Which spelling Y or IE

(54 Posts)
daughterofafarmer Thu 19-Sep-13 18:19:29

Which do you prefer and why?

Johnny or Johnnie

Surname 'M' 3 syllables

TIA

bananamummy Thu 19-Sep-13 22:08:22

But the op said earlier that it will be most likely John as full name and so I assumed Johnnie/Johnny/Jonnie are nickname options.

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 22:12:55

Yes but she says he'll be Johnny day to day, sounds like John will just be for birth certs and official forms.

daughterofafarmer Thu 19-Sep-13 22:30:37

squoosh so wise!

We are taking about it, however like many things it would be easier if DH just kept his nose out grin

daughterofafarmer Thu 19-Sep-13 22:35:01

The problem is my Dad is John...and whist I love my dear old pa. I don't really want to name my son after him, just quite like Johnny hmm however I will let my dad think this is the case as that might be a bit mean wink

After suggesting Johnny, DH now not too sure. And breath....

Jojay Thu 19-Sep-13 22:38:24

Johnny, definitely.

Bowlersarm Thu 19-Sep-13 22:41:11

Johnny.

I know of four boys called Johnny (tbh I'm not sure they are all spelt like that) from toddler to mid teens, and I just wanted to say that it is a really nice name to say, and suits all age groups really well. I think it's quite a cool name ie the owners of the name are all cool popular kids.

Persuade your DH OP.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 19-Sep-13 22:41:49

John classy timeless name anything ending with y or ie is silly

Bowlersarm Thu 19-Sep-13 22:44:19

.....no it's not.

CointreauVersial Thu 19-Sep-13 22:44:19

I hate IE as a name ending; think it is cutesie and horrible.

I have a name that can be shortened to a Y or IE, and woe betide anyone that spells it wrong.

reggiebean Thu 19-Sep-13 22:45:39

I prefer Johnny. I think Jonny looks strange, and Johnnie reminds me of Johnnie Walker.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 19-Sep-13 22:47:01

I have an old fashioned biblical name which people just love to shorten and add an ie to it I hate it

invinovomitas Thu 19-Sep-13 22:47:38

John, nicknamed Johnny is lovely. I'm less keen on Jonny/Jonathan, although I do love the nickname Jonty, which only really works as a shortening of Jonathan.

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 22:48:14

I agree Bowlers, I don't really like Charlie/Jamie type names but to me Johnny is different. I know Johnnys of all ages and they're generally 'cool' people. One in particular is one of the most handsome men I know and a really talented musician. Oh and one's an 87 year old (or near enough) farmer!

I think it's pretty timeless.

daughterofafarmer Thu 19-Sep-13 22:49:23

If my child is cool and popular by default does this mean his parents are too, right wink Thanks Bowler it does suit all ages I agree.

Anything ending with a y or ie is silly Really...do you hold this view just for Johnny or all names ending in y / ie?

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 22:49:26

Sonlypuppyfat I bet you're a Deborah! I wouldn't fancy being called Debbie either to be honest.

daughterofafarmer Thu 19-Sep-13 22:50:19

X post

InStyle Thu 19-Sep-13 22:51:26

What a thoroughly nasty post from Angus. Really no need.

Anyway, OP, I much prefer Johnny. It seems more balanced to me. Don't like the ie ending, feels feminine. But it depends whether it's John or Jonathan - one naturally takes the "h" the other doesn't.

Fab name btw, I really like it smile

sonlypuppyfat Thu 19-Sep-13 22:51:41

I've got a neighbor of 25 years whose just treated me to a mug with Debbie on...oh joy

daughterofafarmer Thu 19-Sep-13 22:52:09

Whist I'm not the biggest fan of oame y / ie names. Johnny seems oddly a little different to me..

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 22:56:01

sonlypuppyfat I think a bit of grafitti on their front door aong the lines of 'the name's DEBORAH you stupid mo'fos!' is called for. wink

sonlypuppyfat Thu 19-Sep-13 22:57:10

That's a brilliant idea thank you

TheBuskersDog Netherlands Thu 19-Sep-13 23:21:31

Slightly off-topic but why do people on here talk about 'nicknames' all the time, if your parents register you as William but you are known as Will that is not a nickname, it's just William known as Will (I know it's actually a diminutive).

If your name is William Sharpe but friends call you Sharpie, that is a nickname. Nicknames are not what your parents choose for you.

My brother is Nicholas, called Nicky as a young child and Nick since teenage years, neither are nicknames but he has had a nickname related to our surname since a young age as well. (Sorry lots of nicks there).

twentyfourcarat Fri 20-Sep-13 00:03:24

I prefer Johnnie but either would be wonderful.

3boysgirlontheway Fri 20-Sep-13 08:25:28

Johnny, I like it a lot.

looki Fri 20-Sep-13 08:51:07

Johnny. Anything else just looks made up IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now