Baby boy name - Humphrey or Odhran

(66 Posts)
swild Wed 11-Sep-13 20:29:50

Help,

We cannot decide on baby boy name for DS who is now 7 days old! We are at polar opposites with me really liking Odhran and husband wanting Humphrey and thinking of a meet in the middle name of Aneurin.

Thoughts?

terilou87 Wed 18-Sep-13 21:38:48

Love odhran also have a friend with this name who is lovely so I'm bias! , his parents are Irish so this is a normal name for them, his name is pronounced or-ran
Also not keen on Humphrey it reminds me of frumpy

TalkativeJim Tue 17-Sep-13 23:04:10

Put them all together.

Humodheurin.

Problem solved!!

Weegiemum Tue 17-Sep-13 14:02:24

I love Odhran and know 2, plus an Oran (can't do the wee sloppy accent on the O). But my dc go to a Gaelic speaking school so names like this are quite ordinary.

Don't like either of the others. Aneurin looks like its making a political point and Humphrey just reminds me of Yes, Minister <shows age>

bananamummy Tue 17-Sep-13 13:59:15

Humphrey - underused classic, easy to recognise and spell.

Odhran - hard to spell/pronounce for many. Don't like the 'Odd' sound at beginning.

obviouslyneedsupernanny Tue 17-Sep-13 13:57:09

Sorry spelt it wrong!

obviouslyneedsupernanny Tue 17-Sep-13 13:56:38

I prefer Odrhan although I've never heard it before

evamummy Tue 17-Sep-13 13:44:42

Between the two, I'd pick Humphrey - people will know how to pronounce and spell it. Seems like a good solid underused name. I don't think you'd need to shorten it, rolls off the tongue easily imo.

Odhran I'd not know how to pronounce.

TalkativeJim Tue 17-Sep-13 13:07:36

All are fine actually!

Aneurin is getting more popular in Wales, usually shortened to Nye.

I like Odhran.

Humphrey is fine. Personally I would prefer an Orrie or a Nye to a Hump, so I'd discount the last.

What about Hugo?

Pachacuti Tue 17-Sep-13 12:21:32

Humphrey is perfectly fine. I know a baby Humphrey.

Twenty-five years ago I encountered my first baby Noah and thought hmm - it's been in the top 100 names for ten years now, currently at #14 and still on an upwards trend. Wilfred is following the same sort of pattern but about 10-15 years behind and early signs are that Humphrey is tracking about 5-10 years behind Wilfred.

In twenty years' time it'll be wall-to-wall Humphreys as far as the eye can see, you mark my words.

(I still didn't let DH name DC3 Basil, though. And not just because she was a girl)

curlew Tue 17-Sep-13 10:19:14

Humphrey is awful!

You are naming a child, then a man, not a stuffed toy. Don't name people who can't consent something that's a joke or a whim. It's irresponsible.

MERLYPUSS Tue 17-Sep-13 10:16:51

Humphrey was an ugly pig/elephant cushion thing in pipkins. Sorry, i'm showing my age here but that's what I thought at first. Eeek.

swild Mon 16-Sep-13 20:37:27

Can I ask what you did call your DS? We are still undecided and I am feeling the pressure from everyone now.

Tweediewalker Sun 15-Sep-13 21:33:09

Humphrey!!!

FacebookWanker Sun 15-Sep-13 20:59:40

I like Humphrey, although it makes me think of Humpty Dumpty...

ohmymimi Sun 15-Sep-13 20:51:01

Definitely Aneurin and Nye is a great nn.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 14-Sep-13 12:23:14

I wouldn't worry about autocorrect changing things. It doesn't even capitalise Wales!

Also - first time I types Hermione on my phone it tried to change it to gremlins hmm

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 14-Sep-13 12:21:21

Aneurin.

It's pronounced Ah-nay-rin though. Never been quite sure how Mr Bevan was nicknamed Nye. Aneurin Barnard is a young and very handsome actor <swoon>

Then Odhran. As someone said up thread if people didn't know, just as I didn't until this thread, they can ask and be told.

Never Humphrey.

mathanxiety Sat 14-Sep-13 04:47:11

Woops - you're not thinking of Aneurin as a mn <misread> -->
Choose Aneurin as the first name.

mathanxiety Sat 14-Sep-13 04:44:51

Odhran would be my choice. I wouldn't inflict Humphrey on anyone.

It's a whim of your H's - maybe something to do with not yet being able to wrap his head around the new arrival - and he needs to get real. The name you choose has to last a real person all through his life.

Aneurin otoh is a lovely name (imo)

You wouldn't think of Aran? No way you could use Aneurin as a mn for that, or Odhran either really...

PoppadomPreach Fri 13-Sep-13 16:25:08

I had a tortoise called Humphrey. He was never the "cool tortoise" and teased by the other tortoises. I felt very guilty about it and vowed never to use the name again. It is awful.

elcranko Fri 13-Sep-13 16:19:40

Love Odhran!

WeAreSeven Fri 13-Sep-13 15:49:52

I have a very Irish surname. Even Irish people who meet me ask how to pronounce it and if I don't know how to pronounce someone else's name I ask. I am not bothered about it, people only ever ask me once and then they get it right.
And if everyone stuck to the "no names that an English person might not be able to pronounce" ( and I do mean English, not Scottish or Welsh) then most people in the UK would be John or Mary and their would be no Siobháns, Niamhs, Eilidh's or Seáns or Cerys's.

rachel234 Fri 13-Sep-13 13:49:15

I vote for Humphrey - classic, cool and easy to pronounce/spell. I also prefer Humphrey Aneurin compared to Odhran Aneurin. Congrats on your ds!!

Artijoke Fri 13-Sep-13 12:20:29

Love all three. Humphrey is probably my fav but I have to admit we weren't brave enough to use it.

IslaValargeone Fri 13-Sep-13 12:19:29

Most people aren't going to say "Excuse me, but how do you pronounce your name"?
Most people are going to be like the posters here who don't know and take one look and think 'Odran' It's an awful name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now