Girls name shortlist- help us choose!!!

(21 Posts)
Up2nogood Sat 21-Sep-13 03:32:08

Finally dh and i have a short list of names for dd due in 3 weeks. First 3 are mine, last 3 his, but we don't really massively agree on any (maybe 1) . What do you think? Ds is an Isaac. 

Aurelia (pronounced Or-ree-li-a) I absolutely LOVE this but dh is unconvinced 
Florence (our possible agreement)
Esme/Esmie
Alexandra 
Felicity 
Grace (my husbands favourite but I prefer this as a middle name). 

lolalotta Sat 21-Sep-13 03:45:33

Florence.
I know of a little girl with a similar name to your first choice but find it so unusual that I can never remember how it is pronounced so avoid saying it when I am chatting to her Mum IYKWIM as I am afraid of getting it wrong!

BellaOfTheBalls Sat 21-Sep-13 03:46:41

I am a Florence. �� it has always served me well.

Esme is beautiful but you need to be prepared that people will pronounce it es-may

Alexandra is a bit meh for me, like Felicity and I'm with you on the Grace as a middle name thing. Aurelia Grace has a lovely ring to it...

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 21-Sep-13 03:50:18

In order;

Grace - my favourite from your list. Lovely and simple, but quite popular. I like Gracie for when she's little.
Florence - nice, but popular atm
Felicity - nice, I like Flick as a nn, not as overused as the other two.
Alexandra - a bit of a mouthful, but still nice. Good nn choices.
Esme/Esmie - not for me.
Aurelia - I don't like the sound of it, makes me think of an ear disorder.

There is an Esme at DD's preschool. I said, "oh, I love that, Es-may" to her Dad, he said, "Es-mee" grumpily. I bloody do love Esme though.

Aurelia is Love Actually.

SubliminalMassaging Sat 21-Sep-13 05:03:07

Aurelia is usually pronounced Or-Ray-li-a, so don't choose it unless you are prepared for everyone to say it like that, because they will. I don't especially like it, but I like it less the way you pronounce it - sorry!

Florence is lovely.
Esme (Ez-may) is lovely
Alexandra is very nice, classic, a bit safe maybe
Felicity - definitely my favourite from your list. Very pretty, classic but not over-used or boring.
Grace - same as Alexandra.

DSJamesHathaway Sat 21-Sep-13 07:20:05

I really like all the names you listed, particularly Aurelia. I agree Grace feels more like a middle name than a first name.

Up2nogood Sun 22-Sep-13 09:52:09

Ohhh very mixed opinions!!!
I don't know anyone named Aurelia myself but from my research most people say they know people called it pronounced with 'Ree' although there is a mix if 'Ray'. It doesn't bother me massively if people miss pronounce / spell.
What nn choices would you say for Alexandra....dh says Alex, I'm a bit Meh about that.

everlong Sun 22-Sep-13 10:17:46

Not keen on Aurelia - too much of a mouth full, a bit wishy washy.
Love Esme and Florence. I like Alexandra but not shortened to Alex - too masculine.
Grace is pretty.

What about Harriet?

weaselinthenight Sun 22-Sep-13 10:33:46

Ooh we have very similar taste in names! I wanted an Aurelia, I love Felicity, and I think Grace is a beautiful middle name.
Florence is lovely but is very popular these days, much more so than the other names on your list I think. If it were Alexandra, what would you use as a shortened version - Alex, Lexie, Xandra?
In case it helps, other names I wanted were Isadora or Tabitha.

Tavv Sun 22-Sep-13 10:52:57

I think your DH's choices go better with Isaac.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 22-Sep-13 18:39:54

Nicknames for Alexandra;

Alex
Alexa
Ale (Ah-lee)
Sasha
Andy
Lex
Lexa
Lexie

I'd use Sasha or Alexa.

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Sun 22-Sep-13 18:43:34

Love Aurelia, but would also pronounce Or Ray Lee A.

Also like Florence but it was pretty popular a couple of years ago round here.

EasyMark Sun 22-Sep-13 18:50:17

Esme Gracie all the way for me. I love it.

manicinsomniac Sun 22-Sep-13 20:05:11

I love Felicity and Alexandra. Grace would be perfect as a middle name for either. I also really like Esme and quite like Florence. I'm not so keen on Aurelia.

CarriMarie Sun 22-Sep-13 21:02:02

Florence or Felicity (with Grace as middle).

Up2nogood Wed 25-Sep-13 00:04:23

Thank you everyone for your comments, they've been helpful. We're down to 3 now:
Florence Grace
Emse Grace (or possibly Esme Jean)
Felicity Grace

We're getting there....slowly!! smile

MrsDibble Wed 25-Sep-13 10:53:59

Probably a bit late to say I like Alexandra best!

Of the three you have picked I like Esme best, but that is only because of a Felicity and Florence I have known...

elcranko Wed 25-Sep-13 11:28:08

Out of your new three possibles I like Esme Grace best. I like Florence but not Florence Grace because of the similar ending sounds.

everlong Wed 25-Sep-13 12:05:52

I love all those 3 you've picked OP.

Probably go for Felicity just because there aren't that many about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now