sue'....Maybe because that's not their names! (sorry I'm in a silly mood).

You'll know what's the right name for your baby & good luck.

Mutteroo Sat 21-Sep-13 13:25:56

Forgot to say, I love Mya. Such a pretty name.

WafflyVersatile Sat 21-Sep-13 13:31:49
Tavv Sat 21-Sep-13 13:36:28

Natasha is a lovely name and I don't know any little Natashas. I like Mya and Isobel too, and would say these are very popular.

IBelieveInPink Sat 21-Sep-13 14:53:39

Thanks all. I think you are right, I just had a moment of panic when I logged on this morning and saw 3 threads that mentioned 'claudia' or 'Imogen'

I have already discounted isobel (which i had picked since i was in my teens- damn you twilight) and Mya - because as most of you said there is loads around! Gorgeous names, but just too popular.

Imogen and Natasha are our top two - and are staying as such. Really appreciate the feedback - think I was having a hormonal meltdown this morning!

manicinsomniac Sat 21-Sep-13 14:54:51

All lovely names and, apart from Isabel, I don't they're overly popular at all.

The Under 16s I know include:
14 Isabels
3 Myas
3 Natashas
1 Imogen
0 Claudias

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now