Barley?

(70 Posts)
Moopsy Fri 13-Sep-13 13:52:20

Hi,

I once met a young girl called Barley and I thought it was a beautiful name and really suited her. I have always kept it at the back of my mind thinking maybe to use for dd3 if we have another girl this time...

But how does it come across to you? Old, posh, chavy, plain odd? And do you like it?

Thanks. smile

MrsOakenshield Fri 13-Sep-13 15:38:30

isn't it what beer is made from? I suppose if it became more popular it wouldn't sound so odd, but as it is, it just sounds . . . odd!

ZingWantsCake Fri 13-Sep-13 15:43:30

oh ffs can't people just use normal names?

of course you can choose anything to be a name!
doesn't mean you should.

hi my name is Barley
what? Barney?
no, Barley!
Marlie?
Barley!
ah, Marley!
no no, Barley
Valerie?
BARLEY!
grin oh Susan it's you isn't it? you sre such a prankster!
angry angry angry angry angry angry

in summary - no. don't name your child Barley

Cezella Fri 13-Sep-13 15:47:26

I'm going to go against the grain (haha get it?!) here and say I actually quite like it- I'd certainly not think it was odd if I heard it, I think it's quite pretty! Incidentally I know two little girls called Gwenith which is literally the welsh word for wheat- so don't see why you can't have Barley!

NatashaBee Fri 13-Sep-13 15:50:36

I don't like it but know plenty of other people with 'plant' names (sage, willow, daisy, rose for eg) and don't bat an eyelid at those so I guess it's not bad. Does it have to be Barley? What about Bailey?

Moopsy Fri 13-Sep-13 15:53:42

Thank you for your responses. smile It is actually a real name so it is "normal" except unusual as you have never heard it before... When I asked around I was told it is an old name, people said "a bit like Miles"... hmm

I am not British originally so it is interesting for me to understand how that name is labelled as I cannot naturally fit it hence my question about old, posh, chavy etc... I wouldn't like to name my child not understanding what she will have to bear culturally for the rest of her life... blush

I can see the food connection and not sure I'd like my kid to be bullied for all her school years because of it really... smile

Thank you again for all your responses, this is very interesting. Still like the spelling and sound but not sure I'll give it now... smile

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 13-Sep-13 15:56:58

I prefer Quinoa.

cece Fri 13-Sep-13 16:03:01

It's a nice word but truly I think it would be dreadful to use it for a person...

Moopsy Fri 13-Sep-13 16:05:51

@LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops, you made me laugh! grin

ZingWantsCake Fri 13-Sep-13 16:11:46

LifeIsBetter

challenge accepted

this is Quinoa

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 16:31:23

I like it. It's hippyish, like Willow and Skye

SoupDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 16:32:02

It sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 16:32:04

I know an adult called Barley.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 16:32:55

It's not a very "safe" name though. But if you love it that wouldn't put you off

MaireadnotMermaid Fri 13-Sep-13 16:33:18

er not really, no.

chickydoo Fri 13-Sep-13 16:44:42

My cousins Dog is called Barley

TheBuskersDog Netherlands Fri 13-Sep-13 16:52:30

Sounds like a pony, or maybe a labrador or sheepdog..

Moopsy Fri 13-Sep-13 17:04:01

I'm surprised as I thought it was a much more common name... smile

I find Poppy much sillier though IMO...

Zoe789 Fri 13-Sep-13 17:16:05

it's not chavvy, it's croppy.

But on its own it seems bonkers. I know a family that has used names like clover and other nature names. Actually their children's names sound quite hunger games (and their children were here before THG) so it would depend what the older siblings were called. First born called Barley, no context, I would just think 'yakkkkk'. sorry.

GoingUpInTheWorld Fri 13-Sep-13 17:19:12

I prefer Bailey tbh

GoingUpInTheWorld Fri 13-Sep-13 17:21:04

I find poppy a silly name too.

Not many people like my dds name but i love it.

It's ridiculous.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 17:29:33

I don't like Poppy either - it's twee, to my ears. But tastes just do differ so widely

Zoe

It's not chavvy, it's chaffy <Arf>

Zoe789 Fri 13-Sep-13 17:32:34

ha ha Jamie, that was the joke I nearly made. I didn't quite get there. You're wheat, I'm chav, I mean chaff!

Sadie204 Fri 13-Sep-13 17:38:28

I don't think it's that bad but agree that it will get annoying correcting people who think it's Bailey.

Belmo Fri 13-Sep-13 20:34:11

In my Scottish accent it sounds absolutely nothing like Bailey or Bali, you couldn't possibly confuse them.
I think it's a nice sound but a bit too odd for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now