Baby boy name - Humphrey or Odhran

(66 Posts)
swild Wed 11-Sep-13 20:29:50

Help,

We cannot decide on baby boy name for DS who is now 7 days old! We are at polar opposites with me really liking Odhran and husband wanting Humphrey and thinking of a meet in the middle name of Aneurin.

Thoughts?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 14-Sep-13 12:23:14

I wouldn't worry about autocorrect changing things. It doesn't even capitalise Wales!

Also - first time I types Hermione on my phone it tried to change it to gremlins hmm

ohmymimi Sun 15-Sep-13 20:51:01

Definitely Aneurin and Nye is a great nn.

FacebookWanker Sun 15-Sep-13 20:59:40

I like Humphrey, although it makes me think of Humpty Dumpty...

Tweediewalker Sun 15-Sep-13 21:33:09

Humphrey!!!

swild Mon 16-Sep-13 20:37:27

Can I ask what you did call your DS? We are still undecided and I am feeling the pressure from everyone now.

MERLYPUSS Tue 17-Sep-13 10:16:51

Humphrey was an ugly pig/elephant cushion thing in pipkins. Sorry, i'm showing my age here but that's what I thought at first. Eeek.

curlew Tue 17-Sep-13 10:19:14

Humphrey is awful!

You are naming a child, then a man, not a stuffed toy. Don't name people who can't consent something that's a joke or a whim. It's irresponsible.

Pachacuti Tue 17-Sep-13 12:21:32

Humphrey is perfectly fine. I know a baby Humphrey.

Twenty-five years ago I encountered my first baby Noah and thought hmm - it's been in the top 100 names for ten years now, currently at #14 and still on an upwards trend. Wilfred is following the same sort of pattern but about 10-15 years behind and early signs are that Humphrey is tracking about 5-10 years behind Wilfred.

In twenty years' time it'll be wall-to-wall Humphreys as far as the eye can see, you mark my words.

(I still didn't let DH name DC3 Basil, though. And not just because she was a girl)

TalkativeJim Tue 17-Sep-13 13:07:36

All are fine actually!

Aneurin is getting more popular in Wales, usually shortened to Nye.

I like Odhran.

Humphrey is fine. Personally I would prefer an Orrie or a Nye to a Hump, so I'd discount the last.

What about Hugo?

evamummy Tue 17-Sep-13 13:44:42

Between the two, I'd pick Humphrey - people will know how to pronounce and spell it. Seems like a good solid underused name. I don't think you'd need to shorten it, rolls off the tongue easily imo.

Odhran I'd not know how to pronounce.

obviouslyneedsupernanny Tue 17-Sep-13 13:56:38

I prefer Odrhan although I've never heard it before

obviouslyneedsupernanny Tue 17-Sep-13 13:57:09

Sorry spelt it wrong!

bananamummy Tue 17-Sep-13 13:59:15

Humphrey - underused classic, easy to recognise and spell.

Odhran - hard to spell/pronounce for many. Don't like the 'Odd' sound at beginning.

Weegiemum Tue 17-Sep-13 14:02:24

I love Odhran and know 2, plus an Oran (can't do the wee sloppy accent on the O). But my dc go to a Gaelic speaking school so names like this are quite ordinary.

Don't like either of the others. Aneurin looks like its making a political point and Humphrey just reminds me of Yes, Minister <shows age>

TalkativeJim Tue 17-Sep-13 23:04:10

Put them all together.

Humodheurin.

Problem solved!!

terilou87 Wed 18-Sep-13 21:38:48

Love odhran also have a friend with this name who is lovely so I'm bias! , his parents are Irish so this is a normal name for them, his name is pronounced or-ran
Also not keen on Humphrey it reminds me of frumpy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now